Nils Lundkvist vs. Rasmus Sandin vs. Alexander Alexeyev vs. Bode Wilde

Rass

Apr 7, 2006
rhlsim.tripod.com
Curious to know what you think of these defensemen taken late in the first round, early second rond. I know their strenghts and flaws, saw them quite a bit but can't separate them that much. Not saying they are in the same mold at all.

Who do you see having the best NHL career, as opposed to the one having the most fantasy value?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Alexeyev was 10th on my list, he has all the tools to be something great. Was ranked lower due to injury, WSH lucked out there.

Lunkvist was 14th on my list, mainly because of his smarts and positioning. Good wheels too, not much of a shot though.

Wilde was 26th on my list, great tools, elite tools I should say, his reads are bad and his risk is bad, he can be a shutdown D if he concentrates on it, but hes a volatile player. Looked great in his D-1, looked bad in his d year, but no USDP D looked good.

Sandin was 43th in my rankings... hes fine, hes a toned down version of Lundkvist, similar tools but even less offensive upside.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wilde was 26th on my list, great tools, elite tools I should say, his reads are bad and his risk is bad, he can be a shutdown D if he concentrates on it, but hes a volatile player. Looked great in his D-1, looked bad in his d year, but no USDP D looked good.

I thought he had a very good season. Its just that all anyone remembers is the one tournament that is televised across the major hockey networks around the world.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I thought he had a very good season. Its just that all anyone remembers is the one tournament that is televised across the major hockey networks around the world.
Yeah, he did better than what people say but I still expected a bit better, anyhow, 26 isnt too far down on my list. He had to drop a bit due to his play.... hes a player I loved for the first half of the year then soured upon a bit. Going that late was a shocker for me.

Reactions: Lays

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Lundkvist
Alexeyev
Wilde
Sandin

My personal view is that Lundkvist's hockey IQ is far superior to everyone else other than Alexeyev (who has an equivalent defensive IQ but a lesser offensive IQ)
I think Wilde and Sandin are both very marginal NHL players (at the current time) due to a significantly lesser hockey IQ
No question that Wilde has the best physical toolkit followed by Alexeyev but Wilde also has the lowest floor to go along with it
Lundkvist's overall game reminds me a lot of Cam Fowler, he's the youngest of the bunch and will need a full three years (or more) to be NHL ready

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lundkvist
Alexeyev
Wilde
Sandin

My personal view is that Lundkvist's hockey IQ is far superior to everyone else other than Alexeyev (who has an equivalent defensive IQ but a lesser offensive IQ)
I think Wilde and Sandin are both very marginal NHL players (at the current time) due to a significantly lesser hockey IQ
No question that Wilde has the best physical toolkit followed by Alexeyev but Wilde also has the lowest floor to go along with it
Lundkvist's overall game reminds me a lot of Cam Fowler, he's the youngest of the bunch and will need a full three years (or more) to be NHL ready
Im not sure Bode has a better tool kit than AlexAlex. He can literally do anything you want, plus that big frame, wish my team grabbed him.

Hes so good, I wouldnt even have minded the Habs snagging him with their first. Thats how good he is.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Lundkvist is probably the best of those players rn, but Sandin and Alexeyev have the most offensive potential. I'll go:

Lundkvist
Alexyeyev
Sandin

Wilde

Reactions: Habs76

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lundkvist
Alexeyev
Wilde
Sandin

are you thinking of a different Sandin?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I was ridiculously high on Sandin and high on Wilde.

If Wilde can get the necessary coaching and development he can become a monster.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Alexeyev was 10th on my list, he has all the tools to be something great. Was ranked lower due to injury, WSH lucked out there.

Im not sure Bode has a better tool kit than AlexAlex. He can literally do anything you want, plus that big frame, wish my team grabbed him. Hes so good, I wouldnt even have minded the Habs snagging him with their first. Thats how good he is.

I totally agree. In a year where there wasn't an in-vogue trend of smaller high skilled defenseman, AA would have gone top 15. A big guy who can move like he does, that has such great defensive chops as a 17-year-old and doesn't make mistakes, with unmistakable offensive upside and some dangle is extremely valuable. He's a very projectable player and a guy who's shown a great work ethic. Plus the ability to deal with immense personal difficulties, as well as his injuries, what's not to love? Washington is a great place for him to develop, they won't rush him. But I wouldn't be that surprised if he ended up having a long look at camp and sniffing the NHL roster right off the bat. He's just that kind of player that you can see making the jump.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I totally agree. In a year where there wasn't an in-vogue trend of smaller high skilled defenseman, AA would have gone top 15. A big guy who can move like he does, that has such great defensive chops as a 17-year-old and doesn't make mistakes, with unmistakable offensive upside and some dangle is extremely valuable. He's a very projectable player and a guy who's shown a great work ethic. Plus the ability to deal with immense personal difficulties, as well as his injuries, what's not to love? Washington is a great place for him to develop, they won't rush him. But I wouldn't be that surprised if he ended up having a long look at camp and sniffing the NHL roster right off the bat. He's just that kind of player that you can see making the jump.
I think ultimately he goes back to the dub and becomes a force on the back end, producing big numbers. Some will bite their fingers IMO.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This is how I had them ranked going into the draft, but at this point it's anybody's game.
Predictions are so not predictive to begin with, and then factor in any unforeseen injuries, and the fact that they will all be developing with different teams and in different systems, everybody's opinion is as valid as the next

Bode Wilde
Rasmus Sandin
Alexander Alexeyev
Nils Lundkvist

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Any reason why you chose Wilde over the 4 other D men drafted between him and Alexeyev?

Samuelsson
McIsaac
Woo
Romanov

Were all taken before Wilde

Reactions: uncleben

Rass

Apr 7, 2006
rhlsim.tripod.com
Any reason why you chose Wilde over the 4 other D men drafted between him and Alexeyev?

Samuelsson
McIsaac
Woo
Romanov

Were all taken before Wilde
Those are four players I really like too, but my mind is better on how they compare themselves to those in my OP. Alexeyev, Lundkvist and Sandin on the other hand are much harder to separate, Wilde being the wild card.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad