Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
shattenkirk-ej trade
halak
dagastini
jbo
dumping brad boyes and his contract
getting rid of human cone brewer

im sure there are many others, those are the ones off the top of my head. the armstrong haters wont mention any of those though, doesnt fit their narrative.

Halak was not a good trade.

Dags, Boyes and Brewer were solid, but "great"? Yeah, not so much.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

Trading for Halak from Montreal was a good trade. When the best player the Blues gave up in the deal turned out to be a #3 Center, I don't see how it can't be viewed as anything other than a W.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

We gave up Lars Eller and a 4th line prospect, how was that not a good trade for a starting goaltender who had led his team to the eastern conference finals?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol. "Armstrong has made lots of great trades!"

*Names one that happened within the last 5 years*

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
shattenkirk-ej trade
halak
dagastini
jbo
dumping brad boyes and his contract
getting rid of human cone brewer

im sure there are many others, those are the ones off the top of my head. the armstrong haters wont mention any of those though, doesnt fit their narrative.

Is it weird that the last one on your list was Bouwmeester in 2013? Seems like its been a while...

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
The EJ trade was a joke compared to what we could have done with a #1 center instead of Stewart and Shattenkirk, no matter how great Shattenkirk turned out to be at his role. We had one chance to redeem ourselves for not taking Toews or Backstrom.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The EJ trade was a joke compared to what we could have done with a #1 center instead of Stewart and Shattenkirk, no matter how great Shattenkirk turned out to be at his role. We had one chance to redeem ourselves for not taking Toews or Backstrom.

Come on. If EJ had that kind of value we wouldn't have been trading him in the first place.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Come on. If EJ had that kind of value we wouldn't have been trading him in the first place.
Why not? We had Pietrangelo.

Obviously there's no guarantee we could have gotten it, and I even liked the trade at the time, but I have questioned whether targeting another defenseman and a winger was the best use of his trade value. It's definitely a point to consider.

All of Armstrong's good trades aside from Bouwmeester came from 5 years ago. I don't get why anyone is content with that (not saying you are).

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The future saved

giphy.gif

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I would rather have EJ right now than Shattenkirk, Just sayin' ...

I think a lot of Blues fans let their immediate judgements cloud their views on that trade.

Stewart was a bust, and we gave up the higher pick. We think that Shattenkirk fits our team better, but we haven't really done anything in the playoffs with him until this year. I don't want to give Parayko too much credit for this year, he definitely slowed down in the playoffs, but it was a factor.

Shattenkirk is better in his role than EJ. But I do wonder if the team would have done better with 2 more traditional #1 type defensemen over the past 5 years.

Ignoring the current Shattenkirk contract situation, I certainly don't count that trade as a win. Certainly wasn't a terrible trade, but it is at best lateral.

Another factor when it came to trading EJ was our projection of Berglund. The organisation still believed he was going to be at least a very good #2C at that point. Had we not thought that, we might have been looking for a different return.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I know, the return is fine and it doesn't matter. But given how little he played, it was pointless in the first place.

Hopefully Husso can get to the AHL quickly with his play.

Oplika is our future starter.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
The Gunner trade was a win and is more recent:

Polak for Gunner and Husso, that's an easy win.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Imagine if we had traded EJ for Duchene. At the time, the Avs had ROR and Stastny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad