Confirmed with Link: Nikolai Khabibulin returns to Hawks (1 yr deal)

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Near 2M for Kruger? Insane.

That he is seemingly so irreplaceable to some is hilarious, how did Frolik become a premier PKer? It is by foregoing any idea that you are an offensive player and accept your role on PK.

Our best PKer was Crawford and Emery, that's typically how it is on top PK teams.

Not too tough to find guys who can lose draws, find a loose puck and ice it.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Near 2M for Kruger? Insane.

That he is seemingly so irreplaceable to some is hilarious, how did Frolik become a premier PKer? It is by foregoing any idea that you are an offensive player and accept your role on PK.

Our best PKer was Crawford and Emery, that's typically how it is on top PK teams.

Not too tough to find guys who can lose draws, find a loose puck and ice it.

That's exactly how it happened. Man, you're so smart n' stuff. I love yo writings on internet walls.

Kinda funny how our PK was brutal with the same goaltenders last year, but amazing with them this year. It might suggest something changed. But I guess both goaltenders going from below-average to elite is more likely ferrrr shherrrrr.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
That's exactly how it happened. Man, you're so smart n' stuff. I love yo writings on internet walls.

Kinda funny how our PK was brutal with the same goaltenders last year, but amazing with them this year. It might suggest something changed. But I guess both goaltenders going from below-average to elite is more likely ferrrr shherrrrr.

Yup both goalies showed up big time this year, you disagree?

PK scheme went from super passive to more aggressive this year, only change.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It's Marcus ****ing Kruger this guy is so upset about. What is he, a .25 per game (I'm too tired to look it up) 40% F/O 4th line PK'r.

Most of this board wanted him gone last year when he was in the 2C role. 4th line PK is perfect for him but 2 mil a year?!?! You can find a guy at league minimum or bring up a kid. Marcus has more heart than just about anyone on the team - Shaw. Heart is only worth so much.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Thank god I finally found the Kruger thread. Got nervous for a minute when I couldn't find it.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yup both goalies showed up big time this year, you disagree?

PK scheme went from super passive to more aggressive this year, only change.

I don't disagree at all. Saying they were the biggest reason why the PK improved so drastically though is completely off-base. They played a part, but it's not as if Crawford/Emery went from not being able to make a save, to making almost every save.

The biggest change to the PK was like you said, they went from passive and tight (in terms of their spacing) to aggressive and more spread out. Other teams had less time and space to make plays, and dealt with more constant pressure.

The goaltenders made bigger saves, the players made better reads, but going from passive to aggressive was the biggest change on the PK. It was, IMO, something like 15% goaltending, 15% personnel, and 70% the structure/system change.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
It's Marcus ****ing Kruger this guy is so upset about. What is he, a .25 per game (I'm too tired to look it up) 40% F/O 4th line PK'r.

Most of this board wanted him gone last year when he was in the 2C role. 4th line PK is perfect for him but 2 mil a year?!?! You can find a guy at league minimum or bring up a kid. Marcus has more heart than just about anyone on the team - Shaw. Heart is only worth so much.

I've already admitted Kruger could be replaced as soon as next year. It's no secret I'm a fan of his, but I'm not as obsessed with Kruger as you've been with Stalberg, and now Stalberg's gone, and you seem to be taking that out on Krugs. That's not fair bro. I'm sorry for your loss, we all are - really - but he's gone, move on, and hop off Krugs.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I don't disagree at all. Saying they were the biggest reason why the PK improved so drastically though is completely off-base. They played a part, but it's not as if Crawford/Emery went from not being able to make a save, to making almost every save.

The biggest change to the PK was like you said, they went from passive and tight (in terms of their spacing) to aggressive and more spread out. Other teams had less time and space to make plays, and dealt with more constant pressure.

The goaltenders made bigger saves, the players made better reads, but going from passive to aggressive was the biggest change on the PK. It was, IMO, something like 15% goaltending, 15% personnel, and 70% the structure/system change.

... and what percent of that 15% you listed is Kruger. Pretty low, 3.75% if you count four forwards on the PK.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hoss and Bubba have been hyping this guy for years and it's not about to end. Better to not mention his name at all if possible and we all can avoid the hyperbole of their remarks.

As I said earlier, due to the condensed season, our best PKers, core players 81 and 19 were used less in the PK role. (Things will go back to normal next season, and more of the core will get involved). Frolik was a pleasant surprise in that role but he was overpaid, and that made him expendable. Stan certainly shouldn't be repeating that over payment by re-signing a PK guy for too much money, and who offers little else. Plus, in training camp, we will see how close Denault is to making the team, and he could surprise, as he seems to have all the tools.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
... and what percent of that 15% you listed is Kruger. Pretty low, 3.75% if you count four forwards on the PK.

Which isn't the point. I've made the point countless times as to why Kruger isn't replaceable from within the system - as you've implored. Go re-read the thread, it'll make a world of difference for you.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Hoss and Bubba have been hyping this guy for years and it's not about to end. Better to not mention his name at all if possible and we all can avoid the hyperbole of their remarks.

As I said earlier, due to the condensed season, our best PKers, core players 81 and 19were used less in that role. (Things will go back to normal next season). Frolik was a pleasant surprise in that role but he was overpaid, and that made him expendable. Stan certainly shouldn't be repeating that over payment by re-signing a PK guy who offers little else. Plus, in training camp, we will see how close Denault is to making the team, and he could surprise, as he seems to have all the tools.

Ah yes, lets hop on this train again. Seems like I'm a fanboy of every player on the team. Weird how that happens. I mean, it's not like I ever make sense (oh wait, I'm sure you and HawksFan74 would argue I don't.. and you'd be pretty much alone in that thinking).

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I've already admitted Kruger could be replaced as soon as next year. It's no secret I'm a fan of his, but I'm not obsessed with Kruger as you've been with Stalberg, and now Stalberg's gone, and you seem to be taking that out on Krugs. That's not fair bro. I'm sorry for your loss, we all are - really - but he's gone, move on, and hop of Krugs.

This has nothing to do with Stalberg. You're acting like a child. Bringing up other ulterior motives because I don't agree with your stance. Insulting posters that don't agree with you.

We all knew Stalberg was gone as the playoffs neared. No way they were going to be able to keep him and absolutely no reason per his relationship with Q.

We were having a discussion whether Kruger could be replaced and the cap situation the Hawks are in. Valid conversation if you don't have to take it to a personal level.

Stating that Kruger could be odd man out, I don't think he is based on recent reports via Stan, is not out of the question.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Which isn't the point. I've made the point countless times as to why Kruger isn't replaceable from within the system - as you've implored. Go re-read the thread, it'll make a world of difference for you.

Seems like per your percentages, that's not much to be replaced. The best thing that happened to Kruger is Q finally figured out he is not a 2C.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
This has nothing to do with Stalberg. You're acting like a child. Bringing up other ulterior motives because I don't agree with your stance. Insulting posters that don't agree with you.

We all knew Stalberg was gone as the playoffs neared. No way they were going to be able to keep him and absolutely no reason per his relationship with Q.

We were having a discussion whether Kruger could be replaced and the cap situation the Hawks are in. Valid conversation if you don't have to take it to a personal level.

Stating that Kruger could be odd man out, I don't think he is based on recent reports via Stan, is not out of the question.

I'm acting like a child? Lol. Dude, re-read your posts over the last page and a half. Seriously, why haven't you re-read the thread? You wouldn't be continuing to post if you did.

I made countless counterpoints. Counterpoints that make far more sense. And so you persist. One can only draw one conclusion from it.. and you know what that is.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

So, a Ben Smith let's say, can't be half as good as Kruger on PK and contribute 1.8% to the system?

Really? It's not that difficult to make that change, if Kruger is sniffing much more than 1.25M.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Seems like per your percentages, that's not much to be replaced. The best thing that happened to Kruger is Q finally figured out he is not a 2C.

So, Pirri's replacing Kruger on the PK next year. That's your "from within the system" argument? Okay.

/thread.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
So, a Ben Smith let's say, can't be half as good as Kruger on PK and contribute 1.8% to the system?

Really? It's not that difficult to make that change, if Kruger is sniffing much more than 1.25M.

Marcus Kruger and Michael Frolik. The only player in the Hawks system that's going to see any PK time on the Hawks next year is Ben Smith. There is no other player in the system that's replacing what those guys did, least not at centre.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Hoss won't admit it. Kruger is not replaceable, all of our prospects suck apparently.

How long have you been posting on this board? I've been pumping our prospects since 2011.

You're just being annoying at this point.. and you're continued belief that any of the Hawks prospects is going to replace Kruger on the PK next year goes to show how little you know about our prospects, and how little you've seen them play.

Re-reading this thread would do wonders for you. They may even stop the headaches. Just do it. For everyone, but most importantly, yourself.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Marcus Kruger and Michael Frolik. The only player in the Hawks system that's going to see any PK time on the Hawks next year is Ben Smith. There is no other player in the system that's replacing what those guys did, least not at centre.

Why would it need be a center? To replace Kruger's 39% PK faceoffs wins?

One can roll, Smith, Shaw, Sharp, Hossa, Saad, Toews that should cover it.

Nearly any prospect in our system could become an excellent PKer if they bought into it like Frolik did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad