Nikolaj Ehlers - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Continued from here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1799849

A few posts from last thread to get us going:

O'Dell was a year older, and the issue with O'Dell was more related to the lack of translatable skills. Armia's 0.76 points / game is nice production. Also, his coach spoke glowingly of him, and Chevy said his scouts were very high on him. Maybe "terrific" is too strong a word, but all signs point to him being ready to make the jump if he is given that champ and comes to camp in great shape and with a lot of intensity.

What? Goal scoring is not a translatable skill? :sarcasm:

I get that a direct comparison between the 2 would need to look at more than just scoring stats. I use O'Dell as a kind of benchmark for AHL scoring level needed to induce excitement. Just a reality check.

Agree with the bolded. He is on my list of most likely rookies. He is really the only one listed for both top 9 vacancy and 4th line. Both Ehlers and Petan could play 4th line in some much less likely scenarios so I don't have them on my expectations list for the 4th.

I just have to take exceptions to the enthusiasm for his play in Rochester last year. It is being overstated IMO due to enthusiasm for the Buffalo trade and old fashioned homerism. Coaches' comments and scouting reports get filed in the same bin as draft position. Always nice to see but those things don't actually play the game. It is 'show me' time for Armia.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I for one welcome our new overlord.

Nice one, Kent. Hopefully an inanimate carbon rod doesn't save those defenders.

Anyone here think Ehlers topping 50pts could be in the cards if he plays a full season in the top 6? I say he goes 0.7pts/gp if he gets over 13:00 atoi.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Praise be onto him. Between our dear Lord Ehlers and Christ Thorburn we are loading up on hockey messiahs.

2/3 of the trinity. If we could just get our hands on McJesus, we'd be blessed.

Anybody else really against this Switzerland stuff? Unless he's going to go play with Matthews under Crawford (and his ties to Lausanne and Bern mran he won't) I'd much rather he had Maurice teaching him the pro game.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
2/3 of the trinity. If we could just get our hands on McJesus, we'd be blessed.

Anybody else really against this Switzerland stuff? Unless he's going to go play with Matthews under Crawford (and his ties to Lausanne and Bern mran he won't) I'd much rather he had Maurice teaching him the pro game.

If he's not getting ice time with the Jets, where should he play then?

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
If he's not getting ice time with the Jets, where should he play then?

At the iceplex? I would rather see Ehlers get <10 mins and do the occasional pressbox stint, while having access to Maurice and our other coaches and trainers than having him in a lower league, being taught by a lesser caliber of coaches. IMHO, he's ready for the NHL. If the coaches decide he's not ready for a top line role day in day out, they can get him there by mid-season, I'm sure.

One game on the ice, lots of video review, practice with the team, watch the next game with a trainer from the pressbox to see how Mo's systems should be played. I have to think that would be better for his devlopment than Halifax or Switzerland. And if he's ready to play full time at some point in the year, it's as simple as scratching Peluso.

Drouin went through the same sort of process last season. I don't know how well it took, but Ehlers seems to be a really smart, really committed guy. I think he'd catch on pretty quick using a method like this one.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
One downside to that strategy is that it brings a lot of negative media and fan attention.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I think it's good for the Jets to be pro-active. They have a plan in place if Ehlers doesn't work out in the NHL this year. You don't want him sitting in the pressbox for a month. I personally believe he'll find his way on this team, but at least they have an option besides the pressbox if he doesn't

NBjet

May 24, 2014
It's not like Ehlers has to be better than Wheeler to make the roster, he has to be better than the likes of Halischuk...

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I think it's good for the Jets to be pro-active. They have a plan in place if Ehlers doesn't work out in the NHL this year. You don't want him sitting in the pressbox for a month. I personally believe he'll find his way on this team, but at least they have an option besides the pressbox if he doesn't

The thing about guys like Petan and Morrissey is we have the luxury of calling them up from the Moose when we feel they're ready, or sending them down if they're not. We can't do the same with Ehlers if he's anywhere but the pressbox.

If 20 games of his ELC are burned riding the pine, who does it hurt? Can we really expect him to learn so much more in 17 mins in Switzerland than he would in 8 mins with the Jets? If the Jets keep him in town, I'm sure he'll be 2nd line at worst by the end of the season.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The thing about guys like Petan and Morrissey is we have the luxury of calling them up from the Moose when we feel they're ready, or sending them down if they're not. We can't do the same with Ehlers if he's anywhere but the pressbox.

If 20 games of his ELC are burned riding the pine, who does it hurt? Can we really expect him to learn so much more in 17 mins in Switzerland than he would in 8 mins with the Jets? If the Jets keep him in town, I'm sure he'll be 2nd line at worst by the end of the season.

I'm pretty sure he could be recalled from europe if the Jets felt it was warranted.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
At the iceplex? I would rather see Ehlers get <10 mins and do the occasional pressbox stint, while having access to Maurice and our other coaches and trainers than having him in a lower league, being taught by a lesser caliber of coaches. IMHO, he's ready for the NHL. If the coaches decide he's not ready for a top line role day in day out, they can get him there by mid-season, I'm sure.

One game on the ice, lots of video review, practice with the team, watch the next game with a trainer from the pressbox to see how Mo's systems should be played. I have to think that would be better for his devlopment than Halifax or Switzerland. And if he's ready to play full time at some point in the year, it's as simple as scratching Peluso.

Drouin went through the same sort of process last season. I don't know how well it took, but Ehlers seems to be a really smart, really committed guy. I think he'd catch on pretty quick using a method like this one.

Drouin played 70 games last season averaging over 13 mins of ice time. Was also given the opportunity of playing with some of Tampa's top players. It wasn't until the playoffs that he found himself in the pressbox. Reports were the coach was concerned about is defensive play.

I'd be quite happy if Ehlers was given the same opportunity Drouin was in Tampa last season.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Players loaned to other leagues are ineligible for recall as far as I know. I'd have to check into that to be 100% though. And don't have time right now.

Didn't the Leafs do exactly that (recall) with Nylander last season? Then they sent him to the AHL.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Didn't the Leafs do exactly that (recall) with Nylander last season? Then they sent him to the AHL.

Not exactly, no. Nylander wasn't loaned to Modo. He was already playing there in his draft year. Toronto wouldn't have any way to force them to release him. Chances are there was a cash payment to convince Modo to give up a quality hockey player 21 games into their season.

From what I understand, if we determined that we wanted to send Ehlers to Switzerland this season, it would be at the sole discretion of that team to send him back to us before the season was over. So recalling Ehlers wouldn't be so simple. Even If we had a "take back clause" in the contract, and could call him back over whenever we like, he'd still need a few days for travel, visa processing, recovering from jetlag, and then he could start learning our systems.

I think in the end, this is all a moot point anyway. It seems to me that the 2/3RW spot is being held for Ehlers, and I don't expect him to screw it up.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I'd think jumping Drew Stafford on the depth chart would be pretty close to a best case scenario for a rookie year.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I'd think jumping Drew Stafford on the depth chart would be pretty close to a best case scenario for a rookie year.

Or Perreault (Ehlers can play LW too) for that matter, and yet I think it's coming. Stafford showed us a pretty weak defensive game last year, and I wouldn't want him on the 1st with Ladd's twice a game brain farts. He didn't do too well on Scheifele's wing, either. I'd like to see something like Burmi, Scheif, Ehlers and have Perreault, Lowry, Stafford together so Stafford doesn't burn us too often.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Or Perreault (Ehlers can play LW too) for that matter, and yet I think it's coming. Stafford showed us a pretty weak defensive game last year, and I wouldn't want him on the 1st with Ladd's twice a game brain farts. He didn't do too well on Scheifele's wing, either. I'd like to see something like Burmi, Scheif, Ehlers and have Perreault, Lowry, Stafford together so Stafford doesn't burn us too often.

I liked MP and Scheif together. Wouldn't Burmi . Lowry . Staff be even better? Perry might be just as good with Lowry but they were not particularly good together early last season. Of course they both improved later. They might be better together now.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I liked MP and Scheif together. Wouldn't Burmi . Lowry . Staff be even better? Perry might be just as good with Lowry but they were not particularly good together early last season. Of course they both improved later. They might be better together now.

MP is IMO the Jets 3rd best forward.

I don't want to see him on the 3rd line.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
MP is IMO the Jets 3rd best forward.

I don't want to see him on the 3rd line.

Yah to me the difference between Perrault and Stafford is...monumental.

I get the Swiss thing. I prefer it to him going to the Q but also feel he's probably ready.

I especially like it because it means to me it will be a straight up "who's better" contest for the roster spots between Armia Ehlers and Petan (as it should be). Felt there was an opportunity for favouritism of ehlers If the only other option was the Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad