Proposal: NJ—DAL, ARZ, NYI, TOR, PIT, WSH, CAR, BUF

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
While I do get a chuckle out of the very idea of Hall and Seguin on the same team, I doubt Nill would make that move.

It's possible to be elite and still be overpaid. :dunno:

You can still be elite at something and be overpaid, especially when that value straps your team at the cap and you are near the end of a contract that paid your value to you in your prime. Toews is also overpaid at $10.5million.
Except Zajac isn't overpaid. When he signed his deal, it was comparable to others that produced the same amount of points within his age group and agency status. Kevin Hayes is overpaid, and he's a comparable to Zajac when Zajac signed his current deal.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Except Zajac isn't overpaid. When he signed his deal, it was comparable to others that produced the same amount of points within his age group and agency status. Kevin Hayes is overpaid, and he's a comparable to Zajac when Zajac signed his current deal.
which is why I said that he got paid for his value when he was in his prime. He is a an excellent two way player. But nobody in a salary cap world when most contenders are at the cap, are going to pay him at $5.75 million..

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Vatanen- 1st from Pittsburgh or Washington

From a Caps perspective, they don't have the cap space to add a player with no salary going out. The Capitals also appear to have a company policy after Shattenkirk for not spending a 1st round pick for a rental.

Nick Jensen and one of the Caps defense prospects is a deal they could do. For 1st? No chance

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
From a Caps perspective, they don't have the cap space to add a player with no salary going out. The Capitals also appear to have a company policy after Shattenkirk for not spending a 1st round pick for a rental.

Nick Jensen and one of the Caps defense prospects is a deal they could do. For 1st? No chance
That’s a deal the Caps COULD do, I’m not sure it’s a deal they WOULD do. Jensen’s #s in WSH are definitely down and he’s not stabilizing the 2nd Pair like I imagine the original hope was. However, I’m not sure Vatanen is a significant enough upgrade to make a trade for trade sake worthwhile. I’d imagine, in this scenario, the Caps would be content to sit tight.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If Hall gets moved it'll be myself. He's one of the top players in the league, no way does he get moved + another player from the Devils.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That’s a deal the Caps COULD do, I’m not sure it’s a deal they WOULD do. Jensen’s #s in WSH are definitely down and he’s not stabilizing the 2nd Pair like I imagine the original hope was. However, I’m not sure Vatanen is a significant enough upgrade to make a trade for trade sake worthwhile. I’d imagine, in this scenario, the Caps would be content to sit tight.

My position on Jensen was that he was signed to the extension because they saw him as the replacement for Niskanen with Orlov. If Jensen fails to do that, they have a problem because Gudas cant handle those minutes.

I am not sold that Jensen will fail. I have liked what ive seen latey. IF Jensen fails, I could see Vatanen as an option. Vatanen kills penalties and was a primary PK defenseman when he was in the playoffs with the Ducks. He is small for the Caps tastes but can skate.

If Jensen fails, he needs to go somewhere that is a better fit. He cant stay.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
It would be interesting to see how Dallas could make Hall work with the cap.

Hall-Seguin-Radulov
Benn-Hintz-Pavelski
Perry-Faksa-Comeau
Gurianov-Dickinson-Cogliano/Janmark

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
It would be interesting to see how Dallas could make Hall work with the cap.

Hall-Seguin-Radulov
Benn-Hintz-Pavelski
Perry-Faksa-Comeau
Gurianov-Dickinson-Cogliano/Janmark

I think Cogliano would probably have to come back to the Devils, yeah? 3.25 isn't crippling, but he's probably considerably overpaid for what he does. With only one additional year left on the deal, that's the type dump the Devils can easily take back.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
So these are just some ideas I’ve been thinking about. Obviously they are not all going to get traded and with NJ already deep at Centre and a good possibility that they may have a top pick again and draft the BPA which may be a centre, I am obviously going after defense or wingers . Keep in mind they are just ideas and are just starters and may need to be added or taken away.

These are not set offers either and may need to be tweaked by maybe adding to Hall or other Devils. With Hall it is hard to tell based off of a sign and trade as his value may a lot be worth more after a signing.

Hall retained-Dallas for Harley or Gurianov im thinking more Gurianov as Harley might be a little too much coming back for a rental as I don’t think Dallas has room to sign him next year.

Hall + Wood - ARizona Soderstrom, first if resigned.

Hall Zajac retained- NYI Wilde 1st if resigned.

zajac retained to NYI for 2nd

simmonds + Greene(retained) to TML for bracco 3rd 2021. Toronto desperately needs some grit and Greene is still a very serviceable bottom pairing defenseman who was arguably the best penalty killing defenseman in the league last year.

Vatanen- 1st from Pittsburgh or Washington

McLeod to Carolina for Jake Bean

miles Wood to Buffalo for McCabe. Thoughts?
No on McCabe...unless it's in a bigger deal for Hall.

After Dahlin and McCabe we have nobody at LHD once Scandella is sent packing...not until one of our many LHD prospects are ready, which could also be used in a Hall trade.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
My position on Jensen was that he was signed to the extension because they saw him as the replacement for Niskanen with Orlov. If Jensen fails to do that, they have a problem because Gudas cant handle those minutes.

I am not sold that Jensen will fail. I have liked what ive seen latey. IF Jensen fails, I could see Vatanen as an option. Vatanen kills penalties and was a primary PK defenseman when he was in the playoffs with the Ducks. He is small for the Caps tastes but can skate.

If Jensen fails, he needs to go somewhere that is a better fit. He cant stay.
I guess ultimately I don’t think the Caps are through evaluating Jensen’s fit to the point that they’d see value in trading him for Vatanen and I doubt they’ll get to that point this season.

Reactions: txpd

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Vatanen is soft. Doesn't fit Capitals style of play.

Price is too high aswell.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Vatanen is soft. Doesn't fit Capitals style of play.

Price is too high aswell.

Vats is on the smaller side but he’s far from soft. He’s pretty feisty. Someone will make a decent offer for him at the TDL just like every year when rentals get moved for more than the fans of teams think is worthwhile. Not worth worrying about now.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I could see Washington wanting to upgrade Jensen if they feel he can't lockdown the 2RD role for a Cup run but I can't see them paying a 1st for Vatanen to do that. They're set on the left side, barring injury.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I guess ultimately I don’t think the Caps are through evaluating Jensen’s fit to the point that they’d see value in trading him for Vatanen and I doubt they’ll get to that point this season.

I think any decision is yet to be made for sure. That said MacLellan has said in the last 30 days that he is not happy with either Jensen or Gudas where it comes to playing that Orlov partner role. He made it pretty clear to me that he wasn't satisfied and his track record is that he will make a change. Vatanen is small and probaby not the Caps sort of player, but I definitely don't thinks either Jensen or Gudas are safe.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
we already know a hall trade is gonna happen let's see who can predict it. I'm gonna go with 1st + Norlinder + McNiven from the Habs

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Vats is on the smaller side but he’s far from soft. He’s pretty feisty. Someone will make a decent offer for him at the TDL just like every year when rentals get moved for more than the fans of teams think is worthwhile. Not worth worrying about now.

Its also true that many TDL rentals bring less than fans expected. With Vatanen, who knows. We will see. Its very unlikely that the Capitals spend a first on a rental. They need to hit on those firsts in order to keep a quality team going forward and be under the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad