Value of: NJD 2024 1st + Bahl/Siegenthaler for Top 4 LHD

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Thread title says it all. Who is the best top 4 LHD (that can actually maybe play some defense) that the Devils can get for this package?

Please keep in mind that don't want or need 30+ year olds and we don't want or need purely offensive guys.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Thread title says it all. Who is the best top 4 LHD (that can actually maybe play some defense) that the Devils can get for this package?

Please keep in mind that don't want or need 30+ year olds and we don't want or need purely offensive guys.
Unfortunately, there aren't many good options. Weegar would be great but he is over 30 and he has a NTC. Pettersson is a good option, but I wouldn't trade a top10 pick for him. The Golden Knights probably wouldn't trade Hague, but he is another interesting name, although if I have understood correctly he hasn't been as good as last season. Chychrun isn't what the Devils need so I'd pass that one.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Unfortunately, there aren't many good options. Weegar would be great but he is over 30 and he has a NTC. Pettersson is a good option, but I wouldn't trade a top10 pick for him. The Golden Knights probably wouldn't trade Hague, but he is another interesting name, although if I have understood correctly he hasn't been as good as last season. Chychrun isn't what the Devils need so I'd pass that one.
I think we should be able to fit the 1 year cap for it but if he's willing to waive I'd target Gavrikov as a potential cap casualty in LA

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Chychrun?
There needs to be a guy with term for a top 10 pick.

Maybe if Chychrun still had 3 years left, but not as a rental. As we saw with Debrincat, you don't get all your money back when you try and return the toy to the store after you're done using it

Reactions: Aoko

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
LA will not be moving him. The left side is already weak and there are extra pieces on the right side.
at the same AAV who would you choose him or Roy? I would have thought Roy would be preferred but am I mistaken?

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
at the same AAV who would you choose him or Roy? I would have thought Roy would be preferred but am I mistaken?
Roy is the better of the two. If I was running the show Roy would already be signed. But the clown show in charge will let Roy walk and go with Drew, Spence and Clarke on the right side.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Maybe if Chychrun still had 3 years left, but not as a rental. As we saw with Debrincat, you don't get all your money back when you try and return the toy to the store after you're done using it

Fair, I don’t know the rules on extensions.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Roy is the better of the two. If I was running the show Roy would already be signed. But the clown show in charge will let Roy walk and go with Drew, Spence and Clarke on the right side.
That was my thought process with Gavrikov as a target, if he'd waive. LAK frees up that money in a cap crunch and spends it on roy who's the better player right now.
NJD gets a good dmen without giving up much and doesn't get locked into a long term commitment at a high dollar figure

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

I think the notion would be to sign him to the extension and trade.
He has a year left and would maybe sign long term with NJ.

I mean he sort of perfectly fits what you were looking for…likely get him for $6 year

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think the notion would be to sign him to the extension and trade.
He has a year left and would maybe sign long term with NJ.

I mean he sort of perfectly fits what you were looking for…likely get him for $6 year
An extension cannot be agreed upon until after the draft, so could not be for the 2024 pick.

Also this "traded with extension thing" is frankly bullshit. It almost never happens in real life. You hear it a lot from fanbases trying to pump up the value of their rental UFA by pretending they aren't rentals, but very few guys actually do get traded with an extension. hampus lindholm, seth jones, that's about it.

I heard this for MONTHS and MONTHS about how Noah Hanifin was going to return a massive package "with extension".
I heard about Guentzel, Lindholm.

Every year you hear it, and it almost never occurs. A rental is a rental.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
What is this obsession of not wanting “30 year olds”? Part of your guys issues are because you are a team that is very much inexperienced and immature.

It just limits your choices. I mean if Ekholm or McDonough were to suddenly become available, you wouldn’t want his services just because he’s 30+?

Anyways as for LD, you already mentioned Pettersson. Ryan Lindgren is probably going to be expendable due to Rangers need for cap space. Hague/McNabb could be available considering Vegas has a ton of defenseman that are going to be expendable as cap casualties. There’s Skjei if you can outbid Carolina when he hits UFA. Other LD UFA’s are Dillon, Grzelyck, Kylington, Zadorov and Cole (Canucks likely try to resign one of the latter). Middleton from Minnesota is another. Other more expensive options are Fehervary and JJ Moser, but good luck getting them with that package.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
What is this obsession of not wanting “30 year olds”? Part of your guys issues are because you are a team that is very much inexperienced and immature.

It just limits your choices. I mean if Ekholm or McDonough were to suddenly become available, you wouldn’t want his services just because he’s 30+?

Anyways as for LD, you already mentioned Pettersson. Ryan Lindgren is probably going to be expendable due to Rangers need for cap space. Hague/McNabb could be available considering Vegas has a ton of defenseman that are going to be expendable as cap casualties. There’s Skjei if you can outbid Carolina when he hits UFA. Other LD UFA’s are Dillon, Grzelyck, Kylington, Zadorov and Cole (Canucks likely try to resign one of the latter). Middleton from Minnesota is another. Other more expensive options are Fehervary and JJ Moser, but good luck getting them with that package.
I don't get that restriction either, early 30's shouldn't be a make or break here. If we're talking 35+ that's a little too long in the tooth.

Edit: I also wouldn't trade Siegenthaler either seeing as he played the best hockey of his career with Hamilton and he'll get him back next season.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Feels like you're underrating the value of a top 10 pick if you think it wouldn't fetch Fehervary or Moser. For example the capitals brought in Sandin, who is younger and plays over Fehervary, for a late 1st and Gustafsson.

You can have experienced guys who are still in their primes. The statement should be however "we should avoid any longer term contracts that take guys into their mid 30s"

Reactions: Guttersniped

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I don't get that restriction either, early 30's shouldn't be a make or break here. If we're talking 35+ that's a little too long in the tooth.

Edit: I also wouldn't trade Siegenthaler either seeing as he played the best hockey of his career with Hamilton and he'll get him back next season.
Yeah I wouldn’t trade Sieganthaler either.

Feels like you're underrating the value of a top 10 pick if you think it wouldn't fetch Fehervary or Moser. For example the capitals brought in Sandin, who is younger and plays over Fehervary, for a late 1st and Gustafsson.

You can have experienced guys who are still in their primes. The statement should be however "we should avoid any longer term contracts that take guys into their mid 30s"
Value wise, yeah it’s pretty fair. I just don’t think a team like Arizona for instance who is sitting with 20+ picks in the first couple of rounds for a couple of years are necessarily going to want to give up their U25 near elite two way defenseman for a 10th overall pick, even if transactionally it’s fair value. Same with Fehervary, someone who is also U25 and is in the same bracket.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yeah I wouldn’t trade Sieganthaler either.

Value wise, yeah it’s pretty fair. I just don’t think a team like Arizona for instance who is sitting with 20+ picks in the first couple of rounds for a couple of years are necessarily going to want to give up their U25 near elite two way defenseman for a 10th overall pick, even if transactionally it’s fair value. Same with Fehervary, someone who is also U25 and is in the same bracket.
Oh yeah Arizona should want nothing to do with more picks given their current dcore and state.

Washington tho, given their age and prospect pool I think would certainly do it offered. I hadn't thought of Fehervary until now, but thinking about it I think he'd be a good target

Reactions: LemonSauceD

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Oh yeah Arizona should want nothing to do with more picks given their current dcore and state.

Washington tho, given their age and prospect pool I think would certainly do it offered. I hadn't thought of Fehervary until now, but thinking about it I think he'd be a good target
I guess it depends on the direction Washington wants to take. A team like Washington needs picks and prospects but they also happen to have a pretty good U25 defenseman they may be reluctant to move.

Reactions: dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I guess it depends on the direction Washington wants to take. A team like Washington needs picks and prospects but they also happen to have a pretty good U25 defenseman they may be reluctant to move.
I think a top 10 pick tho would be a price that is simply too good to pass up. Very rarely are these picks traded (unless for other similar picks), or you luck into one via making a trade for a future 1st and the team you traded with falling way short of expectations

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

no, not for a top 10 pick I would not. Thats for sure.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Ekholm was literally acquired for a late 1st.
McDonagh was basically given away.

50% retention and McDonagh becomes a lot more interesting tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad