Nils Lundkvist vs. Rasmus Sandin vs. Alexander Alexeyev vs. Bode Wilde

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Those are four players I really like too, but my mind is better on how they compare themselves to those in my OP. Alexeyev, Lundkvist and Sandin on the other hand are much harder to separate, Wilde being the wild card.

Fair enough.
To answer the OP
Alexeyev
Lindquist
Sandin
Wilde

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Any reason why you chose Wilde over the 4 other D men drafted between him and Alexeyev?

Samuelsson
McIsaac
Woo
Romanov

Were all taken before Wilde
I would take all of those defensemen over Wilde and a handful more. Romanov is a player I am highly interested in.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Here’s a detailed evaluation of Sandin’s game. Mike Farkas, the analyst is not a Leafs’ fan.

Reactions: AppsSyl

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Alexyev- Best physical tools/upside.

Sandin- Lowest upside offensively.....very high hockey IQ and a good stick. I wasn't a huge fan of the pick due to his lack of dynamic ability/explosiveness and because I've seen him get manhandled in front of the net, or with any player that picks up speed on him....and because I think that problem will become bigger in the NHL if his lower body strength doesn't improve profoundly. With all that said, if his hockey IQ translates, he will end up as a very good pick as he is probably the smartest defender in the draft in terms of closing gaps, reading/evading pressure through 200 feet of ice (actually before the draft, I posted that he reminded me of a smarter Carrick- right down to the problem of getting manhandled semi-regularly). The problem is these type of players, with just good (and not great tools) are very hard to project entering the next level purely on hockey smarts alone.

Lundqvist

Wilde

For me, that was my list before the draft, and have been pretty consistent most of the year that I wasn't too high on Wilde. I think he has tools that are a bit overstated, to begin with, and his hockey IQ and reads are as questionable as any D prospect that was considered a 1st rounder (yes, I know he wasn't drafted in the 1st)...despite a lot of the USNTDP games looking like a pond-hockey game. Still, at his slot, he was good to take a flyer on IMO.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I had them ranked:

20. Lundkvist
21. Sandin
24. Wilde
32. Alexeyev

No reason to change that yet.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I had them ranked like this:
#18. Nils Lundkvist
#20. Rasmus Sandin
#36. Bode Wilde
#42. Alexander Alexeyev

Wilde probably has the highest upside but i think he has a very slim chance to reach his upside because i think his hockey IQ is really low.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
In terms of odds of reaching full potential I'd say Alexeyev is the safest pick with NHL size who has a decent chance at working the point on the PP at the next level. Sandin has the highest hockey IQ and if he adds muscle is a strong bet as a two way force.

Lundqvist is difficult to assess because of a smaller sample size but generally his offensive numbers are fairly pedestrian and Wilde has the aforementioned tool box but low hockey IQ.

My rankings would be

-Alexeyev
-Sandin
-Lundqvist
-Wilde

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I had them ranked like this:
#18. Nils Lundkvist
#20. Rasmus Sandin
#36. Bode Wilde
#42. Alexander Alexeyev

Wilde probably has the highest upside but i think he has a very slim chance to reach his upside because i think his hockey IQ is really low.
Any reason you have Alexeyev so low considering he’s got a safe NHL frame and potential to be a top 4 defenseman?

Reactions: Ana Crusis

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Before the draft, meaning no bias at all, I had them ranked:

Alexyev
Sandin
Wilde
Lundkvist

I still wanted the leafs to go for Sandin though just cause he was a favourite of mine

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Any reason you have Alexeyev so low considering he’s got a safe NHL frame and potential to be a top 4 defenseman?

Lack of offensive upside imo.

FWIW i had him higher then Samuelsson, the only "defensive" D-man ahead of him was Fehérváry on my list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad