Confirmed Trade: [NJD/COL] Ryan Graves for Mikhail Maltsev and 2021 2nd round pick

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Nearly a 3rd round pick. Seems fair. Guess Graves would replace Murray ? With Sieggenthaler, Smith and Severson, Devil's Defense is getting interesting. Just miss another high-end piece that you may get along this year with either Clarke or Hughes on Draft day.

Reactions: Smitty426

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Seth Jones. They already have cap space but Hamilton is offensively oriented like Makar, so free agency isn't an option. It'll take more than a 2nd + Maltsev, but it's worth it since MacKinnon might waste his prime on a team scared to take chances.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Joe Sakic is back to being dumb after everyone praised him. kinda funny. Ryan Graves is either gonna still be consistent and help the devils return to the playoffs, or be a liability. Can't believe everyone's still kissing their buttcheeks for a cup when they can't make it to round 3 at all
ayame laugh.gif

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Really like this for the Devils.

Honestly not bad for the Avs either with expansion draft coming up. Surprised no one offered more though.

Solid deal

Weast

May 16, 2011
Don’t you still need to sign Landeskog? That was my understanding as to why this deal was made.
The Avs could have made Landeskog happen without this trade, but I think Sakic is more worried about the long-term ramifications of Landeskog's ask.

This is a bit of a steep price from the Devils, but Graves honestly is a good 4/5 defenceman. Next to Makar, he was incredible. Guy knew his role and played it well.

Reactions: inactive user

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Good trade for the Avs. I’m surprised they got that much honestly considering they would have lost him for nothing.

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Joe Sakic is back to being dumb after everyone praised him. kinda funny. Ryan Graves is either gonna still be consistent and help the devils return to the playoffs, or be a liability. Can't believe everyone's still kissing their buttcheeks for a cup when they can't make it to round 3 at allView attachment 453256

A 2nd rd pick was the concensus of graves value, and that was when people didn't know he deceptively terrible firing every puck that comes near him, usually into the defenders shin pads

Reactions: MrWhiffles

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
A 2nd rd pick was the concensus of graves value, and that was when people didn't know he deceptively terrible firing every puck that comes near him, usually into the defenders shin pads
cool and he could also help the devils fix their situation. colorado is gonna hunt for jones, get him, and then regret him

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Better than I thought the avs would get, he was certainly gone to Seattle and I was fine with that for free. Wont have to see Bednar put him with Makar any more

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Graves is underrated, I think he's a popular scapegoat, but not particularly good, though maybe with good coaching he could still improve even more. Particularly if he was in a different system and saw a shift in mentality, albeit I doubt NJ is that system.

Maltsev is a prize to lose though...
Define prize, I like Maltsev a lot, but calling him a prize, I don't think so. He's a nice bottom 6 project.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
For context, it doesn't really matter what the Avs thought Graves was worth. They could have gotten a chicken bone for him. Once they determined Graves was going to be selected and he was their most valuable expansion player they couldn't protect, all that really mattered was:

1. Was it the best offer.

2. Was the value of the offer more valuable than whoever the Avs think is the most valuable player they might now lose to Seattle.

Ex: Imagine it is Jost they're going to lose now that they traded Graves (I have no idea, but just imagine for a second). As long as the Avs management think a 2nd is more valuable than Jost to them, you should do the deal. Graves is gone in either scenario. All the Avs have to do is decide if they want Jost (or whoever) or a 2nd

Reactions: QuizGuy66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad