Player Discussion Nino "El Nino" Niederreiter II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Any Pominville resurgence after his fine first year here usually coincided with being put on a line with Nino.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I wouldn't say great article. Author made it seem like Nino's trouble in his rookie year was attributed to him and not being put on the 4th line for single digit minutes and horrible situations.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Why the Wild invested so heavily in Nino Niederreiter

Here are a few more amazing stat lines. The only player that played a full season with Niederreiter and had a Corsi For greater than 50 percent without Niederreiter was Jason Pominville, who was traded to the Buffalo Sabres in June.

No player that played at least 100 minutes with Niederreiter had a Corsi For of less than 50 percent. No player that played at least 100 minutes with Niederreiter had less than 54 percent Goals For. Possession impact doesn't get much better than that.

The rise of Niederreiter is pretty astounding. He did all this despite ranking sixth among Wild forward,s and 123rd among NHL forwards, in even-strength ice time (1,071 minutes, 16 seconds).

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

Just read that article and came to post it, very interesting read from Derek Peterson.

This passage also stuck out to me.

Most impressive, Niederreiter ranked sixth among forwards in ice time at 5-on-5 (1,047 minutes, 49 seconds) last season for the Wild.

To better compare his scoring production, his point production can be converted to a rate per 60 minutes of ice time. This equalizes everyone's scoring and making it easier to compare across players with different levels of playing time. As you can see, only five players in the NHL contributed at a higher rate. Of these top 10 players, only Niederreiter and Connor McDavid had a relatively normal shooting percentage (a measure that can generally predict whether a trend is likely to continue or not). Niederreiter was at 10.88 percent, McDavid at 10.99 percent.

So he did this with a sustainable shooting percentage. I wonder if he'll start getting more PP time? He was 9th on the team on PP TOI last season. What do we think his actual ceiling is? Getting him a bit more ice time and him hitting 30 goals would be excellent.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think his production would climb a bit, but I don't think it's as simple as saying that he will stay the same player, with the same impact, in more time on ice (fatigue) and with different tiers of opponents matching up against him. It is a great article though, and I think Derek did a great job explaining how some of the advanced stats work for those who are novices to it. Nino's the kind of player that you give a bigger opportunity to until his impact starts to decline, because he's clearly capable of being one of the best players in the league at his current role. See how far he can climb! Give him some rope.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think his production would climb a bit, but I don't think it's as simple as saying that he will stay the same player, with the same impact, in more time on ice (fatigue) and with different tiers of opponents matching up against him. It is a great article though, and I think Derek did a great job explaining how some of the advanced stats work for those who are novices to it. Nino's the kind of player that you give a bigger opportunity to until his impact starts to decline, because he's clearly capable of being one of the best players in the league at his current role. See how far he can climb! Give him some rope.

That was my only problem with his article. He just assumed equal increase in production with more ice time, like it's automatic because of the numbers.

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
Nino's hot! Goal streak continued with two goals last night. Glad to see him back in that shape.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I dont think it is a stretch to say that the Wild now are going to live or die on the backs of Nino, Granlund, Coyle, and Zucker. If those 4 can take the next step and become stars, the Wild might be something. If not, this team isnt going anywhere.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Not only is it not a stretch to say, it's just the truth plain and simple.

Those four guys, as forwards, and that's excluding any defense we have their age, HAVE to carry the Wild.

We need someone to throw us a bone too. Like Kaprizov suddenly coming over and lighting it up. Or JEE or Kunin jumping up into the lineup and playing big, well this would seriously bolster the team.

This team needs something to seriously OCCUR. It needs someone to make a big SPLASH. Example: TBL. Yeah ok they have always had Stammer. OK.

But LOOK at some of those guys they have and you cannot tell me that they have seriously had a few good splashes happen Kuch, Namesty, they traded for Serg, and they happened to pick Hedman 2nd OA.

We traded for Nino and have a solid young core, but we need someone like a Kucherov to arise amidst players who are working their a**es off to just float enough to make it to the first round of the playoffs.

Our vets are playing decent- actually Koivu is better than I thought he'd be still, and we are lucky to have a gracefully aging Staal. But they are on their way out.

Reactions: FVM

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think we are forgetting how much of a hit it is that Parise is contributing nothing, while eating up 7.5M of cap every year.

Reactions: FVM

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I dont think it is a stretch to say that the Wild now are going to live or die on the backs of Nino, Granlund, Coyle, and Zucker. If those 4 can take the next step and become stars, the Wild might be something. If not, this team isnt going anywhere.
Well they have and there not really getting any help at all.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
He's such a possession monster. Was already last year but this season even more.
62.5 CF% is crazy, relatively seen it's 2nd in the league.
He leads the Wild in all on-ice categories, for example 22 goals/11 goals against. He also has drawn a team leading 8 penalties.

I really think he has taken the mentioned 'next-step' already and is on his way to one of many 30+30 seasons

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I've been listening to away market feeds recently and I keep hearing announcers talk about Nino as being "streaky." Anybody else echo that sentiment? I guess I can see it from a scoring standpoint, but he does so many other things well.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I've been listening to away market feeds recently and I keep hearing announcers talk about Nino as being "streaky." Anybody else echo that sentiment? I guess I can see it from a scoring standpoint, but he does so many other things well.
No not at all.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Overall I'd say he and Staal are the most consistent forwards on the team at this point.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Most players are like that. He did have a ~15 game stretch near the end of the season where he only put up 3a and no goals. He's adding a lot more assists to his 20g+ as he matures.

Goals tend to come in bunches or not at all. Look at Parise in 15-16: 25g, but he had 3 hat tricks that year.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Actually, yes, 100% in previous years. He'd have dominant stretches and then just disappear for like 15 games. This year, and most of last year, he has indeed been one of the most consistent forwards on the team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I keep hearing he is a great defensive player, but I don't see it. Don't get me wrong, I love having his scoring touch, size, and feistiness on the team, but he can be a bit careless with the puck leaving the zone. Nothing terrible, but it's there. Also, for a guy who is supposedly a great all round player he sure doesn't get comeasurate TOI. Maybe the coaches have the same reservations i do about some of his play?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I keep hearing he is a great defensive player, but I don't see it. Don't get me wrong, I love having his scoring touch, size, and feistiness on the team, but he can be a bit careless with the puck leaving the zone. Nothing terrible, but it's there. Also, for a guy who is supposedly a great all round player he sure doesn't get comeasurate TOI. Maybe the coaches have the same reservations i do about some of his play?
I guess I haven't noticed him being appreciably worse in his own end than most of the other forwards, but I haven't been looking for it either. And I don't think I'd call him a great defensive player; he's an okay defensive player and a great possession player. His biggest contribution to defense is keeping the puck in the offensive zone.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
He's had some egregious turnovers in the d-zone this year leading directly to goals. It's a little odd as I've never noticed those awful turnovers consistently in previous years, but he had a stretch earlier in the year where he was turning them over left and right. I haven't noticed any lately, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad