Post-Game Talk: NJ v DC @7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
@twabby Kuzy is literally talking right now about how much better he's playing compared to earlier this year.

He's getting the (personal) breaks, and I'm sure that is a liberating feeling and makes him think he is playing better.

But he shouldn't be hard on himself, as he's been playing well all season long. And his on-ice numbers have reflected that all season long.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You literally cannot quantify effort, drive, focus, or buying in into any stats, I'm sorry. Kuzy hasn't been this good since the Cup run to me.

You might not be able to quantify those specific items you mention, but if those items are indeed improved then they will surely improve his on-ice numbers as well which can be quantified. The fact is, he is playing as well as he has all season: which is to say extremely well.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Kuzy also just mentioned he had private conversations and talks with Lavi - wouldn't disclose them. Something must have ticked. He said he wants to continue to grow and play better. So glad to hear. Seems like him and Lavi are on the same page and Lavi pushed the buttons that he needed to push.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Kuzy also just mentioned he had private conversations and talks with Lavi - wouldn't disclose them. Something must have ticked. He said he wants to continue to grow and play better. So glad to hear. Seems like him and Lavi are on the same page and Lavi pushed the buttons that he needed to push.

Sounds like a professional relationship from both sides, well done. Kuzy clearly came into this season motivated to put his disappointing 2 years under Rierden in the rear-view mirror and has shown it from Game #1 with his standout 5v5 play, while Laviolette (understandably) needed to see Kuznetsov put up a large sample of good overall performances before trusting him in high-leverage defensive situations given his terrible defensive play under Rierden.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Sounds like a professional relationship from both sides, well done. Kuzy clearly came into this season motivated to put his disappointing 2 years under Rierden in the rear-view mirror and has shown it from Game #1 with his standout 5v5 play, while Laviolette (understandably) needed to see Kuznetsov put up a large sample of good overall performances before trusting him in high-leverage defensive situations given his terrible defensive play under Rierden.
Lavi is a legit coach. Such a difference with this team!

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Caps have never had problems finding regulars season success, even Reirden won the division twice. Lets wait for the playoffs.
They won under Reirden because they were a very talented team, not because they were a very good team. The team defense was terrible, the neutral zone was a complete joke, and they frequently got outplayed but won due to their skill.

Now, they’re a top 5 defensive team with mediocre goaltending, and an offense that is extremely good at finishing their chances but middle off the pack in creating those chances. That’s a pretty good combo to have, and a winning formula for the playoffs, especially as their xGF/GA rates continue to trend in the right direction as well as the goaltending.

FWIW, their xG ratios are pretty darn similar to what they were from 14-15 through 16-17. They were middle off the pack in xG’s (but finished at a much higher rate) and 7th in xGA (but Holtby was really good).

Yeah, they didn’t win until 17/18, but I’ll take my chances with a team that is this skilled buying in and playing the right way. Especially after they finally got over the hump a few years ago. If they receive even league average goaltending, they’re gonna be really hard to beat.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think your story sounds more interesting, but it doesn’t jive with the facts. It’s clear he’s bought in from the beginning of the year, and the numbers from game #1 reflect that buy-in.
I know I'm going to regret saying this* but Kuzy did say he has a better understanding now of what Lavi wants from him.

*hides for cover from three pages worth of graphs.

But yeah, Kuzy magic is always welcome around here.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I know I'm going to regret saying this* but Kuzy did say he has a better understanding now of what Lavi wants from him.

*hides for cover from three pages worth of graphs.

But yeah, Kuzy magic is always welcome around here.

I’m sure there have been some tweaks made during the season and I have no doubt he has a better understanding of Laviolette’s expectations now than earlier in the season, but the major change in Kuznetsov’s game clearly came this offseason/preseason and not 10-15 games ago. I won’t beat anyone over the head with the graphs and numbers since they have been posted before, but the expected goals have been there all season, and even the for-real goals have been there all season. It’s just that now over the past 10 or so games he’s picking up the points on these goals that he’d already been contributing to.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I’m sure there have been some tweaks made during the season and I have no doubt he has a better understanding of Laviolette’s expectations now than earlier in the season, but the major change in Kuznetsov’s game clearly came this offseason/preseason and not 10-15 games ago. I won’t beat anyone over the head with the graphs and numbers since they have been posted before, but the expected goals have been there all season, and even the for-real goals have been there all season. It’s just that now over the past 10 or so games he’s picking up the points on these goals that he’d already been contributing to.
I don’t think anyone ever questioned his offense. The issue was his defense and effort. It’s really there now and he has become trusted in late-game situations because of his all-around play the last ten or so games. Tonight, Kuzy was backchecking so hard every shift and even diving to block shots and passes. Earlier in the year, he was going for line changes instead of backchecking and just loafing off on D. Totally different player in terms of defense and effort to me right now than he was earlier in the year.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He's getting the (personal) breaks, and I'm sure that is a liberating feeling and makes him think he is playing better.

But he shouldn't be hard on himself, as he's been playing well all season long. And his on-ice numbers have reflected that all season long.
Wow.

So now you know better than the player and the coach.

Reactions: twabby and Calicaps

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Imagine thinking Sprong didn't earn a regular lineup spot..

Did Sprong replace Sheary on the 1st line in this game? And Sheary moved to LW on the 3rd?
If so then I guess Lavi is seeing if there is chemistry there (2 assists would say it looks good) with a view towards Sheary dropping to 13F when Eller returns.

I'd honestly rather see Panik or Sheary being dropped than Sprong. Out of the 3 Sprong looks to have the most upside.

Reactions: max21

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Did Sprong replace Sheary on the 1st line in this game? And Sheary moved to LW on the 3rd?
If so then I guess Lavi is seeing if there is chemistry there (2 assists would say it looks good) with a view towards Sheary dropping to 13F when Eller returns.

I'd honestly rather see Panik or Sheary being dropped than Sprong. Out of the 3 Sprong looks to have the most upside.
Agreed. I might be stupid but honestly I don't buy any rationale behind sitting Sprong at this point. Tf they want him to do? You can't sit here and justify a guy like Panik playing over him with a straight face, that's just downright offensive.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Man if you can’t see the change in Kuzy in the last 2 weeks, not sure you’re watching....

Points in 7 of 8, 2 GWG, 9 pts, getting more ice time as a result (of a more complete effort) in key situations...

The points were always coming given his level of play. It’s not like I wasn’t predicting this exact thing would happen!

Reactions: kicksavedave

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think the main disconnect is that I’m looking for what a players is doing that will indicate future success. Kuzy has been doing mostly everything right offensively and defensively all season long, minus a few lazy line changes or other small items. Because of this, it was inevitable that he would start collecting some points. This is why I’ve been so high on Kuznetsov, and a bit cautious regarding players like Backstrom and Wilson whose numbers are somewhat inflated right now and who aren’t actually playing very well overall IMO.

Points are somewhat incidental and subject to decent amounts of luck. For instance, his second goal tonight was a good play by him to deflect the puck toward the net, but wasn’t it lucky that it deflected off Damon Severson’s skate into the net? He wasn’t getting those breaks earlier in the season.

I have no doubt he’s feeling more confident now due to scoring more recently. Maybe this added confidence is making him feel better about his game. But he’s been doing the big things right all season. His defensive effort has been there all season, otherwise his defensive numbers would not have been so stellar all season. His offensive effort has been there all season, otherwise the numbers indicating he generates the most offense on the team would not have been there all season.

These same standout numbers were not present the past two seasons, in fact they were miserable under Rierden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia