GDT: NJ vs. CAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
When you have Boucher-Gomez-Bernier as a top 6 in your line up, you need to expect a lack of offense.

Personally, I think our best forward was Rutuu. At least he brought what is asked of him, a physical game. I still think he needs to be given a bigger role on our team (Considering the lack of actual talent in our fwds.)

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Ducks
@ BJs
Habs
@ Rangers
Rangers
@ Lightning
@ Panthers

I'm really not sure if were winning another game. Maybe the Florida game if that turns out to be meaningless for them?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Who needs goal scoring? So sick of this old and tired defensive meme.

#ARMYOFPANDOLFOS

These are the ignorant posts that irk me. the lack of offense has nothing to do with the organization's philosophy, and everything to do with the loss of significantly talented forwards that haven't been able to be replaced, along with the related issue of having none of our offensive prospects pan out.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
These are the ignorant posts that irk me. the lack of offense has nothing to do with the organization's philosophy, and everything to do with the loss of significantly talented forwards that haven't been able to be replaced, along with the related issue of having none of our offensive prospects pan out.

Sooooooo you're saying.....we....suck? Yes?:laugh:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Devils woes are more rooted in personnel problems (especially lack of decent top six forwards) than in organizational philosophy. The blueprint works; some of the parts the team is using are just defective. That's my perspective.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Devils woes are more rooted in personnel problems (especially lack of decent top six forwards) than in organizational philosophy. The blueprint works; some of the parts the team is using are just defective. That's my perspective.

Good point. The team is simply made of 12 3rd/4th/AHL players. It's really that simple. On a good night, maybe Camms, Henrique, or Zajac show flashes of 2nd line potential. There's not a single 1st line Stanley Cup winning caliber forward on this team. For the most part, there's really not a 2nd line one either.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
The entire team's problems comes from having players like Tootoo, Bernier, Zajac, etc. in the top 6. Must be worst top 6 other than Buffalo in the entire league. it's not to say tootoo or bernier play bad but it's just that they are way outmatched for the role they are in and Lou will def sign them next season so I don't think much will change goal scoring wise next year.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Good point. The team is simply made of 12 3rd/4th/AHL players. It's really that simple. On a good night, maybe Camms, Henrique, or Zajac show flashes of 2nd line potential. There's not a single 1st line Stanley Cup winning caliber forward on this team. For the most part, there's really not a 2nd line one either.

Yep. Right now a lot of our forwards are being asked to fill roles that they don't have the skill to do adequately. Almost every forward on the team plays a line or two above their ability level. With the model the Devils are using, we don't need exceptional forwards, but we do need decent ones (and decent as compared to their NHL peers in similar roles, basically).

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
If I was building an offense to compete for a Cup out of this roster I'd have about this as far as being on my way:

? - ? - ?
? - Henrique - ?
Cammalieri - Zajac - ?
Whoever - Whoever - Whoever

Seriously. That's how bad we are.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If I was building an offense to compete for a Cup out of this roster I'd have about this as far as being on my way:

? - ? - ?
? - Henrique - ?
Cammalieri - Zajac - ?
Whoever - Whoever - Whoever

Seriously. That's how bad we are.

Cammy can definitely be a 1st/2nd liner. Zajac can be a 2nd liner too, his problem is that he's expected to be our 1st line center. It's bad, but at least give credit where it's due.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Cammy can definitely be a 1st/2nd liner. Zajac can be a 2nd liner too, his problem is that he's expected to be our 1st line center. It's bad, but at least give credit where it's due.

If you look around the league, I'd pick probably 20 LWers id rather have than Camm on the 2nd line and Zajac is more of a two way guy who fits more of a Bobby Holik 3rd line role than a scoring 2nd line C.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If you look around the league, I'd pick probably 20 LWers id rather have than Camm on the 2nd line and Zajac is more of a two way guy who fits more of a Bobby Holik 3rd line role than a scoring 2nd line C.

I don't care about the rest of the league, I think Cammy is a legit top winger. With Zajac, I teeter on it myself, but I think if he was given less responsibility and had decent wingers he can fill in a decent 2nd line center.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I don't care about the rest of the league, I think Cammy is a legit top winger. With Zajac, I teeter on it myself, but I think if he was given less responsibility and had decent wingers he can fill in a decent 2nd line center.

Right but I'm talking about a lineup that can win the cup. Not a couple guys you have a special place in your heart for because you bought their jersey or they look cute to you in uniform.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Cammalleri's a legit 30-goal scorer and might hit 30 despite missing multiple games and playing in a dumpster fire of a forward core, it's not homerism to say he belongs in a top six. Just because nobody else on this team deserves to be in a top six except MAYBE Henrique, doesn't automatically mean EVERYthing on the team is ****

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Sorry im in a bad mood. Nothing personal.

Camms has 2nd line talent I hear you. He's not my prototype is all I'm getting at, but he's the best of a not so good situation here.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

If Chicago can win two cups with no 2nd-line center better than Michal Handzus, Zajac can be a 2nd line center on a contending team. But I do agree with your general point. There's not a lot of value on the roster, to say the least.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Keep drinking the kool-aid. One of these safe two way slugs will pan out one of these years. We have Boucher, the only thing that remotely represents an offensive player but we need to neuter him so he be a "safe" player. Maybe we can turn him into another black hole like Zajac.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Cami is a top 6 player on most teams in the league.

Other than that, I agree. Zajac is best suited as a 3rd line center and Henrique is best suited as a 2nd or 3rd line tweener depending on who he is playing with. The forward group is really a disaster and it's gonna take years of really savvy moves and good drafting to fix it without gutting the young D. That said, I don't think they are too far away from being a respectable team with an outside shot at the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad