NJD fans who remember- the early 90s Devils between their 1988 and 1994 playoff runs

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Early 90s we couldn't get past a stacked Pitts team or the Rags because of shoddy goaltending by Terreri and when a Boschman goal was taken away vs Pitts in a Game 6. When it should have counted.

94 was lost when we just couldn't get that 3rd goal vs Richter in the 2nd period in Game 6.
He stood on his head but we also didn't shoot well and finish around 8 glorious prime chances.

We go up 3-0 and the Rags don't come back.
Marty melted in the 3rd period too but he was outstanding for a rookie that series.

Messier gets all the praise but Richter was the difference and the only reason the Rangers survived game 6. I don't even think it's debatable. Seriously, that Rangers team was dead in the water. And this is not even taking anything away from Brodeur as he had a great series as well. Richter was just a wall in that game after NJ went up 2-0. He would not relent. Had the Devils had a little more seasoning and big game experience at that time, I think they finish the job. I just look back at it as a necessary step the team needed to go through before making that final jump to champion.

Whatever the case, 93/94 was my first year following the team and that was a really fun team. I didn't experience the lean years prior but you could just tell how big winning game 7 against Buffalo was to the franchise and the fans. That crowd was going absolutely nuts after NJ clinched the series. Fun times. Everything after that was gravy.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
We could have lost in OT a half dozen times if not for unbelievable Marty saves.

We only had a handful of scoring chances in the extra time, Johnny Mac was about a foot away of banging in a rebound.

The losing goal was bounced in off our player too.

But, we won 3 Cups afterwards.

I'm not getting on Brodeur. He did all he could. That team was worn down from Boston/Buffalo it seemed. Buffalo was a very very brutal series. Coming out to start OT in Game 7 I figured the Devils would have jump and the Rags shellshocked. It was the complete opposite.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Messier gets all the praise but Richter was the difference and the only reason the Rangers survived game 6. I don't even think it's debatable. Seriously, that Rangers team was dead in the water. And this is not even taking anything away from Brodeur as he had a great series as well. Richter was just a wall in that game after NJ went up 2-0. He would not relent. Had the Devils had a little more seasoning and big game experience at that time, I think they finish the job. I just look back at it as a necessary step the team needed to go through before making that final jump to champion.

Whatever the case, 93/94 was my first year following the team and that was a really fun team. I didn't experience the lean years prior but you could just tell how big winning game 7 against Buffalo was to the franchise and the fans. That crowd was going absolutely nuts after NJ clinched the series. Fun times. Everything after that was gravy.

I still think they probably win if they can just get to the 3rd 2-0. The Rags had taken back momentum but if the Devils could regroup up 2 at intermission it would've been different. That Kovalev goal really planted some seeds of doubt

Also on a positive note if you look at the arena that was really one of the last times it was about 50/50 in fans. Rags fans like to crow about taking over the Rock today, more Rangers than Devils fans BRAH. That is all BS and has been for decades. Other than maybe Game 5 2008 the Rags have never for any single game outnumbered Devils fans at a Devils home games. The Messier game may have been the last time it was even 50/50

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
You could argue that Brodeur's work in the 94 conference final is some of his best during his entire career. Like it was mentioned, he was in absolute beast mode in game 7. You could tell back then that he was destined for greatness. What sealed it for me was how devastated he was after the Rangers had won the series. That loss hurt. He then went on to win more than anyone ever did before. Go figure.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I thought we'd beat Wash in 90.

We had a lot of offense that season including the March acquisition of Hall of Famer Stastny .

I was at his first game with us after the trade when we destroyed Quebec 9-2.
Our fans were going crazy that night.

Back to the Wash series.
Our goalies (Burke and Tererri) were average all season and it bit us that series.
They couldn't stop a beachball

Game 1 was a crusher to blow a lead and lose at home in OT.

Every game was close, razor thin margin for error.

If we won Game 1 we win the series and maybe go a few more rounds.

I was in the last row standing up for the home games that series.

Reactions: JK3

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I posted this in one of the other threads but finally seeing us make the playoffs for the first time in 88 in OT in the last game of the season was pretty special. Just a crazy run actually, all the way through into the conference finals. After years of some pretty bad hockey it was a really fun spring to watch the team, no pressure, just making the playoffs was great and everything else was gravy.

Watching Patrik Sundstrom set a playoff record with 8 points (3 goals, 5 assists, 10-4 over the Caps) was ****ing insane, first time I threw my hat on the ice for a hat trick. Good old Brendan Byrne, man I miss tailgating there. Tickets and parking were cheap as hell and you could use your ticket stub to get into the racetrack after the game lol.

The Schoenfeld/Koharski donut fiasco was pretty nuts too, would have made for some great memes today haha. I'll never forget having replacement refs in yellow jerseys for game 4 of the conference finals.

Reactions: Aethon

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I thought we'd beat Wash in 90.

We had a lot of offense that season including the March acquisition of Hall of Famer Stastny .

I was at his first game with us after the trade when we destroyed Quebec 9-2.
Our fans were going crazy that night.

Back to the Wash series.
Our goalies (Burke and Tererri) were average all season and it bit us that series.
They couldn't stop a beachball

Game 1 was a crusher to blow a lead and lose at home in OT.

Every game was close, razor thin margin for error.

If we won Game 1 we win the series and maybe go a few more rounds.

I was in the last row standing up for the home games that series.

I was at those games. I recall a bunch of fights in the first period of Gabe one including Muller and Burke giving up goals on Washington’s first two shots.

Reactions: Aethon

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I posted this in one of the other threads but finally seeing us make the playoffs for the first time in 88 in OT in the last game of the season was pretty special. Just a crazy run actually, all the way through into the conference finals. After years of some pretty bad hockey it was a really fun spring to watch the team, no pressure, just making the playoffs was great and everything else was gravy.

Watching Patrik Sundstrom set a playoff record with 8 points (3 goals, 5 assists, 10-4 over the Caps) was ****ing insane, first time I threw my hat on the ice for a hat trick. Good old Brendan Byrne, man I miss tailgating there. Tickets and parking were cheap as hell and you could use your ticket stub to get into the racetrack after the game lol.

The Schoenfeld/Koharski donut fiasco was pretty nuts too, would have made for some great memes today haha. I'll never forget having replacement refs in yellow jerseys for game 4 of the conference finals.

And for many years later this incident was referenced as the reason why we seemed to never get calls.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You could argue that Brodeur's work in the 94 conference final is some of his best during his entire career. Like it was mentioned, he was in absolute beast mode in game 7. You could tell back then that he was destined for greatness. What sealed it for me was how devastated he was after the Rangers had won the series. That loss hurt. He then went on to win more than anyone ever did before. Go figure.
I remember Bernie Nichols balling his eyes out during the post game interview.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure Brodeur outplayed Richter in the 94 series, yet we lost. Just like Hasek outplayed Brodeur in the Buffalo series and we won.

Also, I agree on Fetisov. He wasn't that good when he came to the NHL. I can't believe he lasted in the NHL until 1998. He looked barely NHL caliber by the time we got rid of him in 1995, yet he went on to play over 3 more years.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I recall an afternoon game against the Bruins. Maybe it was in Boston? It was the first season Randy McKay became a good player. Game was tied or maybe NJ was up by one. Anyway, McKay stick handles through a Bruins defender. Maybe even Bourque? Scores a goal and the Devils win. That’s when I knew the team had changed fundamentally to become a powerful team. For the first time I can recall NJ had depth and was the team likely to score the big goal rather than surrendering it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He almost stole the series.

We were outshot in a lot of those games, if I recall correctly.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
he seemed to do well in detroit in 95/96 (totally statline watching)... granted, they were a big team at the time, but still

He was shot, but Det had an abundance of talent including other Russian vets that helped inflate his stats.

It helped us win in 95 cuz we dealt him away before the playoffs.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ugh... I always hated Fetisov. I know acquiring him was historic, but ugh.

He had the most annoying habit of passing the puck to a teammate through the low slot which probably took a few years off my life. In fact, I remember him passing to Kasatonov BEHIND Billington. I distinctly remember being able to see Billington's eyes pop out of his head all the way up in the upper tier.

I always preferred Kasatonov over Fetisov. Wonder what ever became of him.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

He had the most annoying habit of passing the puck to a teammate through the low slot which probably took a few years off my life. In fact, I remember him passing to Kasatonov BEHIND Billington. I distinctly remember being able to see Billington's eyes pop out of his head all the way up in the upper tier.

Fetisov was a pretty good assistant coach though. Probably the best we ever had, aside from Robinson. Our power play took a nosedive the very next year after he was gone as a coach.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure Brodeur outplayed Richter in the 94 series, yet we lost. Just like Hasek outplayed Brodeur in the Buffalo series and we won.

Also, I agree on Fetisov. He wasn't that good when he came to the NHL. I can't believe he lasted in the NHL until 1998. He looked barely NHL caliber by the time we got rid of him in 1995, yet he went on to play over 3 more years.

That powerhouse Wings team used him pretty much the only way you could at that time. As a 6th defenseman, limited his ice time, and gave him maintenance days off. He wasn't all that good there either it's just that he wasn't that visible and really couldn't hurt them. Plus I'm sure it was a thrill for Fedorov, Kozlov, and Konstantinov to have him there.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

a lot it seems

Alexei Kasatonov - Wikipedia
After retiring from the NHL in 1996, following a shoulder injury in an AHL game for the Providence Bruins, Kasatonov returned to play one last season for his former Soviet club HC CSKA Moscow. Due to the severity of the injury his playing days were now behind him as he chose to return to New Jersey and settle down with his wife and son. In 1998 Kasatonov was the general manager of the Russian Olympic Team that captured the Silver Medal in Nagano. After the Olympics he could not stay away from Hockey as he began to train his son and soon began coaching youth hockey in the Tri-State area, running his own weekly clinics in Staten Island for 7 years. In 2003 Kasatonov founded the Admirals Hockey Club which at its peak had 5 teams ranging from Squirts to Juniors. In 2004 Kasatonov accepted the Head Coaching position at Columbia University.

In 2008 Kasatonov moved back to Russia for a Head Coaching position at PHC Krylya Sovetov.
(2010) Kasatonov is back in Moscow as the Vice President of the HC CSKA Moscow Hockey Club. (2011–2012) Kasatonov became the Vice President and General Manager of CKA St. Petersburg of the KHL, the first club that he played for in the Soviet Union.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That powerhouse Wings team used him pretty much the only way you could at that time. As a 6th defenseman, limited his ice time, and gave him maintenance days off. He wasn't all that good there either it's just that he wasn't that visible and really couldn't hurt them. Plus I'm sure it was a thrill for Fedorov, Kozlov, and Konstantinov to have him there.
I remember him being very slow by 1993 or so, maybe even before that. It's a long time ago and I was still pretty young, but he may have even been pretty slow by 1991 or 92.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
awesome thread. great info for us youngins who either we're too young, or nonexistent at the time
BTW, just had the urge to mention since I saw your location, the 7-eleven in my story was the one on Changebridge. I grew up in that town :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->