Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] F Ondrej Palat signs with the Devils (5 years, $6M AAV)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I would've thought it looked worse in hindsight specifically because the Devils are now facing a 9 million or so extension for Meier

No I meant that criticizing the deal is easier in hindsight. With the team playing well, Palat's not really been a particular concern. I went to the game against Arizona a couple nights ago and the Palat-Haula-Boqvist line accounted for a couple goals. Having the depth is nice.

We'll deal with the cap crunch when it happens, but that's a couple years down the line.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
7 goals, 16 points in 30 games this season

1 goal, 2 assists in his last 10, playing less than 15 minutes per game

He'll be 32 in a few weeks, and is taking up 6 million in cap space through the 2027 season on a team that will soon be looking to re-sign Bratt, Meier, and Mercer to long term deals before the next waive of youngsters like Nemec and Holtz are due for theirs

I was very critical of the deal, and thought it was a shortsighted move for a team built for the long term

So, to those of you who applauded or defended this signing, do you still believe it was a good move by the Devils? Would you sign Palat to the same contract if he were a UFA today?
He's been very good for us. We were in a tailspin in December and then he returned. We went 3-7-2 in the games leading up to his return, then went 7-0-1 in the his first 8 games back in the lineup (and have gone 17-4-3 in total since his return).

He provides a key veteran depth and has allowed us to have 4 really strong, well balanced lines.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
7 goals, 16 points in 30 games this season

1 goal, 2 assists in his last 10, playing less than 15 minutes per game

He'll be 32 in a few weeks, and is taking up 6 million in cap space through the 2027 season on a team that will soon be looking to re-sign Bratt, Meier, and Mercer to long term deals before the next waive of youngsters like Nemec and Holtz are due for theirs

I was very critical of the deal, and thought it was a shortsighted move for a team built for the long term

So, to those of you who applauded or defended this signing, do you still believe it was a good move by the Devils? Would you sign Palat to the same contract if he were a UFA today?
Lol, great bump. Anyway, this guy is awesome and makes winning plays all over the ice. Very happy to have him in a leadership role as we head into the playoffs.

Funny you pick his last 10 as a period of poor play or something, when his line has been straight up dominating since it’s been put together.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If the cap increases modestly, it’s a problem. I don’t think there’s any NJ fan who would deny it is rich and a bit too long.

But it’s countered by 2-4 ELCs on the roster over the next two seasons. You’ll be replacing more expensive veterans with Nemec, Luke Hughes, Holtz and likely one more depth guy. The cap will jump eventually and likely before his deal is over.

And that’s not even mentioning the kind of player he is and his impact on the team.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I’m fine with it especially with all the young guys on the roster and the ELC’s coming on soon. Palat brings a lot of experience, is physical and can slot in the top-6 easily if there’s an injury.

4 years after this one. Also saw a tweet recently saying that the contract is very “buyout-able” in the last 2 seasons if it has to, so there’s that.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
His value goes far beyond the stat line.
In seasons past, if the Devils fell behind early, they folded up and inevitably lost the game, that isn't the case anymore. Palat is a big part of this change in mind set, he's a natural leader and would probably be a successful coach if he chooses to coach.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ will cheap out on a few bottom six players like McLeod and Bastian and Boquist to make up the overpayment on Palat. The team probably also skimps on a third pair right defender for a season or two until Nemec is ready. The nuclear option is to trade Sharangovich. Hard to see them totally botching this even if they sign Bratt and Meier to long term deals at close to $18 mil combined. Even if you want to say Palat should be paid about $4.5 mil or something along those lines, that's roughly $1.5 mil they are trying to make up. The contract was never ideal, but he's not a $2 mil per player, he's better than that.

PK

Jul 11, 2022
It’s way to early to make any judgment here. That said, I’m in a minority of those who wish we keep both Graves and Severson and without Palát it would possible. I’m not sure he’ll be more valuable than those two in the years to come.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It’s way to early to make any judgment here. That said, I’m in a minority of those who wish we keep both Graves and Severson and without Palát it would possible. I’m not sure he’ll be more valuable than those two in the years to come.
If you think the 6 million they're paying Palat is enough for Severson and Graves, you're sorely mistaken. Severson is going to look for 6 a season and Graves likely comes in around 5.
If Graves is willing to sign a short term deal 2-3 years max at a reasonable rate he could stay. Severson wants that payday and NJ can't and shouldn't give it to him.

PK

Jul 11, 2022
If you think the 6 million they're paying Palat is enough for Severson and Graves, you're sorely mistaken. Severson is going to look for 6 a season and Graves likely comes in around 5.
If Graves is willing to sign a short term deal 2-3 years max at a reasonable rate he could stay. Severson wants that payday and NJ can't and shouldn't give it to him.
That’s not what I said.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That’s not what I said.
I see, ya I understand what you're saying now. I still think they could keep one, preferably Graves but Severson has got to go. His comments earlier in the season about playing time makes it pretty obvious he's looking to move on.

Reactions: PK

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Like the player, not the contract. Expect it to age poorly and has a risk of becoming an albatross.
I stand by this, although now that it's clear the Devils are cup contenders this year I'm fine with it. The problem will be the tail end, and will have ramifications as NJ tries to figure out what 2nd contracts look like for Mercer, L.Hughes, Nemec, and maybe Holtz though he's looking like an obvious short term extension.

This year he's been a nice addition for sure, and he's played Sharangovich out of the lineup at the moment which I wouldn't have expected, he's got skills the team needed and that's why they paid up for him.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I stand by this, although now that it's clear the Devils are cup contenders this year I'm fine with it. The problem will be the tail end, and will have ramifications as NJ tries to figure out what 2nd contracts look like for Mercer, L.Hughes, Nemec, and maybe Holtz though he's looking like an obvious short term extension.

This year he's been a nice addition for sure, and he's played Sharangovich out of the lineup at the moment which I wouldn't have expected, he's got skills the team needed and that's why they paid up for him.
The Palat contract can be bought out in three more years with minimal impact. Signing Mercer maybe comes down to moving Sharangovich. If Bratt continues to be stubborn the cap won’t be an issue.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He's been very good for us. We were in a tailspin in December and then he returned. We went 3-7-2 in the games leading up to his return, then went 7-0-1 in the his first 8 games back in the lineup (and have gone 17-4-3 in total since his return).

He provides a key veteran depth and has allowed us to have 4 really strong, well balanced lines.

But the Devils also went on their unbeaten streak without him in the lineup, so...

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
NJ will cheap out on a few bottom six players like McLeod and Bastian and Boquist to make up the overpayment on Palat. The team probably also skimps on a third pair right defender for a season or two until Nemec is ready. The nuclear option is to trade Sharangovich. Hard to see them totally botching this even if they sign Bratt and Meier to long term deals at close to $18 mil combined. Even if you want to say Palat should be paid about $4.5 mil or something along those lines, that's roughly $1.5 mil they are trying to make up. The contract was never ideal, but he's not a $2 mil per player, he's better than that.

Even at 4.5 million per, I'd have had no interest in signing Palat to a long term deal

Signing a middle 6 winger to a long term deal as they exit their prime almost never benefits anyone but the player

There are exceptions to the rule, of course, but I don't believe Palat is the type of player worth gambling on

IMO, his contract will soon be looked at much like the ones that were given to players like Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd, Neal, Gallagher, Palmieri, Bailey, Hornqvist, JVR, Little, Atkinson, Marleau, etc. etc. etc.

He's essentially a 3rd liner with a 6 million cap hit through the '27 season

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
But the Devils also went on their unbeaten streak without him in the lineup, so...
Yeah it's nice that we've got a great team. Palat makes us that much better. He's a very important part of this team and would sign him to that contract all day long.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Even at 4.5 million per, I'd have had no interest in signing Palat to a long term deal

Signing a middle 6 winger to a long term deal as they exit their prime almost never benefits anyone but the player

There are exceptions to the rule, of course, but I don't believe Palat is the type of player worth gambling on

IMO, his contract will soon be looked at much like the ones that were given to players like Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd, Neal, Gallagher, Palmieri, Bailey, Hornqvist, JVR, Little, Atkinson, Marleau, etc. etc. etc.

He's essentially a 3rd liner with a 6 million cap hit through the '27 season
His contract is a four year deal if they want it to be. The first year is almost over. Next season his cap hit won’t matter. Years three and four it can be bad. I agree it’s too long and for too much but it isn’t close to those other deals where guys were counted on to be main cogs. If Palat can be a middle six player for three years after this one it’s fine. Presumably the cap will start to go up a bit also. No one contract is crippling its when you start loading up on older less skilled guys like Vancouver or Calgary or SJ.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Like Brodeur said - it's easy in hindsight of the Meier trade. I guess you could argue this would have come up with other future trade / FA signing.

He's overpaid and signed for too long. But we're a better team with him. I won't have a problem with him until he starts bringing the team down.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
They'll need to get rid of him when LHughes and Nemec are due for raises, but until then he's a very useful piece. Just will likely need to attach a 2nd to send him somewhere - especially since his M-NTC will limit it to 10 teams/year that he can be traded to.

Reactions: HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad