Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] F Ondrej Palat signs with the Devils (5 years, $6M AAV)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
His contract is a four year deal if they want it to be. The first year is almost over. Next season his cap hit won’t matter. Years three and four it can be bad. I agree it’s too long and for too much but it isn’t close to those other deals where guys were counted on to be main cogs. If Palat can be a middle six player for three years after this one it’s fine. Presumably the cap will start to go up a bit also. No one contract is crippling its when you start loading up on older less skilled guys like Vancouver or Calgary or SJ.
One bad contract may not be crippling, but it does impede a team's ability to maximize their potential

How much better would Calgary have been last year if they went into the playoffs with someone actually worth the 5.25 million cap hit they were paying Lucic

Instead, that money was wasted on a player who amassed a total of 1 assist while averaging just 9:25 minutes over 12 games

And maybe Palat proves me wrong, and he'll end up being worth every penny, but I'm guessing that won't be the case

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
One bad contract may not be crippling, but it does impede a team's ability to maximize their potential

How much better would Calgary have been in last year if they went into the playoffs with someone actually worth the 5.25 million cap hit they were paying Lucic

Instead, that money was wasted on a player who amassed a total of 1 assist while averaging just 9:25 minutes over 12 games

And maybe Palat proves me wrong, and he'll end up being worth every penny, but I'm guessing that won't be the case
Very few third contract players are ever worth it. He’s hardly unique.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto

How much better would Calgary have been in last year if they went into the playoffs with someone actually worth the 5.25 million cap hit they were paying Lucic

Wait till the playoffs. That's where is value has been in the past
Palat seems to come to play for those over the regular season

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
Yikes, forgot about this brutal contract.
Idt its brutal plus it was never signed with the intention of seeing it through

It was making use of empty cap space during the early part of the contention window. That space disappears whether its used or not

Palat for the first three years at 6 is fair for what he brings to a young team. Hes got 19 in 31 which is plenty good for how hes been deployed and his value will only rise come April.

Odds are hes moved along with a pick and prospect after the third year of his deal.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Every team wi have a bad contract here and there. We overpaid for Hamilton like everyone said but it has been 100% worth it so far. Palat had a bug game tonight and him playing in a line with Haula and Boqvist looks to be a good 3rd line for us heading into the playoffs. That's really where Palat seems to shine and step up his game too. Yeah maybe he gets bought out the last year or two but right now this contract isn't an issue. I'm glad we brought him in. I feel confident if he plays in the top 6 next year that he will be fine.

Reactions: mlzy

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
7 goals, 16 points in 30 games this season

1 goal, 2 assists in his last 10, playing less than 15 minutes per game

He'll be 32 in a few weeks, and is taking up 6 million in cap space through the 2027 season on a team that will soon be looking to re-sign Bratt, Meier, and Mercer to long term deals before the next waive of youngsters like Nemec and Holtz are due for theirs

I was very critical of the deal, and thought it was a shortsighted move for a team built for the long term

So, to those of you who applauded or defended this signing, do you still believe it was a good move by the Devils? Would you sign Palat to the same contract if he were a UFA today?

I don't think posting statistics is a good way of evaluating Palat. The whole story of his career has been that of a guy who is not flashy and not on the scoreboard every night but makes the team better in so many ways. Tampa board had a meme "forgot about Drej" which referred exactly to this: you watch out for the big guns like Stamkos, Kuch, or Point and you forget about that one guy whose importance is overshadowed by them - until he scores on you in the playoff. Which he inevitably does.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I’m fine with it especially with all the young guys on the roster and the ELC’s coming on soon. Palat brings a lot of experience, is physical and can slot in the top-6 easily if there’s an injury.

4 years after this one. Also saw a tweet recently saying that the contract is very “buyout-able” in the last 2 seasons if it has to, so there’s that.

His contract is structured so that he can be moved out after 3 seasons. First 3 years of the contract included a NMC before switching to a 10 team no trade list the final 2 seasons. That season is also when Luke Hughes will be due a raise from his ELC.

If they buy him out after 3 seasons, NJ would be hit with a $3.5M, 2.5M, $1.5M & $1.5M dead cap hits.

If they buy out his final season, it would be be a $2.7M & $1.65M cap hits.

Wasn't a fan of the deal at the time of the signing - as others have mentioned, it was probably $1M too much and a year too long. Still, he's basically on pace to where he was last season when he scored 49 points and 18 goals in 77 games (projecting to 47 points and 20 goals over 77 games this season). We'll see what he does in the playoffs, but more recently he's helped to form a solid 3rd line that this team has been missing all season in Palat - Haula - Boqvist. I wouldn't underestimate the impact he's had on the culture of this team either.

Still, he's the only contract on the Devils that you can actually consider "bad" - maybe Hamilton's will be included in a few seasons, but he's been worth every penny this year. Devils are still in solid shape.

Reactions: Guttersniped

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
people want to crap all over JT Miller and his contract, he’s atleast a ppg center who wins face offs. Palat hasn’t scored 20 goals and 50 plus points in years….and makes only 2 million less then JT Miller….

let’s hope those Tampa playoff numbers weren’t propped up by the stars…

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Very few third contract players are ever worth it. He’s hardly unique.

im of the mindset you rarely give 4+ yr contracts to players 28+ free agent or your own.

thus will be an issue in 26/27 season fir the devils ehrn their two kid D finish their ELCs and Hisch contract end.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
If Palat had been brought in as an offence-only player, the contract salary and term would be more concerning as offensive production tapers off far more sharply than defensive impact.

Even if he ends up as an overpaid third liner for the Devils, he'll be able to provide value as someone who can carry and define a third line unlike a Lucic, Ladd or Eriksson.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
people want to crap all over JT Miller and his contract, he’s atleast a ppg center who wins face offs. Palat hasn’t scored 20 goals and 50 plus points in years….and makes only 2 million less then JT Miller….

let’s hope those Tampa playoff numbers weren’t propped up by the stars…

Palat's contract looking bad does not make Miller's contract look any better.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

It's almost like the last few years have featured shortened seasons for some unknown reason?

Scoring pace for each of his last 4 seasons:

20g 49p (69gp)
22g 69p (55gp)
19g 52p (77gp)
21g 50p (31gp)

Average 82 game pace over that period = 21g 55p. While playing excellent winning hockey.

He's pretty consistent, pacing for either 20+ goals or 50+ points every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad