Speculation: Nineteen Teams w/ 25 Scouts at PHI-WAS game

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Just 10 days ago, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman brought both teams up on an episode of the 32 Thoughts Podcast and said that the Capitals have been “around” the Blue Jackets in terms of scouting potential trade targets. Nothing else concrete has been reported since but it seems clear both teams are watching each other.

Just a couple of days before Friedman’s report, the Columbus Dispatch’s Brian Hedger revealed that the Blue Jackets had personnel at each and every stop of the Capitals’ recent, six-game western road trip. At the time, Columbus had a handful of forwards in the news.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
but he is. you play him up the lineup, and he produces. how hard would it to be to give Laughton better linemates than he gets in Philly?

Any team that can play Laughton further up in their lineup than the Flyers currently do (he's playing 3C right now) is likely not one that is going to be trading its first round pick for a guy like him...?

I'd be glad if they could get a great return for him still, and they will get a solid one no matter what if they decide to move him. I'm just thinking the shot to truly cash in has probably passed.

Last edited:

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Any team that can play Laughton further up in their lineup than the Flyers currently do (he's playing 3C right now) is likely not one that is going to be trading its first round pick a guy like him...?

I'd be glad if they could get a great return for him still, and they will get a solid one no matter what if they decide to move him. I'm just thinking the shot to truly cash in has probably passed.
100% agreed. Peak Laughton trade time is perhaps past given last season. But the player has enduring value, for all the right reasons. For clubs acquiring him, and for the Flyers. The most straightforward positive asset move of all the possible asset moves for the Flyers.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
but he is. you play him up the lineup, and he produces. how hard would it to be to give Laughton better linemates than he gets in Philly?
Laughton had fantastic chemistry with Hayes. Yeah its weird like saying Bob and Doug Mackenzie have great chemistry together. And Laughton is a better 3lw than 3c. So I see the argument with better linemates Laughton will be better. I don't disagree.

The problem is the value could have come last year and I doubt it this year. Could change in next 25 games. We shall see.

GIF warner archive, bob and doug mackenzie, strange brew, best animated GIFs chin up, free download

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Briere actually gonna manage to to pump Ristolainen's tires enough to move him (and that contract)?

Or is this more about their extensive collection of assorted wingers? Or Morgan Frost probably? Maybe Couturier if someone wants to go wild? Laughton and Konecny are the obvious sort of "deadline adds" that teams probably want a really good read on before they move on the price they'll command.

Even with bringing Bear in for a couple years, i'm not seeing a lot that would make sense for the Caps to be "shopping" in their current situation. Unless they're going to make some sort of big swing or something. Or if someone actually things they can get something useful out of Mantha.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Briere actually gonna manage to to pump Ristolainen's tires enough to move him (and that contract)?

Or is this more about their extensive collection of assorted wingers? Or Morgan Frost probably? Maybe Couturier if someone wants to go wild? Laughton and Konecny are the obvious sort of "deadline adds" that teams probably want a really good read on before they move on the price they'll command.

Even with bringing Bear in for a couple years, i'm not seeing a lot that would make sense for the Caps to be "shopping" in their current situation. Unless they're going to make some sort of big swing or something. Or if someone actually things they can get something useful out of Mantha.
Lets not bundle Laughton and Konecny as obvious tdl adds. Konecny is other level. Last 5 years he has been a 70 pts player. Available year in year out and not on some pace calculation crap. He is not going anywhere And gonna benefit from arrivals of Gauthier and Michkov.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lets not bundle Laughton and Konecny as obvious tdl adds. Konecny is other level. Last 5 years he has been a 70 pts player. Available year in year out and not on some pace calculation crap. He is not going anywhere And gonna benefit from arrivals of Gauthier and Michkov.

I mean...Philly are gonna have to make a call on Konecny at some point. I can understand why they'd want to just keep him. But he's only got one more year left on his deal after this, then UFA @ 28 years old. You're talking about a substantial, probably "retirement contract" for him if you want to it bridge across through the arrival of Michkov. Have to ask questions about how his play style is going to hold up at his size into and through his 30s, because that's what the contract will be.

I can see the argument either way. The sort of player you want to keep through that, but the contract situation makes it more complicated. As does the fact that he'd command an absolute haul as a trade bait.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
This is more likely to be a capitals trade then a flyers trade because the caps have way too many defenders now and no one is waiver eligible
I think there are a handful of teams that need a d-man and the Caps are looking for a top 6 forward. Caps also have a lot of depth in goaltending, as Kuemper could be available since Lindgren is stealing the #1 job from him. With good to great goalie prospects in Shepard, Gibson and Stevenson(has a good chance of being the Caps long term #1), the Caps could be gearing up for a trade. Specifically, maybe a goalie + d-man + pick or prospect for a top 6 forward? Kuzy might be on the market, but not out loud and Mantha is in a contract year with his offense picking up, so he might have some interest.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think there are a handful of teams that need a d-man and the Caps are looking for a top 6 forward. Caps also have a lot of depth in goaltending, as Kuemper could be available since Lindgren is stealing the #1 job from him. With good to great goalie prospects in Shepard, Gibson and Stevenson(has a good chance of being the Caps long term #1), the Caps could be gearing up for a trade. Specifically, maybe a goalie + d-man + pick or prospect for a top 6 forward? Kuzy might be on the market, but not out loud and Mantha is in a contract year with his offense picking up, so he might have some interest.

Ok but that doesn’t explain the Ducks or the Bruins GMs being there.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad