Proposal: NJD/EDM

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Pavel Zacha and a 2nd round pick for Jesse Puljujarrvi and a 3rd

Full disclosure I am not a fan of either way but went for the classic change of scenery trade.

Pulj has more offensive upside which warranted the higher pick going to the Oilers in my view but feel free to rip apart the trade as per usual :)

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Pavel Zacha and a 2nd round pick for Jesse Puljujarrvi and a 3rd

Full disclosure I am not a fan of either way but went for the classic change of scenery trade.

Pulj has more offensive upside which warranted the higher pick going to the Oilers in my view but feel free to rip apart the trade as per usual :)

Zacha has shown a lot more to date. More like McLeod.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Devils decline.

Zacha had 20 points in his last 30 games to finish off the year. The offensive production is starting to come, and he has always been elite defensively. After sinking years into his development, there's no reason for the Devils to pull the plug on Zacha now... especially considering Puljujarvi hasn't shown nearly as much at the NHL level.

McLeod for Puljujarvi? I'd consider.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Zacha has shown a lot more to date. More like McLeod.

Devils decline.

Zacha had 20 points in his last 30 games to finish off the year. The offensive production is starting to come, and he has always been elite defensively. After sinking years into his development, there's no reason for the Devils to pull the plug on Zacha now... especially considering Puljujarvi hasn't shown nearly as much at the NHL level.

I obviously can't speak for Edmonton but it seems like a reasonable counter IMO, the Oilers at first glance don't seem to have a lot coming at centre.

Great feedback.

Reactions: Dialamo

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Zacha was quite good the 2nd half of the season once he came back from his demotion/injury so this isn't really something that interests me.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Zacha is great defensively and at worst a solid bottom 6 player, plus he was finally showing the assertiveness needed to translate his tools into offensive success in the last 30 games of the season. Why are the Devils paying to downgrade to Puljujarrvi who may not even be an NHLer in a while?

Reactions: MakoSlade

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Jesse is dumber than a sack of hammers. He's got Yakupov level of hockey sense... seriously they're spitting images of each other in their ability to be in the worst place possible on the ice all the time.
Team structure etc are not concepts understood.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
If his were the beginning of last year I would’ve considered it but Zacha is actually showing promise of bein a decent two way second liner.
McLeod I love and he is still young and people hate on him but I watched him play and still think he can still be a very effective player in this league.
That being said we now have depth at centre and I think it is a pretty even trade.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Devils decline.

Puljujarvi isn't going anywhere. Not because he's all world, but because the risk of a trade blowing up in the Oilers face is too great. They are wise to sink or swim with him as an Oiler .
If he's a NHL player he's an Oiler. If he isn't he's playing in Russia or Europe.

Reactions: MakoSlade and BHD

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Puljujarvi isn't going anywhere. Not because he's all world, but because the risk of a trade blowing up in the Oilers face is too great. They are wise to sink or swim with him as an Oiler .
If he's a NHL player he's an Oiler. If he isn't he's playing in Russia or Europe.

And I understand that.

It's the same reason why I'm hesitant to deal Zacha.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Not even close. Zacha is currently a serviceable bottom 6 guys at worst. Poolparty is top 6 or bust...and right now he’s not top 6

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No way from NJD. Pool Party for Zacha straight up would not even be close, let alone our 2nd for a 3rd.
As mentioned in the previous thread, JP is a decent twenty game stretch from having exponentially more value than Zacha currently does on the open market.

I can see why NJ would balk at the offer straight up, but the upside of Puljujarvi is still higher than that of Zacha, which is why I don't see the 'not even close' side of it.

Honestly, looking at NJ's needs and their depth beyond the draft, I personally think this deal (straight up) would be a decent gamble for them. The Oilers would be settling on a third line center.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Devils decline.

McLeod + 2nd for Puljujarvi + NYI 3rd I would think about. Having both brothers in the same org could benefit both and Oilers need more future help at center than wing when it comes to what is in the pipeline.

Reactions: BringJordanHome

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Scrap the picks. I’d only do a 1-for-1.

Oilers don't. McLeod doesn't appeal to me. I like his brother who could be a good 2C/3C, but wingers with offensive upside are more important to the Oil than offensively inept centers (our 2nd rounder in 2016 Benson outscored McLeod in the AHL this year).

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
NJ says no quite easily. We are very high on Zacha right now after his tremendous last 30 games of the season. (20 points)

NJ would be down for a McLeod-Puljujarvi swap though. Straight up, no picks.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
McLeod + 2nd for Puljujarvi + NYI 3rd I would think about. Having both brothers in the same org could benefit both and Oilers need more future help at center than wing when it comes to what is in the pipeline.
Why exactly do the Oilers need centres in their pipeline? They already have McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge who are capable of playing centre. They have Marody and Michael's brother in the pipeline to fill out the 3C position in the future if they choose to keep Draisaitl on wing.

The Oilers need winger prospects far more than they need centre or defence prospects. If they had proper top 6 wingers they might actually be able to run their 3 centres down the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad