Confirmed Trade: [NJD/COL] Ryan Graves for Mikhail Maltsev and 2021 2nd round pick

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
isn't the 2nd rounder 34OA? That's basically a late first which is really good value.

Devils don't own their own 2nd rounder.

Therefore it has to be the Islanders 2nd which is at the end of the 2nd round. So certainly not as good as 34OA but overall probably pretty fair considering that Graves is not a superstud eithere (but could be solid for the Devils in the right role).

Reactions: canuckking1

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
What is NJD going to do with Graves? They already have good young defencemen especially on the left side. Colorado should convert the 2nd + Maltsev for an elite 2nd line centre or another elite defencemen.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Decent trade for everyone I guess. Had to happen from an Avs POV.

Can Devils fans give me a rundown on Maltsev? Is he any good as a depth forward?

For a bottom six guy, I thought he was fine. Thought he was a decent puck possession guy but not the type to crush somebody in the corner with his size. It wouldn't shock me if he puts up 15 goals in a full time gig. Off the top of my head, he doesn't require a protection spot either.

Reactions: JoemAvs

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Love the trade for both sides. The devils desperately just need some talent on the backend that can play now which they get, and Sakic found a way to get some nice pieces for a dude he was most likely going to lose for free in less than a week.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Good trade. Thanks for a couple of great years Gravy!

Now bring Suter in on a sweetheart AAV to replace him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What is NJD going to do with Graves? They already have good young defencemen especially on the left side. Colorado should convert the 2nd + Maltsev for an elite 2nd line centre or another elite defencemen.

Ty Smith is really the only actual capable lefty on the NHL roster

Murray is a free agent and Bahl is still unknown

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Graves is underrated, I think he's a popular scapegoat, but not particularly good, though maybe with good coaching he could still improve even more. Particularly if he was in a different system and saw a shift in mentality, albeit I doubt NJ is that system.

Maltsev is a prize to lose though...

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What is NJD going to do with Graves? They already have good young defencemen especially on the left side.

Our penalty kill was pretty awful last year, so there's definitely room for Graves there. Kevin Bahl looked okay during his cup of coffee last year (although I think the analytics didn't mesh with the eye test), but could benefit from a full AHL season (ditto Okhotyuk/Vukojevic).

LD: Smith-Graves-Siegenthaler-Butcher
RD: Severson-Subban-tbd?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
#edit: Just realized this isn't for sure the devils pick. Still happy with the trade though

Really going to root for Graves doing well with the Devils though. Definitely not one of the Avs mind that hate the kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad