GDT: NJ at CHI 8:30 EST - MSG+; NHLN - TIME TO GET BACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hypotheticals about something that already happened are different than hypotheticals that are future based.

Any predictions on what G(s) Fitz might be closing in on?
I wish I could tell you who he might be closing in on.

In fact, I've tried to dig around to see who is expendable. Even the teams that have a JAG goalie that's worth nothing will probably decide to keep those JAG goalies to backup and give their starters rest down the stretch before the playoff runs.

I mean, one name that I thought of that came to mind after laughing about him the other night, David Rittich? But the Predators might wanna use him more down the stretch so they don't burn Saros out before the playoffs. They did have some guy named Ingram playing there earlier this year and he was pretty bad from what I remember. Maybe Rittich is expendable for them and they call Ingram up?

Pheonix Copley maybe? Don't get me wrong, he's probably close to as bad as Gillies, if not as bad as Gillies, but at least if you had another Gillies here you wouldn't have to keep throwing the same Gillies out there to suck every night (and the kids could stay in Utica) and maybe one of them gets on a hot streak.

And you never know, maybe we don't acquire anybody, but if we have made our last goalie acquisition for the season, that guarantees that one of Daws or Schmid is up here (along with Gillies) until (if) Blackwood is ready. Unless they start plucking some of the ECHL guys to play or sit up here while returning both Daws and Schmid to Utica, which seems highly unlikely.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I wish I could tell you who he might be closing in on.

In fact, I've tried to dig around to see who is expendable. Even the teams that have a JAG goalie that's worth nothing will probably decide to keep those JAG goalies to backup and give their starters rest down the stretch before the playoff runs.

I mean, one name that I thought of that came to mind after laughing about him the other night, David Rittich? But the Predators might wanna use him more down the stretch so they don't burn Saros out before the playoffs. They did have some guy named Ingram playing there earlier this year and he was pretty bad from what I remember. Maybe Rittich is expendable for them and they call Ingram up?

Pheonix Copley maybe? Don't get me wrong, he's probably close to as bad as Gillies, if not as bad as Gillies, but at least if you had another Gillies here you wouldn't have to keep throwing the same Gillies out there to suck every night (and the kids could stay in Utica) and maybe one of them gets on a hot streak.

And you never know, maybe we don't acquire anybody, but if we have made our last goalie acquisition for the season, that guarantees that one of Daws or Schmid is up here (along with Gillies) until (if) Blackwood is ready. Unless they start plucking some of the ECHL guys to play or sit up here while returning both Daws and Schmid to Utica, which seems highly unlikely.

@Brodeur posted every team's G depth and suggested Halak, who has an NMC. It would be great if he waived for NJ.

For now I wouldn't look at playoffs and bubble teams because I think they will want to retain their G depth for their runs. There is competition from other teams looking for the same and will probably drive up prices.

If Vancouver does trade a G, I'm thinking Spencer Martin for a stop gap. Sure he has very little NHL experience with three games this year and three games five years ago with Colorado, but he is 26. I'd rather he take the lumps than Daws or Schmid. It would suck for Martin if he gets lit up. I wouldn't wish this situation on any G that is still trying to establish an NHL career, but there's only two months to go.

I guess I am now afflicted with Gillies Syndrome.

The UFA G crop this year is paltry as well. I'm not sure what an off season trade would look like either.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So I’ve gotten predictions wrong? Okay?

My worst moment was “Gillies can’t be worse than Blackwood since the start of December”. Now everyone should really give it to me for that one. That one aged really well. I really deserve pies, tomatoes and anything else anyone wants to pelt at me for that one.

It’s funny because the one prediction I took the most heat for on here but nailed easily was that Schneider was finished and never bouncing back. I took more shit for that then any prediction on here. But I’m no prophet, I just don’t understand how everybody else didn’t make that some proclamation. That was the easiest bet of the decade. The fact that we would see somebody come in here and play worse than any of them (Gillies) was really one I never saw coming though. You can lambast me for that one all you want.

BOOOOOO!!!!!

That does help:

Reactions: Bleedred

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I responded back to this last night, but I missed this part.

Looking around the league they got jobs? Really?

Okay, the only reason Aaron Dell played in the NHL this year is because Buffalo

Cory Schneider has NOT played an NHL game in the regular season

Keith Kinkaid was signed the last two years to play in the AHL. He's only played in the NHL the last two years because he got called up when the Rangers had goalie injuries. Once again, AHL goalie. How does this count?

Comrie is in the NHL right now and has been all season as Hellebuyck's backup,

So, none of these guys are really ''around the league'' right now, other than Wedgewood, who at 29 years old has now played his career high in games in the NHL. Guys that are in the AHL and called up to the NHL do not qualify as having jobs in the NHL.

Dude. All of these guys are AROUND THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW. You just contradicted yourself with your entire post. The Islanders just sent Schneider back because Varlamov came off of COVID.

My point is that goaltending is SOOOOOO ridiculously thin that all of these guys who've you been repeatedly calling out as NOT NHL GOALTENDERS are frigging in the NHL -

I agree - they have no business being in the NHL - but here they are. I agree, teams are trying their damndest to ensure they never see action, and they are almost glorified equipment men filling in on an emergency basis.

Yet - here we frigging are. And we are playing Gillies who really might be the worst of them as you say.

I'm just trying to refute the 'oh, let's go out and get another goaltender and we'll be a playoff team' bullshit and the 'all Blackwood's fault, let's jettison him' bullshit, because clearly - it's hard to find a guy who is reliable, healthy and good enough to play ANY games, much less 82 or 40.

Yeah, we need better goaltending. We had better goaltending and our bad team broke it through concussions, bad coaching lineup decisions that overplayed injured guys, and through just really bad play that exposed mediocre but really adequate tenders to just shit situations on a nightly basis.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
This. Not sure why it's so hard to understand.

Because even with good goaltending, we are a river hockey clownshow that allows 3 ppg, repeated 2-on-1s that we clearly do not know how to play, deflect goals into our own net, ridiculous shorthanded breakaways every other powerplay, and giveaway the puck at the bluelines almost every trip up the ice.

Not sure why THAT is hard to understand.

You don't play incredibly stupid hockey and pinch with 6minutes left in the third, on the road, tied 4-4 in front of a ridiculous scrub AHL goaltender.

Guess what - they deserved to lose. The only reason they were in the game was because Lankinen and the Hawks defense was arguably WORSE.

I mean.

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Dude. All of these guys are AROUND THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW. You just contradicted yourself with your entire post. The Islanders just sent Schneider back because Varlamov came off of COVID.

My point is that goaltending is SOOOOOO ridiculously thin that all of these guys who've you been repeatedly calling out as NOT NHL GOALTENDERS are frigging in the NHL -

I agree - they have no business being in the NHL - but here they are. I agree, teams are trying their damndest to ensure they never see action, and they are almost glorified equipment men filling in on an emergency basis.

Yet - here we frigging are. And we are playing Gillies who really might be the worst of them as you say.

I'm just trying to refute the 'oh, let's go out and get another goaltender and we'll be a playoff team' bullshit and the 'all Blackwood's fault, let's jettison him' bullshit, because clearly - it's hard to find a guy who is reliable, healthy and good enough to play ANY games, much less 82 or 40.

Yeah, we need better goaltending. We had better goaltending and our bad team broke it through concussions, bad coaching lineup decisions that overplayed injured guys, and through just really bad play that exposed mediocre but really adequate tenders to just shit situations on a nightly basis.
Dude, Schneider hasn't played a game in TWO years in the NHL. He's been with the Islanders for two years and has done nothing but sit on the bench dressed at the very most. And played in practice I guess too. And the preseason, but that counts now? Now if he played in the preseason does my claim that he hasn't played in the NHL in 2 years not technically stand?

You're just trying to contradict me here. How nitpicky are you gonna get here to try to make your point and prove me wrong?

I don't know how Schneider dressing as a backup qualifies him as still being around the league. They won't even put him in a game in relief during a blowout. David Ayres is probably still around the league too, driving a zamboni in Toronto. Jorge Alves is still around the league too, hanging around the Hurricanes as an equipment guy. Actually, I'm bet Jorge Alves has spent more games on an NHL bench in the last two years than Schneider has.

When you say that these are still around the league, that would imply that actually play. And some of them have as the fourth and fifth goalies teams have used, other than Wedgewood.

Now some of them have played, but Schneider has NOT. Why exactly does he count? He's played as many NHL games the last two years as Barry Trotz and Lou Lamoriello have.

Kinkaid was the FOURTH goalie the Rangers used this year? I think Huska played even before Kinkaid got a game.

I think Dell was the fourth or fifth goalie Buffalo used this year too? He was at least the fourth. I'm almost positive Luokkonen (I forgot that guy's name, but he's young and he's been injured I think) played an NHL game before him this year and I know Anderson and Tokarski both did too. Did Malcolm Subban even play before Dell this year for Buffalo?

Over 100 goalies have played in the league this year. I think we already broke the record for most goalies to play in the league in a single season back around the turn of the calendar year, due to all the covid stuff.

The only slob goalie that has a full time gig this year that I've trashed in the past is Wedgewood. That's it. Only him.

And I guess Gillies this year, but I didn't trash him before this year, because I didn't even know he existed until 2-3 months ago?

I think he might have played the Sharks at some point when he was called up for Calgary.

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Dude, Schneider hasn't played a game in TWO years in the NHL. He's been with the Islanders for two years and has done nothing but sit on the bench dressed at the very most. And played in practice I guess too. And the preseason, but that counts now? Now if he played in the preseason does my claim that he hasn't played in the NHL in 2 years not technically stand?

You're just trying to contradict me here. How nitpicky are you gonna get here to try to make your point and prove me wrong?

I don't know how Schneider dressing as a backup qualifies him as still being around the league. They won't even put him in a game in relief during a blowout. David Ayres is probably still around the league too, driving a zamboni in Toronto. Jorge Alves is still around the league too, hanging around the Hurricanes as an equipment guy. Actually, I'm bet Jorge Alves has spent more games on an NHL bench in the last two years than Schneider has.

When you say that these are still around the league, that would imply that actually play. And some of them have as the fourth and fifth goalies teams have used, other than Wedgewood.

Now some of them have played, but Schneider has NOT. Why exactly does he count? He's played as many NHL games the last two years as Barry Trotz and Lou Lamoriello have.

Kinkaid was the FOURTH goalie the Rangers used this year? I think Huska played even before Kinkaid got a game.

I think Dell was the fourth or fifth goalie Buffalo used this year too? He was at least the fourth. I'm almost positive Luokkonen (I forgot that guy's name, but he's young and he's been injured I think) played an NHL game before him this year and I know Anderson and Tokarski both did too. Did Malcolm Subban even play before Dell this year for Buffalo?

Over 100 goalies have played in the league this year. I think we already broke the record for most goalies to play in the league in a single season back around the turn of the calendar year, due to all the covid stuff.

The only slob goalie that has a full time gig this year that I've trashed in the past is Wedgewood. That's it. Only him.

And I guess Gillies this year, but I didn't trash him before this year, because I didn't even know he existed until 2-3 months ago?

I think he might have played the Sharks at some point when he was called up for Calgary.

I think "around the NHL" is pretty self-explanatory and makes no assumption of playing time.

Being on an NHL roster because THERE ISN'T A BETTER OPTION for a team sure as hell counts and is indicative of where NHL goaltending is at these days.

We're on goaltender #3 or 4 or 5 or 6 depending upon what you really think our options were. Even guys like Bishop and Rask (and Rinne last year) were even able to hold on to their dream after surgeries at an advanced age because NHL goaltending is so thin.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gillies has actually not played the Sharks.

Now I knew he never played the Devils, I was comfortable enough to bet the title to my house on that one. Because he only played for the Flames (and one game for the Blues this year) before this year and that would have been easy to remember, as we only play the Flames twice a year and he's only played in 16-17 (1 game against LA) and 17-18 before this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think "around the NHL" is pretty self-explanatory and makes no assumption of playing time.

Being on an NHL roster because THERE ISN'T A BETTER OPTION for a team sure as hell counts and is indicative of where NHL goaltending is at these days.

We're on goaltender #3 or 4 or 5 or 6 depending upon what you really think our options were. Even guys like Bishop and Rask (and Rinne last year) were even able to hold on to their dream after surgeries at an advanced age because NHL goaltending is so thin.
Come on dude. When these guys left the Devils, their careers were pretty much either over or all but completely over in the NHL.

Kinkaid has played 16 games post-Devils, with 9 of them coming last year when of the Rangers two goalies were injured.

He signed with Montreal in the summer of 2019 and him and Schneider were both waived within a week or two of each other.

I mean f***! I just totally forgot that we traded Kinkaid to Columbus at the trade deadline (I think we're FINALLY making that pick THIS YEAR!) and they didn't even play him one game the rest of that year either. I think he dressed as the backup for Korpisalo that year and that was it.

Louis Domingue (one name neither of us mentioned in these posts) played a couple games for Vancouver after he last played for us. And I know he's been up this year for some team that had a goalie. Hockey reference will freeze my computer up if I look it up.

In fact, I think Louis Domingue has played in a game this year? I remember reviewing it for my goals against reviews, but I don't think I counted him for a goal stoppable, so his name isn't in my database for this year.

Anyway, all those guys full time NHL careers were over anyway. Domingue had some success in the NHL, just like Kinkaid and Dell did, but this type of goalie usually don't make it too far into their 30's before they're relegated to the AHL.

I don't even put Gillies in their category as they've had some semblance of NHL success. Even as backups.

Scott Wedgewood is a weird one, because just like Gillies, he has now hit his career high in games played for a season this year at 29 years old. Scott Wedgewood is almost taking a similar path to Scott Clemmensen,

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Come on dude. When these guys left the Devils, their careers were pretty much either over or all but completely over in the NHL.

Kinkaid has played 16 games post-Devils, with 9 of them coming last year when of the Rangers two goalies were injured.

He signed with Montreal in the summer of 2019 and him and Schneider were both waived within a week or two of each other.

I mean f***! I just totally forgot that we traded Kinkaid to Columbus at the trade deadline (I think we're FINALLY making that pick THIS YEAR!) and they didn't even play him one game the rest of that year either. I think he dressed as the backup for Korpisalo that year and that was it.

Louis Domingue (one name neither of us mentioned in these posts) played a couple games for Vancouver after he last played for us. And I know he's been up this year for some team that had a goalie. Hockey reference will freeze my computer up if I look it up.

In fact, I think Louis Domingue has played in a game this year? I remember reviewing it for my goals against reviews, but I don't think I counted him for a goal stoppable, so his name isn't in my database for this year.

Anyway, all those guys full time NHL careers were over anyway. Domingue had some success in the NHL, just like Kinkaid and Dell did, but this type of goalie usually don't make it too far into their 30's before they're relegated to the AHL.

I don't even put Gillies in their category as they've had some semblance of NHL success. Even as backups.

Scott Wedgewood is a weird one, because just like Gillies, he has now hit his career high in games played for a season this year at 29 years old. Scott Wedgewood is almost taking a similar path to Scott Clemmensen,

My point still stands and is pretty much exactly what you are saying - WHY are these guys *anywhere* near NHL teams at this point? How desperate must teams be?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Domingue did play this year! I knew I remembered it. For Pittsburgh, won the game and stopped 40 of 41 shots against the Sharks LOL.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My point still stands and is pretty much exactly what you are saying - WHY are these guys *anywhere* near NHL teams at this point? How desperate must teams be?
These goalies are still good enough to play in the AHL. And when teams have to go digging through 3 or 4 goalies they tend to come next.

None of these goalies have gotten signed for the purpose of playing in the NHL this year. I mean, Dell didn't even get signed for the purpose of playing in the NHL last year. The Leafs signed him to be their third string guy, but they had to waive him and we picked him up.

I'm more shocked than anybody that Schneider dresses for all these games and still hasn't gotten one relief appearance in these two years.

I wonder if they'll give him one start later this year as sort of a send off, since they're out of the playoffs?

I can't imagine he wants to play pro hockey next year, unless he enjoys playing enough to do another year in the AHL, but I'm sure Lou would have him back to play in Bridgeport again, but I don't really know their goalie situation and if they have any good prospects making the jump for next year.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I can't imagine he wants to play pro hockey next year, unless he enjoys playing enough to do another year in the AHL, but I'm sure Lou would have him back to play in Bridgeport again, but I don't really know their goalie situation and if they have any good prospects making the jump for next year.

I'm totally down with getting a prorated $700000 salary to sit and watch a hockey game. I've got my pads in the garage.

700000/82 = $8536.38

Maybe you can even get a beer served to you.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm totally down with getting a prorated $700000 salary to sit and watch a hockey game. I've got my pads in the garage.
I certainly would be too, but after years of pro hockey and at one point being one of the better goalies in the big leagues, it's gotta suck to be having to ride the buses and playing in the minors for a couple of years.

He'd probably get paid more to go play in one of the Euro leagues, but he probably wouldn't want to either move his family over there or be away from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad