Confirmed with Link: nino to preds

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I keep hearing this mentioned. What has he done over the years? Was there some off-ice things?
None that I'm aware of. Just on-ice antics. Chippy, pesty, and behind-the-play type stuff. Not as egregious as a Marchand or Tkachuk, or even Svechnikov, but enough to make us an even further pain-in-the-ass to play against than we already are.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
None that I'm aware of. Just on-ice antics. Chippy, pesty, and behind-the-play type stuff. Not as egregious as a Marchand or Tkachuk, or even Svechnikov, but enough to make us an even further pain-in-the-ass to play against than we already are.
Ah, I am happy with this. I remember him being in the middle of the scrum in the blue ice plenty of times against us.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Guy's a total douchecanoe, so was a perfect fit for the Canes alongside the likes of Svechnikov. This should work out well for us and the price is right. We've actually managed to get even tougher to play against than we were last season.
Yeh we are gonna be a total pain in the butt. Nino is a pest but in a way that doesn’t get penalized a lot (only 34 penalty mins last season).

Should have a strong defense
A large group of big, physical players
Strong starting goalie

Reactions: weeze

You

Jul 1, 2010
I want to say he pointlessly concussed Saros a couple years ago?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I still do not think our top 6 is there. Or really even close to being good enough to contend unless tomasino makes a huge leap. As far as this deal, it’s a good one. Good contract and fits what we have assembled here.

Any slight possibility of tkachuk is gone. I would have done whatever possible to get him if it was me seeing that we were on his short list of destinations.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I still do not think our top 6 is there. Or really even close to being good enough to contend unless tomasino makes a huge leap. As far as this deal, it’s a good one. Good contract and fits what we have assembled here.

Any slight possibility of tkachuk is gone. I would have done whatever possible to get him if it was me seeing that we were on his short list of destinations.
That list was reported as false, apparently

But the point is moot now anyway

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

For the top six we have Duchene, Forsberg, Jeannot, and now Nino coming off 20+ even strength goal seasons ... plus Trenin and Johansen with 17 and 15 respectively ... of the 69 forwards to score 20+ at even strength last season, four are Preds this fall. Figure Granlund centering the second line there's plenty of scoring on that top six.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I like the fact that we will be a tougher team to play against with our new additions. We were tough last year and have become tougher as well as better all-around. Not even with what Col had but they aren't the same as they were so who knows. Lets also become a little smarter as well. I don't mind a beatdown when it is needed and called for but pick and choose a little more this year, but still stand your ground!

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
For the top six we have Duchene, Forsberg, Jeannot, and now Nino coming off 20+ even strength goal seasons ... plus Trenin and Johansen with 17 and 15 respectively ... of the 69 forwards to score 20+ at even strength last season, four are Preds this fall. Figure Granlund centering the second line there's plenty of scoring on that top six.
Based off that information, would you personally roll with
Forsberg-Granlund-Duchene
Trenin-Johansen-Jeannot
As the top six going into the season?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
All career high totals for Duchene, Forsberg, and nino. i do expect similar totals again for jeannot, trenin, and Johansen.

Our even strength goals scored leaders in the past 4 years before the one we are referring too. Jarnkrok/Kunin (whipping boys), bonino, arvy, and arvy.

I just don’t have a lot of confidence some of the career years we saw this past season can be duplicated. If they are, Hynes is a better coach than I give him credit for. Tolvanen and Tomasino making a leap this coming year would be huge obviously.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I could see Nino on the third line. Would personally rather give the younger guys a shot than a 30 year old Nino who can barely hit 50 points in a season. I mean Jeannot almost had 50 pointslast season in his first full season and not on top lines either. Tomasino is gonna be something so he should top six 100% I feel.

Forsberg Duchene Granlund
Jeannot Johansen Tomasino
Tolvanen Glass Nino
Sanford Sissons Trenin

I like the looks of this.

Reactions: Fantomas

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
In the media availability, it really does sound like he is close with Josi and that had a big factor in him coming here. Josi was doing some recruiting.

I could see Nino on the third line. Would personally rather give the younger guys a shot than a 30 year old Nino who can barely hit 50 points in a season. I mean Jeannot almost had 50 pointslast season in his first full season and not on top lines either. Tomasino is gonna be something so he should top six 100% I feel.

Forsberg Duchene Granlund
Jeannot Johansen Tomasino
Tolvanen Glass Nino
Sanford Sissons Trenin

I like the looks of this.

It gives us a large amount of flexibility in the lineup. I am fine letting play dictate the minutes and usage as I am sure Hynes will be.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
i rescind my sentiments upon that being false then.

That overall list may have been false, but we have been listed near the top of the list of possible destinations from several different sources.

So I absolutely think it is true that we are (or were) on a short list for him.

And there are even some saying we are STILL in on him even after the NN signing.

Reactions: cool beans

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I like it. People are calling him inconsistent, but he looks to me like a consistent 20-25g scorer. His 11g in 67gms a few years ago was an anomaly and he followed it with two of his best seasons, regardless.

Apparently, he was going to go to Anaheim until Josi texted him and took his asking price to Poile. You gotta love the captain getting involved to facilitate a signing.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Solid deal. Only two years, which means we can move him next summer if need be.
I think Poile is loading up the best he can for this next season and if things don't go well there may be some bigger moves the next season to start a rebuild. Nino could easily be moved at that point for a good return.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
All career high totals for Duchene, Forsberg, and nino. i do expect similar totals again for jeannot, trenin, and Johansen.

Our even strength goals scored leaders in the past 4 years before the one we are referring too. Jarnkrok/Kunin (whipping boys), bonino, arvy, and arvy.

I just don’t have a lot of confidence some of the career years we saw this past season can be duplicated. If they are, Hynes is a better coach than I give him credit for. Tolvanen and Tomasino making a leap this coming year would be huge obviously.

They don't need their career levels for this top six to be productive. Duchene has three 20+ ES goal seasons, another three in the 18-19 range, two in the 14-15 range. The anomalous seasons were his disappearing act when first getting to Nashville.

Forsberg with four 20+ ES goal seasons plus another at 19. Nino with five seasons of 17+ ES goals with his best last season at 20.

Arvy's two ES goal leading seasons were 29 and 23 goal performances .... not slumming. The Jarnkrok/Kunin leading the team in ES goals was the 56 game COVID season where we only played in the re-aligned divisions, most of the forwards missed 10+ games (Forsberg with 39GP, Kunin with 38, Grimaldi with 40) and everything was weird.

The issue now becomes the top nine structure. Figure Johansen, Granlund, Sissons down the middle ... Forsberg and Duchene likely the top line wingers. Niederreiter, Trenin, Tomasino, and Jeannot on the wings on paper for now .. with Glass, Tolvanen, McCarron, Sanford fighting for spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad