Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Devils sign Dawson Mercer to ELC (3 years, $925k AAV)

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Mercer wasn’t drafted 1st overall, and therefore won’t be inserted into the lineup by a management (or GM) looking to compete. Fitzgerald appears to be taking a more sensible approach to his team.

Mercer could be a respectable player if developed properly.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Awesome. I hope New Jersey does the right thing and keeps him where he needs to be to develop correctly. No more Hughes situations.
I agree but in Hughes' situation , where would you have played him last year besides the NHL? I don't think he was able to play in the AHL.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Awesome. I hope New Jersey does the right thing and keeps him where he needs to be to develop correctly. No more Hughes situations.
Who was the last 1st overall player to not make the NHL out of camp ? Hughes had the skillset to play in the NHL last year. John Hynes had him playing with guys like Wayne Simmonds and Miles Wood as his linemates on the 3rd line at times last year. Hughes had the skillset and advanced stats to back up how effective he was. It was his and his teammates terrible finishing ability that costed him points on the scoresheet. Anyways Mercer is a compeltley different player and I doubt he will be rushed. Not sure if he will be a center or right wing in the NHL but he should be a good player regardless. I will be happy if he turns out to be a 50-60 point player. Someone who can play all situations but is known for being able to be a key contributor to our offense.

Reactions: Morrison

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I agree but in Hughes' situation , where would you have played him last year besides the NHL? I don't think he was able to play in the AHL.

He could have played in the AHL. Its CHL players have to be returned as part of the agreement unless they are on an NHL roster.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
1OA are a unique situation and it’s not like the Devils have rushed guys lately, Ty Smith got to marinate an extra year in juniors without any tryout NHL games because they felt he wasn’t ready.

It’s going pretty interesting to see how the 2021 1OA is handled. (Presumably (hopefully?) by a team other than the Devils, so I’m slightly veering off topic.)

Reactions: HBK27

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Hughes probably should've went to college or Juniors but no 1st overall really does that anymore. He showed flashes of why he was taken first overall but he still has a ton of development to go. College would've been where I would have had him go which is with the benefit of hindsight.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
1OA are a unique situation and it’s not like the Devils have rushed guys lately, Ty Smith got to marinate an extra year in juniors without any tryout NHL games because they felt he wasn’t ready.

It’s going pretty interesting to see how the 2021 1OA is handled. (Presumably (hopefully?) by a team other than the Devils, so I’m slightly veering off topic.)

Regardless of whether or not he was 10A, one look at the kid and anybody with half a brain could see he wasn't physically ready for the NHL.

Reactions: Billdo

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Who was the last 1st overall player to not make the NHL out of camp ? Hughes had the skillset to play in the NHL last year. John Hynes had him playing with guys like Wayne Simmonds and Miles Wood as his linemates on the 3rd line at times last year. Hughes had the skillset and advanced stats to back up how effective he was. It was his and his teammates terrible finishing ability that costed him points on the scoresheet. Anyways Mercer is a compeltley different player and I doubt he will be rushed. Not sure if he will be a center or right wing in the NHL but he should be a good player regardless. I will be happy if he turns out to be a 50-60 point player. Someone who can play all situations but is known for being able to be a key contributor to our offense.
Chris Phillips I think

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Chris Phillips I think
No, it was Erik Johnson in 2006. My heart went out to St Louis who drafted a 1OA in the year in between the Crosby and Kane draft classes who ended up playing in college in his D+1 year.

Phillips was drafted in 1996 so he was followed by Thornton and Lacavalier but the two previous 1OA, Berard and Jovanovski, both went right back to juniors. There were some weak ass drafts around that time though.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I know it is only preliminary games so far , but is it just me or is Mercer not playing many minutes for team Canada so far?
I was hoping he was going to be one of the main pieces for team Canada moving forward.
Who did the flames draft in the first round just after Mercer? Zary ? How is he looking vs Mercer? I know its not fair to compare the two this early but its hard not to when they were drafted so close together. Bothers me wondering if the Devils took the right kid or not lol .

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
No, it was Erik Johnson in 2006. My heart went out to St Louis who drafted a 1OA in the year in between the Crosby and Kane draft classes who ended up playing in college in his D+1 year.

Phillips was drafted in 1996 so he was followed by Thornton and Lacavalier but the two previous 1OA, Berard and Jovanovski, both went right back to juniors. There were some weak ass drafts around that time though.
who was the last 1OA forward to not play his D+1 year?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Technically Ovechkin, but of course that was because of the lockout. Looks like you'd have to go all the way back to 1989 1st overall pick Mats Sundin who didn't make his NHL debut until 1990-91. The previous year, Mike Modano went back to the WHL after going #1 overall and it looks like he made his NHL debut in the playoffs.

Edit: Guttersniped got it with Lindros. I totally blanked that he opted to sit out.

Last edited:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Pretty sure it’s Eric Lindros (1991) but that’s because he was being a dick and refused to play for the Nordiques after they drafted him. He played in the juniors and got to play in the Olympics as well as get the trade he wanted as being a dick often pays off.

Off the top of my head I didn’t know who was the forward before that was but my curiosity was piqued. I didn’t have to look far because Mats Sundin (1989) was in SHL his D+1 year.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Mercer is a late birthday, so not surprising the team signed him now so his contract will be eligible to slide in 2021-22.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
With regards to Hughes, in retrospect he should have been in the OHL or on a college campus. That being said, the extended off-season hopefully provided the time and training to be more physically and tactically prepared to compete at the NHL level.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Mercer will finish the year in the QMJHL then play in the AHL for a year. I have been a little disappointed with his role so far at the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad