Confirmed with Link: Nikolai Khabibulin returns to Hawks (1 yr deal)

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Surprisingly enough when I said keep it on topic I meant it. There are a half dozen threads where discussing Kruger and his worth are on topic.

The thread about signing a backup goalie isn't one of them.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Not a fan of this signing. I look at it this way. If Crawford were to get injured right at the start of the playoffs - what are the chances Khabi could play and remain healthy through 20+ games for a Cup run? I'd say the chances are close to zero that he could stay healthy that long.

He's been unable to stay healthy in his 4 years in Edmonton - which followed him going out in the detroit series while with the Hawks in 2009. They couldn't find better than this for 2 mil? Come on.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
I am okay with this signing, Khabby still has game, but yes his injury history is troubling, he can steal you a game, but definitly the chances of him playing 16 straight in a long playoff run is hard, but i think if most teams loses there bonafide no1 starting goalie, there backup will be hard pressed to do same. Its only one year contract so |I can live with it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Not a fan of this signing. I look at it this way. If Crawford were to get injured right at the start of the playoffs - what are the chances Khabi could play and remain healthy through 20+ games for a Cup run? I'd say the chances are close to zero that he could stay healthy that long.

He's been unable to stay healthy in his 4 years in Edmonton - which followed him going out in the detroit series while with the Hawks in 2009. They couldn't find better than this for 2 mil? Come on.

That's my thought process as well. I don't care for this move at all. I really didn't want to pay Raanta 1.4M to be a #2, especially during his first season in the States... but I'd probably prefer him and the extra $500-600K cap hit that comes with it, over Habby... and I like Habby. I just don't trust him to stay healthy, and godforbid Crow actually get injured, he isn't a guy that is going to be able to take the #1 job.

Khudobin and Greiss would have been the 2 guys I'd have gone after first. Would have also been happier with Theodore or Chris Mason. Oh well... not the end of the world, and we're honestly probably ****ed regardless of who the backup is if Crow were to get seriously injured, unless the guy we already have is the one who steps up and shocks everyone.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
living here in edmonton, the media was always on local management for the khabibulin signing, when he played , he was alright and even had some streaks of absolute brillance, Last year, many local oiler fans still had more confidence in khabby than devan dubynk. its just too bad he couldnt stay healthy, Was hoping his contract was 1 million or less, as 2 mill for a guy who might only play 20 games is pricey.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Well hopefully the Hawks will be proactive and do their best to make sure the #3 is ready. Whoever they determine is the #3 (Raanta or Hutton I'd assume?), hopefully they make sure that player gets 3-5 games with the Hawks this year. It might lessen the shock on them if they suddenly have to play in the playoffs or something.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
No backup the Hawks get for under 2 and under will be able to take them through the playoffs. It's Crawford or a 2nd round exit (probably).

I don't get how people are just assuming that the moment the Hawks call on Habby that he'll be injured.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
No backup the Hawks get for under 2 and under will be able to take them through the playoffs. It's Crawford or a 2nd round exit (probably).

I don't get how people are just assuming that the moment the Hawks call on Habby that he'll be injured.

I don't agree. The Hawks are the best team in the NHL and could win the Cup with average goaltending (which isn't a lot to expect from a backup).

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
its just his past history, he wasnt able to start this season, despite being a 4 month lockout, when he did come back, he would play 2 games in a row and he played a great game against the hawks but then suddenly even though he finished all the games he was on the disabled list for 3 weeks, Factor in his age, and all the warning signs are there of a potential problem Remember when he was originally a hawk he was always injuired too and he wasnt 40 years old back then.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
I don't agree. The Hawks are the best team in the NHL and could win the Cup with average goaltending (which isn't a lot to expect from a backup).

Crawford was hardly average during the playoffs and the Hawks would have lost in the 2nd round if it wasn't for him.

As to potential injury, Khabby won't be asked to tend net more than 20 games and probably none in a row. I really don't see the problem here.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Emery would have been great to have back, but i guess his desire to join the Flyers Circus Carousel of goalies was too hard to resist. He wont be playing behind the same great defence, and his numbers will defintily not be as good. Dont know much about Raanta , are chicago media and fans expecting big things from him, i recall the monster being hyped as the greatest thing and he was a horrible failure in toronto, I assume Raanta will be the no 1 guy on the farm.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Crawford played well in the playoffs had a few rough spots but all that matters is winning, and he got the job done. Nobody got on Rask or Quick when they had a bad game, it seemed like CBC was in love with Rask, proclaiming him as the next Cheevers, he lets in 6 goals and loses but nobody says a word about his game . Khabby should just be spot started obviously never 2 in a row if they dont have to, crawford should be able to handle 55 to 65 games as he proved in the playoffs he can handle a huge workload.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Crawford was hardly average during the playoffs and the Hawks would have lost in the 2nd round if it wasn't for him.

As to potential injury, Khabby won't be asked to tend net more than 20 games and probably none in a row. I really don't see the problem here.

I didn't say Crawford was average during the playoffs.

I'm not convinced they wouldn't have won without him - though he had a really nice playoff run. At the same time - Niemi was mostly average in 2010 and the Hawks won the Cup. Though Niemi was spectacular in the San Jose series.

I just think this team is good enough to win with a backup. But the backup needs to be healthy and able to play, something Khabibulin usually is not.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Niemi was barely average in the finals against the flyers, thankfully Leighton was really bad, there was a point there in the games where it felt last shot wins, but Niemi got the job done, but certainly didnt steal too many games in 2010 playoffs,

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Well hopefully the Hawks will be proactive and do their best to make sure the #3 is ready. Whoever they determine is the #3 (Raanta or Hutton I'd assume?), hopefully they make sure that player gets 3-5 games with the Hawks this year. It might lessen the shock on them if they suddenly have to play in the playoffs or something.

Hutton went to the Predators a few days ago.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
That's my thought process as well. I don't care for this move at all. I really didn't want to pay Raanta 1.4M to be a #2, especially during his first season in the States... but I'd probably prefer him and the extra $500-600K cap hit that comes with it, over Habby... and I like Habby. I just don't trust him to stay healthy, and godforbid Crow actually get injured, he isn't a guy that is going to be able to take the #1 job.

Khudobin and Greiss would have been the 2 guys I'd have gone after first. Would have also been happier with Theodore or Chris Mason. Oh well... not the end of the world, and we're honestly probably ****ed regardless of who the backup is if Crow were to get seriously injured, unless the guy we already have is the one who steps up and shocks everyone.

I like Khudobin and wanted him and would have been ok with Greiss but their not any more locks to be trusted then Khabby

Khudobin 14 games last year was his career high (Yes 14!)
Greiss career high is 19 games (Yes 19!)

Neither is some sure thing who would be more dependable then Khabby

Mason and Theodore both have dealt with injuries and put up save pcts close to .880 last year ,,, How are they more viable then Khabibulin?

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Plus he is a familar face to some of the team and to the city, he did well here in edmonton in helping fellow russian yakapov adapt to his first season in edmonton.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Khabi has injury concerns, but he's a better goalie than most and is probably a top ten backup in the league.

If you look at stats this short season he was better then most backups (Of course it was short year)

Either way he was capable #2 on Oilers these past 2 years which says enough for me

20-25 games of Khabby is not unreasonable to expect and in event of injury Raanta will get some games and likely that would not force Khabby to carry a heavy load

So even if Crawford got injured we would still likely only see 30-35 games from Khabby

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Hutton went to the Predators a few days ago.
and they really want him as Rinnes backup
Khabi has injury concerns, but he's a better goalie than most and is probably a top ten backup in the league.

a healthy Khabibulin is still a 1b goalie. He just isn't healthy anymore.

do you think if Crawford goes down that Raanta would become #1 with Khabby still #2 or would Raanta be the #2?

Last edited by a moderator:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Raanta would get the bulk of the work, overplaying Khabibulin would be a mistake.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Khabi was the perfect signing for people who are concerned about Raanta.

When Khabi inevitably gets injured, Raanta will get to play.

Until then, Raanta can start in Rockford and adjust to North American-sized ice while the Hawks have a more than serviceable veteran backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad