Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Right or wrong in today's NHL size still is a factor. Unless you've got unbelievable Johnny or Patty Kane skills! Ehlers doesn't have them!

I don't disagree with that, but he probably isn't going to get much bigger. He'll just have to figure it out with the body he has

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Right or wrong in today's NHL size still is a factor. Unless you've got unbelievable Johnny hockey or Patty Kane skills! Ehlers doesn't have them!

I definitely don't think he has Kane skills but I don't think he is far after Johnny Hockey skill wise. Biggest difference is that Johnny Hockey is a lock on the best line every night. For the short time Ehlers played with the best last year he put up plenty of points.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Right or wrong in today's NHL size still is a factor. Unless you've got unbelievable Johnny hockey or Patty Kane skills! Ehlers doesn't have them!

It seems to be a factor of whether or not you play in the NHL but it seems to have no relevance on the performance of players... *at least as a statistical variable*.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Opposition teams have adjusted for Ehlers, his lack of size is his biggest problem!

Sorry but Nik's size is zero problem and you know why, because there is no problem with Ehlers right now. He is amazing and will continue to be a godsend. Forwards go through ebbs and flows scoring wise and Nik is no different.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Sorry but Nik's size is zero problem and you know why, because there is no problem with Ehlers right now. He is amazing and will continue to be a godsend. Forwards go through ebbs and flows scoring wise and Nik is no different.
I agree, its not really a problem. But I believe hes trying to gain muscles in the right way, theres special programmes, but cant force it or it will slow him down. Another thing would be using that extra strength, his game is centered around his speed

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
How many shots on goal did Nikolaj have at this point last year and how many does he have now in comparison, relative to icetime?

i have the feeling that he doesnt seek his own scoring chance enough

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Someone put up another poll on the main board between Nylander and Ehlers:shakehead

They always get my blood boiling. Can't we just celebrate two very good young players!
Every fan base is always going to prefer their guy when compared to someone at a similar level.

And every Dane (me) is always going to pick Ehlers over basically anyone else:laugh:

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Ehlers first 7 games last year
Icetime per game 15:21
Total pp minutes 13:04

SoG 25, 2g, 3a

Ehlers first 7 games this year
Icetime per game 17:23
total pp minutes 24:33

SoG 14, 1g ,2a

I absolutely love Ehlers as a player, but I find these stats a little bit alarming - just a little bit :)

Huge difference in PP minutes and 2 minutes more on ice per game. I know he played a sheltered role last year at this point but he should also be much better this year compared to last year.

11 shots on goal less than last year ??! Only 2 shots on goal a game with 24:33 minutes on PP in total??

How do you look at this?

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg

SoG 25, 2g, 3a

SoG 14, 1g ,2a

I absolutely love Ehlers as a player, but I find these stats a little bit alarming - just a little bit :)

Huge difference in PP minutes and 2 minutes more on ice per game. I know he played a sheltered role last year at this point but he should also be much better this year compared to last year.

11 shots on goal less than last year ??! Only 2 shots on goal a game with 24:33 minutes on PP in total??

How do you look at this?
I might be totally off base here, but I actually view this as maturation - in a player's first year they might be trying to do too much themselves, thus not using the players around them, or shooting from bad angles. I know you've got to give players time to get used to the speed of the NHL, but I was a little worried about Nik last year, thought we might be rushing him a bit. Ever since this preseason it seems like he's been skating much more confidently, and his "hockey IQ" is some of the highest I've seen. He's dishing incredible passes left, right and centre, while I thought of him mainly as a shooter.

All in all I'm incredibly comfortable with him on the ice, and am very impressed with how his game has matured.

Numbers aside, this is just my eye test and gut feeling.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He looks like he should have more pts.

With regards to the Nylander vs Ehlers, im afraid they (Nylander fanboys) have more to cheer about atm.
And if we look purely at now, Nylander is the more complete better player.

Something is missing from Ehlers game, because when I watch him play, he looks sooo good, but no pts too follow.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus

With regards to the Nylander vs Ehlers, im afraid they (Nylander fanboys) have more to cheer about atm.

Something is missing from Ehlers game, because when I watch him play, he looks sooo good, but no pts too follow.

This is exactly my feeling as well. If he had a lot of SoG every game - okay then I wouldn't be worried at all - but he hasn't

In Ehlers' 80 games carreer so far, he has 4 multi point games incl 1 multi goal game. In comparison Nylander has three multi point games the last ten days alone. He has one or more points in 36 out of 80 games. So more often than not he comes off the ice without points. He is still a kid tho, so obv not disastrous, but still makes me think that something is missing in his game. Selfishness perhaps

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
This is exactly my feeling as well. If he had a lot of SoG every game - okay then I wouldn't be worried at all - but he hasn't

In Ehlers' 80 games carreer so far, he has 4 multi point games incl 1 multi goal game. In comparison Nylander has three multi point games the last ten days alone. He has one or more points in 36 out of 80 games. So more often than not he comes off the ice without points. He is still a kid tho, so obv not disastrous, but still makes me think that something is missing in his game. Selfishness perhaps

Kid, definitely needs to be more selfish:nod:

Man, I had such high expectations for Ehlers this season..

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

SoG 25, 2g, 3a

SoG 14, 1g ,2a

How do you look at this?

That's interesting. Teams seem to be paying more attention to him and are dominating him physically, open ice is where he is most effective and he doesn't seem to be getting as much this season. In scrums and along the boards he's all but useless.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
He seems to take a lot of dumb penalties that are obvious calls...then whines and sulks that the penalties get called

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

If you're comparing him to Nylander, one thing that's obviously missing from his game is Auston Matthews. Say what you want about Perreault, he's no Matthews. Nobody on the Jets is. Things probably improve if we see Connor-Little-Ehlers. I will agree that he should shoot more.

boanst

May 25, 2013
Im not sure what reasoning there is to take much from a comparison of last year's stats to this year's stats. Ehlers was on fire last year to start off. Extrapolate those stats and you can see that he was on pace for nearly 60 points and 300 shots after 7 games last year.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Im not sure what reasoning there is to take much from a comparison of last year's stats to this year's stats. Ehlers was on fire last year to start off. Extrapolate those stats and you can see that he was on pace for nearly 60 points and 300 shots after 7 games last year.

Don't think Ehlers will be the 30 goal scorer that everyone envisioned, think his prime career average is 20 G, 20 assists which is still pretty good! Beside we already have our 40-60 goal scorer now!

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Nylander needs to be paired with Thorburn to develop his defensive side.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Don't think Ehlers will be the 30 goal scorer that everyone envisioned, think his prime career average is 20 G, 20 assists which is still pretty good! Beside we already have our 40-60 goal scorer now!

Then it is obvious that he will be a 30 goal scorer then. Thanks for the confirmation.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He most certainly is being played differently this year as teams have a lot of tape on him now. So teams are not allowing him to break to the net with speed and are essentially letting him skate around on the outside. This is all part of the being a 2nd year player, the league adapts to your ability and it's the up to you to find a way to continue to find ways to contribute.

I'm not worried about Ehlers, he's skilled and smart so he'll figure out different ways to put up points.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

You expect a setup guy to have a 1:1 goal-assist ratio?

20G, 30A is more realistic.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

I think he has been a bit unlucky. Has had plenty of good set-ups that teammates has missed.
I do agree with people saying that he needs to be a bit more selfish at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad