NJ Hfboards Yahoo Fantasy Hockey (Keeper League Discussion)

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Another thing we can potentially do with the 5 keepers is introduce a rule that 1 of the 5 keepers must be a "rookie" keeper.

A rookie keeper could be defined as a player with 2 seasons or less. A season is considered 20 games or more.

For example Dustin Wolf played 1 game last season and 17 games this season. He still has 3 seasons of rookie keeper eligibility because he hasnt yet played 20 games in a season yet.

Where the likes of Bedard and Luke Hughes has rookie eligiblity for 2024-25 and 2025-26 season but lose their rookie eligibility for 2026-27 assuming they play 20 games or more in each of the next 2 seasons.

Basically this will allow more quality players to go into the draft pool and force teams to pick up a young player with 2 seasons or less via draft or waiver wire to fill the mandatory rookie keeper slot.

If we were to introduce this rule, it would have to apply in 12 months time to allow teams to plan for the new rule and potentially adjust their draft strategy. Drafting Celebrini over a player like Jesper Bratt could be favored because he has 3 years of rookie keeper eligibility.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I've never done a fantasy league where picks have been traded. How does that work? Do we HAVE to keep 5 players? What's the draft order?
You DO have to keep 5 players and when trading picks you need to get a pick in return for your pick traded so everyone has equal number of picks in the draft.

First 5 round picks in the draft is designated for keepers. Therefore first available pick to trade is 6th round.

Using Kempe example, if BG is willing to accept a 6th round pick for Kempe, then the deal would be, BG sends Kempe and his last round pick for a 6th round pick.

As a result the team acquiring Kempe loses a mid round pick for a potential keeper and has two picks in the last round.

And BG will have two 6th round picks for a player he wasnt going to keep as one of his five.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billdo

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I think the rookie keeper is a good idea. I would phase it in a little slower however, say next off season 5 keepers plus the rookie, then the year after 4 keepers plus the rookie.

I don't know if I would want to "penalize" the playoff winner with handicapping them. I think there's a lot of luck to the playoffs.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I just want a draft during the week... weekends or a Friday are rough with the wife and kids to miss something for a fantasy hockey draft lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
one thing that i find helps with keepers is... putting a limit on the studs.

So that can mean a guy being kept only for 3 years.

or

You can't keep a guy drafted in the first 2 rounds (though that would be tough given the history of the league). That kind of only works at the start of a league - but it does promote the keeper aspect (taking shots at guys who may breakout). Maybe someone can have a thought related to it.

I ran a league for awhile... and the keeper rules were a bit complicated. We did a combination of the above. But ultimately it worked around the idea that studs were available each year.

spitballin

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
one thing that i find helps with keepers is... putting a limit on the studs.

So that can mean a guy being kept only for 3 years.

or

You can't keep a guy drafted in the first 2 rounds (though that would be tough given the history of the league). That kind of only works at the start of a league - but it does promote the keeper aspect (taking shots at guys who may breakout). Maybe someone can have a thought related to it.

I ran a league for awhile... and the keeper rules were a bit complicated. We did a combination of the above. But ultimately it worked around the idea that studs were available each year.

spitballin
I do a football league where we only keep one guy but you can't keep him back to back. So like last year I kept Nick Chubb, drafted him the year prior, can't keep him this year.

That wouldn't work here but maybe lowering the limit of 5 or something would help spread the wealth.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00