Post-Game Talk: NJ wastes an opportunity to gain ground

HunteDxEntitY

Jan 5, 2014
Section 118
I dislike Salvador as much as the next guy, but Gelinas simply cannot play defense.. He thinks wayyyyy too much about offense, he needs to focus on his priority, DEFENSE.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
because hes not a #1 center. you CANNOT expect Zajac to magically produce first line points just cause we have noone better

Well then he has completely fallen off a cliff because it wasn't that long ago that he was a close to 60 point player, which would good enough in my eyes considering what he brings on D.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well then he has completely fallen off a cliff because it wasn't that long ago that he was a close to 60 point player, which would good enough in my eyes considering what he brings on D.

It wasn't that long ago that he had Parise and/or Kovy on his wings.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I dislike Salvador as much as the next guy, but Gelinas simply cannot play defense.. He thinks wayyyyy too much about offense, he needs to focus on his priority, DEFENSE.

he moves up with the play before the wingers do,
with his shot he can just go in past the blue line and wait for our "system" to bank the puck up the boards..and then let it rip

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

He played with Parise back then, they had great chemistry.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart

Gelinas is nowhere as bad as you make him. His offense easily makes up more a defensive brainfart here and there. He is actually our only defenseman who does not have a negative GF-GA ratio at 5 on 5. Gelly has been on ice for 25 goals for and 25 against. Every other dmen was on ice for more goals against than goals for at 5 on 5. Salvador on the other hand, has been average at best on defense with probably as many brainfarts as Gelly and adds nothing on offense to the team.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=25&s=25&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f4=D&f5=N.J&c=0+1+3+5+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28#snip=f

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Why hasn't pete scratched Ryder like he's done with Brunner and others? Sometimes its good just to "take a couple steps backward, before you can move forward." Isn't that the line he used with Gelinas and Brunner etc?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
He played with Parise back then, they had great chemistry.

I'm sorry but that is a terrible excuse. Is chemistry the reason Travis constantly fumbles the glorious scoring opportunities that Jagr is constantly giving him?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Reid Boucher probably could have done better than Ryder over these last 20 games. Ryder is just straight up swamp ass right now. Last year Lou said ''We feel a lot of our players had a below average year for their careers'' what's he gonna say this year? The only one really doing any better is Henrique. Ryder is producing under his career norm as well. Will it finally be time to sack the coach?

And it took Henrique really until after the Olympic break to pick it up. He had that one five-game stretch post-Christmas where he was a beast but for the rest of the season he'd been just as big a ghost as anyone else.

The fact so many players do perform under their career norms here is why I find it hard to kill Ryder although yeah he is kind of useless when he isn't scoring.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why are we calling out guys like Bernier and Carter when our "#1 Center" has 10 goals and is on pace for 40 points (while playing besides a HOFer on pace for 70)? Zubrus and Zidlicky have the same number of goals. Henrique has double that goal total. If Eric Gelinas played as many games up to this point he would likely be at the same or higher totals. . That is disgusting.

A) Because it doesn't matter to half the board if Zajac produces 25-30 point seasons so long as he brings intangibles
B) Because this is what he is at this point. People can't dispute it or rationalize it away anymore, after practically THREE FULL seasons of not producing without Parise (including '10-11)

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Ryder has to go as well has Salvaor. However, Cory needs to be better, he pretty much sucked even if the defense left him to dry. Funny, keeping Marty was maybe Lou's best move.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
46965351_zpscc3cf002.jpg

Bosskarelli

Jun 21, 2007
Florida
Why are we calling out guys like Bernier and Carter when our "#1 Center" has 10 goals and is on pace for 40 points (while playing besides a HOFer on pace for 70)? Zubrus and Zidlicky have the same number of goals. Henrique has double that goal total. If Eric Gelinas played as many games up to this point he would likely be at the same or higher totals. . That is disgusting.

Because Travis Zajac was drafted by the New Jersey Devils and for all Devils drafted players, 90% of the fanbase is willing to constantly lower their standards so that anything they do = godly amazing.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Gelinas is nowhere as bad as you make him. His offense easily makes up more a defensive brainfart here and there. He is actually our only defenseman who does not have a negative GF-GA ratio at 5 on 5. Gelly has been on ice for 25 goals for and 25 against. Every other dmen was on ice for more goals against than goals for at 5 on 5. Salvador on the other hand, has been average at best on defense with probably as many brainfarts as Gelly and adds nothing on offense to the team.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=25&s=25&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f4=D&f5=N.J&c=0+1+3+5+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28#snip=f

There have been brain farts every game

Very entertaining player to watch when it comes to offense, but his defense is very poor right now

Stats won't tell you how out of position he is on a consistent basis when guys are entering our D zone - and if you're out of position, you're kinda not doing your job

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Again with Gelinas why was it he had none of these brainfarts his first 12-15 games as a pro and is now Kurtis Foster II? Was it all Larsson covering for him or helping him confidence-wise? And if it was then shame on this team for not having him up here one way or another.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Again with Gelinas why was it he had none of these brainfarts his first 12-15 games as a pro and is now Kurtis Foster II? Was it all Larsson covering for him or helping him confidence-wise? And if it was then shame on this team for not having him up here one way or another.

I'm very intrigued by this thought

fortheloveof666

Resident soothsayer
Feb 22, 2007
Dirty Jerz
While now is a great time for knee-jerk finger pointing at this-and-that, what can be said is that our defense is the problem.

We can point at Zajac, but the offense showed up last night and has been for the last few outings. So, let's oil the squeaky wheel before we go and start worrying about functioning parts that just aren't performing as described.

Ryder might be a problem, but even despite his production at times, he's still probably going to be formidable over inexperienced guys from Albany. Boucher had a chance and showed promise, but equally showed that he isn't ready for this level of play on a consistent basis.

Sal is not playing NHL caliber hockey, and Merill was a liability that no insurance company in the world would have given a policy to as of late. He has upside, but it's fair to say he lacks composure to play meaningful games and last night surely proved it (that delay of game alone was a tell-all). How he is playing and a more agile Larsson is in the minors is inexplicable. Larsson needs to learn, but he is still mobile and has more overall experience. He might also show up with something to prove and right now...we need that.

Gelinas isn't great and he does have breakdowns, but his upside is something we still need and his downside is seemingly made worse by the ineptitude of everyone.

I believe I understand the point of the Ruutu trade, but we probably should have aimed to get a formidable defender that could replace Sal, captain or not we are lacking a tenacious defender who plays defense ONLY. Fayne is still in the middle, and we all know the rest bit-by-bit. If our only static defender is also inexcusably our worst...you'd tend to think that's a need you would address. No?

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Who's the hottest player on the Red Wings?

Franzen.

Okays let make sure we shut him down.

Game over.

Franzen...4 points

Good job.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
I'm very intrigued by this thought

First off it wasn't Larson covering up for Gelly, so it has to be they worked well together and should get another shot. However Pete will keep his head up his ass and do nothing. PROVE ME WRONG PETE GO AHEAD I DARE YOU.:laugh:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

51 does not round to 60 :laugh:

He's going to finish the year with ~25 goals and will flirt with 45-50 points, that's a fine season considering he did it without two top-5 wingers.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
51 does not round to 60 :laugh:

He's going to finish the year with ~25 goals and will flirt with 45-50 points, that's a fine season considering he did it without two top-5 wingers.

Where are you getting these numbers from? You know I was talking about Zajac not Henrique right?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Where are you getting these numbers from? You know I was talking about Zajac not Henrique right?

Oh geez, I thought you were talking about Henrique. Sorry bout that :laugh:

Still though, Zajac has 27 points in 48 points since getting paired with Jagr. That's a 46 point pace. Not great. But I think 50 points is acceptable. So he's within range of the level he should be at.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In other news....Nyquist is a ****ing champion. He's like a more dynamic version of Zetterberg. Dude is going to be the next big thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad