Nikolaj Ehlers - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I thought I heard Ehlers say in an interview a while back that he just signed with Halifax for 2 years and now his contract is up. Which is why Europe was an option for him.

Could he sign in Europe for his Dad's team and then be loaned to the jets under the IIHF transfer agreement? Then the Jets assign him to the AHL? That way he could get called up if there was an injury or he proved he was ready, etc.

I'm pretty sure this is the loophole their exploring. Without a pro team in Europe willing to play along this isn't an option, but when your Dad is the coach of a pro team in Europe....

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
It isn't the timing that is weird to me, it is the fact that the agent doesn't understand whether or not his client fit into a fairly simple rule and has admitted as much publicly.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

The above link gets pretty specific & for me it seems pretty cut & dry. He can't.

Then again I haven't read Ehler's contract where an apparent "loophole" may exist. He was drafted by the Jets while in the CHL, so unless something truly unique existed in his transfer agreement, he'd have to exploit that & begin his NHL career as someone who zero disregard for the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I thought I heard Ehlers say in an interview a while back that he just signed with Halifax for 2 years and now his contract is up. Which is why Europe was an option for him.

Could he sign in Europe for his Dad's team and then be loaned to the jets under the IIHF transfer agreement? Then the Jets assign him to the AHL? That way he could get called up if there was an injury or he proved he was ready, etc.

I'm pretty sure this is the loophole their exploring. Without a pro team in Europe willing to play along this isn't an option, but when your Dad is the coach of a pro team in Europe....

Term contracts are not a thing in CHL.

He can't sign in Europe he is signed in the NHL. The "loophole" you are saying doesn't exist. If a player is signed in NHL he can't be signed in Europe and NHL teams cannot accept loaned players. So neither side of that make sense.

He is always going to be subject to the CHL-NHL agreement with regards to AHL play unless he was in the Julius Honka exception. So far there is no indication he is. AHL play is out.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The vast majority of players who are covered by the CHL transfer agreement are north american born. Perhaps there is a unique situation that applies to Ehlers that hasn't happened yet. The one thing that perked my ears up was when Ehlers was quoted in the paper saying Halifax had released him from his contract (they still have his rights) I would think it would be quite rare for a 19 year old star players in the CHL to have that happen.

Yup, agreed. There seems to be something a little unusual going on. Ehlers seemed pretty confident that he could play in Europe if he doesn't make the Jets. Was his confidence based on anything solid? Halifax has gone ahead and filled their quota of import players. They seem to have no expectation that he could come back. Have the Jets negotiated something with them to loan him to a Euro team? Is that even possible?

The agreement between the NHL and CHL has been in place for ~45 years with (AFAIK) little change. You would think that any possible loopholes have been pretty well researched by now. OTOH, where there is smoke there is fire. It becomes moot if he makes the Jets out of TC.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Yup, agreed. There seems to be something a little unusual going on. Ehlers seemed pretty confident that he could play in Europe if he doesn't make the Jets. Was his confidence based on anything solid? Halifax has gone ahead and filled their quota of import players. They seem to have no expectation that he could come back. Have the Jets negotiated something with them to loan him to a Euro team? Is that even possible?

The agreement between the NHL and CHL has been in place for ~45 years with (AFAIK) little change. You would think that any possible loopholes have been pretty well researched by now. OTOH, where there is smoke there is fire. It becomes moot if he makes the Jets out of TC.

I believe, that as an international player, if he doesn't make the Jets, and is not under contract ("signed") by a junior team, he is eligible to go "sign" and play anywhere else that is not affiliated with the NHL (AHL or ECHL - age restriction).

That meaning, he could go to any european club and play on their main team or in their youth system.

I'm kind of speculating all of this based off of the reports I've heard and what I know first hand from how junior teams work locally.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

And yet a new loophole was found just last year (Julius Honka).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I believe, that as an international player, if he doesn't make the Jets, and is not under contract ("signed") by a junior team, he is eligible to go "sign" and play anywhere else that is not affiliated with the NHL (AHL or ECHL - age restriction).

That meaning, he could go to any european club and play on their main team or in their youth system.

I'm kind of speculating all of this based off of the reports I've heard and what I know first hand from how junior teams work locally.

This has happened in the past with unsigned drafted players (Reway, Kubalik, etc). The difference being in that Ehlers is signed and must be assigned by the Jets. So the question is whether he can be assigned to Europe by the Jets. In players not drafted out of CHL it's no problem to assign players to Europe (eg Esa Lindell). The question is whether the Jets must assign him to junior.

Hmmm, looking into this I think a precedent has already been set that this is possible. Nikolai Goldobin drafted out of Sarnia was assigned to HIFK (Sm-Liiga) at 19 rather than back to Sarnia.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It seems to me the situation is this:

Halifax could have played hardball and insisted that Ehlers come back to play with them if he doesn't make the Jets. That may not be in their long-term best interests however. They want to create an environment where top-tier European players want to come over and play with them. By playing hard with Ehlers perhaps that convinces the next kid to stay in Europe rather than come over to the CHL.

So, they voluntarily release him. Plus it's not just any team he wants to play with - he wants to play for a team that has his father as head coach.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It seems to me the situation is this:

Halifax could have played hardball and insisted that Ehlers come back to play with them if he doesn't make the Jets. That may not be in their long-term best interests however. They want to create an environment where top-tier European players want to come over and play with them. By playing hard with Ehlers perhaps that convinces the next kid to stay in Europe rather than come over to the CHL.

So, they voluntarily release him. Plus it's not just any team he wants to play with - he wants to play for a team that has his father as head coach.

I thought I read somewhere that Halifax already has its full complement of two imports (Meier and another player). I suppose they could fit Ehlers in by trading one of the others, but they certainly don't seem to expect Ehlers back.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
I thought I read somewhere that Halifax already has its full complement of two imports (Meier and another player). I suppose they could fit Ehlers in by trading one of the others, but they certainly don't seem to expect Ehlers back.

Yup: Timo Meier and Otto Somppi.

I think they were figuring there was no way Nik would be back.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
They actually can't trade Somppi cause your not allowed to trade an import for a year after drafting them. I think in the case that Ehlers ended up back in the Q after everything he'd probably be the one they looked to trade, since Halifax is in a bit more of a rebuild mode this season.

That's another reason the Q seems less likely to me actually, Ehlers seemed to be tied to Halifax specifically, lots of talk about not wanting to play anywhere else last year. I wouldn't claim to know any specifics but I really think his Q time is done.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
They actually can't trade Somppi cause your not allowed to trade an import for a year after drafting them. I think in the case that Ehlers ended up back in the Q after everything he'd probably be the one they looked to trade, since Halifax is in a bit more of a rebuild mode this season.

That's another reason the Q seems less likely to me actually, Ehlers seemed to be tied to Halifax specifically, lots of talk about not wanting to play anywhere else last year. I wouldn't claim to know any specifics but I really think his Q time is done.

both ehlers and meier are in their final true junior year. both will be in nhl/ahl next year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Plausible.

And yet a new loophole was found just last year (Julius Honka).

A lawyer can always find an argument. Thats why we always need more lawyers.

This has happened in the past with unsigned drafted players (Reway, Kubalik, etc). The difference being in that Ehlers is signed and must be assigned by the Jets. So the question is whether he can be assigned to Europe by the Jets. In players not drafted out of CHL it's no problem to assign players to Europe (eg Esa Lindell). The question is whether the Jets must assign him to junior.

Hmmm, looking into this I think a precedent has already been set that this is possible. Nikolai Goldobin drafted out of Sarnia was assigned to HIFK (Sm-Liiga) at 19 rather than back to Sarnia.

I think it would clearly be better for his development to play against men rather than go back to Halifax. Interesting to watch this unfold.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

PM that to his agent after negotiating a small royalty. I want 1% of whatever you get

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Plausible.

I think it would clearly be better for his development to play against men rather than go back to Halifax. Interesting to watch this unfold.

Yes, he needs to be playing against men. I believe players like Ehlers and Morrissey essentially lose a year of development going to the CHL as a 19/20 year old. With players like that, the skill is there, but they need to learn to play against bigger stronger players.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Who Will Ehlers Play With?

Hello Jets fans...

Just wondering if you could share your insights and projections for Ehlers....

Who has Ehlers been playing with in the pre-season?

What line is he expected to play on and how much power play time do you think he will get?

Thanks

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hello Jets fans...

What line is he expected to play on and how much power play time do you think he will get?

Thanks

My guess is that Ehlers will start on the 3rd line with Lowry and Perreault (or maybe Burmistrov). It might not be a high scoring line to begin. I expect that Ehlers will also get time with Scheifele, and they will score together. Ehlers will probably get some PP time, but only on the 2nd unit to begin.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hello Jets fans...

Thanks

Ehlers has been playing all over the place this Training Camp/Preseason but I think he has found some undeniable chemistry with Mark Scheifele. Not sure how Paul Maurice will use him but I assume it will be in the middle 6 somewhere, probably on the 2nd line with Perreault and Scheifele.
He will have to maintain some decent play to stay there though. As for PP time I'm not sure how much he will get if any this season. He could see some PP2 time. Hard to say at this point.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ehlers will probably play in all 3 top line given the situation and injuries that come up during the season.

For me IMO, Schiefele with either Perrault/Petan would be the best case scenario. Some chemistry already and it will be good for Scheifele, as he tends to elevate that much more if he looks upon to be the lead person.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Ehlers looked really comfortable with Scheif, I saw some of it in the Ottawa game last preseason too. Obviously Ehlers will need some time to adjust and that line will get better throughout the season. As most new young player to the league there will be inconsistency and Scheif is a good player but I still hope Paul will have som patience on those nights, I think that would be a pretty good investment

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad