Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
AK has said he likes NL's upside as much as any Ranger D prospect. But, given Steve K's thoughts on Robertson, I cringe whenever I see people put him in a trade proposal.

I don't know shit about shit but does Robertson have the offensive upside to be our highest upside defensive prospect?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My next favorite HF meme

giphy.gif

source.gif

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As far as our defense prospects we just have to sit back and watch. Fox looks great. Hajek is doing fairly well for a rookie defenseman and I really like Lindgren. His play with the puck has improved a lot and he's really good defensively and he's got attitude.

.....and after that it's Miller, Lundkvist, Robertson, Reunanen, Rykov, Jones and Keane who all look to me like they're going to be good NHL players. And still there is Skinner, Ragnarsson, Gross who I wouldn't count out either. Some will tell you you can't hit on all your prospects but so far we're hitting on the first three up in Fox, Hajek and Lindgren. It looks to me that we're going to have an awesome defense two, three, four years from now.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How does he compare to Boqvist now?

Boqvist's bread and butter will always be his offense and if both players continue to progress, he will continue to have another level above what Lundkvist is expected to possess.

Having said that, I've always felt Lundkvist wasn't as far behind a guy like Boqvist as some believed --- it was more a matter that he wasn't as far along, more pieces needed to come together, and those first two points were likely going to require a little more time.

Lundkvist has the potential to put up some solid offensive numbers. I don't think they'll be league-leading, or even team-leading numbers, but his offensive abilities have always been underrated IMO.

The challenge for the Rangers will be sorting out who they want to keep long-term between ADA, Fox and Lundkvist. Each of them strikes me more as a guy who probably comes out on the second pair (though as Steven said, really more of a #2 or #3 type). Each has certain strengths and weaknesses, with a certain degree of overlap. One can certainly play above his competition on the third pair someday, but at some point, it's likely that someone is getting moved in the next 12-24 months.

However, I would fully expect that if things keep going the way they're going, the potential return (or at least the cost savings for the Rangers) could see a substantial swing. That's a good thing --- and speaks to the ability to trade from a position of strength when the right opportunity presents itself.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Sweden’s Defense
Sweden’s blue line was always going to be a bit of a logjam, barring significant injuries or both Rasmus Sandin (Toronto) and Adam Boqvist (Chicago) getting recalled. As returning members, if both are available, they are locks. With his performances in the U18 worlds, the Summer Showcase, NHL camp and the AHL season, I will call Tobias Bjornfot (Los Angeles) a lock. Philip Broberg (Edmonton) was excellent for Sweden last season, played on the World Junior team and was leaned on at both the summer and November U20 Four Nations. Even if his SHL season has been just ok, I’m calling him a lock. Nils Lundkvist (New York Rangers) has had an awesome season and is also a returning member. I think he’s a lock.

That leaves one spot on the third-pair right side. That one spot has numerous candidates. Victor Soderstrom (Arizona) seems like the best option, but there is also a returning member from last year’s team in Adam Ginning (Philadelphia), a first-round pick in Filip Johansson (Minnesota) and Mattias Nordliner (Montreal) available. If Sweden wants a right-handed shot, then Simon Lundmark (Winnipeg) could be in the mix too. If I was betting, I would say Soderstrom is the sixth and Ginning the seventh, but it’s not a guarantee. Soderstrom has been injured of late and has played little international hockey in the past two years, so I could see a player like Ginning getting the edge.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Lundkvist was easily the best D-man at the two u20 tournaments they played. The kid is among the best D-men in the SHL this season as a teenager. Unless Boqvist gets put ahead of him (not unlikely, but certainly not a sure thing either) Lundkvist will be the top-pair RHD

Reactions: Rongomania

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Leads the SHL in points by an u24 player with 15, as a 19-year old defenseman.

On pace for 32 points with 25 games remaining (assuming he misses 6 games due to the WJC). The record by a teenage defenseman in the SHL is 24. That's crazy!
Could be added that Lulea is a low scoring team in general with a mediocre PP, not many easy assists to pick up there.

Got loads of positive feedback last night during a live interview with Timo Jutila (Timo Jutila at eliteprospects.com) who was at the game: "Lundkvist is really, really good". If you impress Jutila you're defintely doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad