Speculation: Niklas Hjalmarsson

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
Frolik and his 2.33 is replaceable

His skill set at that price may be replaceable.

What he's done on the ice this year on the PK is another matter. I love how so many seem to think that you could throw and player in the 1-2.5 mil range out there on the PK and get the same results as Fro & Kru.

If we win the the Cup and the PK numbers stay the same, it will be a MAJOR part of why it happens.

It's gotten to the point that other teams getting a power play doesn't even change my pulse rate. I expect us to kill it.

That is such an advantage.

Personally, I wish Frolik was either under 2 or contributed more at even strength, but I don't believe that he's easily replaceable in the role that he fills on this team.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
I was GM of the year several times when I used to play EA sports games.

An expert at finding players with the same skill ratings, but at a much lower salary.

Won me several championships. :laugh:

It doesn't work that way in real life like so many on here seem to think with the constant "let's just trade this piece for a cheaper but same value piece" talk.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Watch the cap go right nack UP with the moolah load from all those outdoor games and record attendaces and merchamdise sales...what lockout? A mere blip on the Bettman Inflation Salary Index...Of course they will also need to up T and K but expect only a 10% bump up as they will meed to give hometown disvounts to"help" the team with cap inflation...In a sense it will br easier to re-sign them at "just" $6.9 mil each than limiting Hammer to just a mere $500K raise to $4mil per..he will market at closer to $5mil per...

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
OK... then who would replace Hjammer? The reason we are where we are one of the best defenses in the league is because of our depth. Trade Seabrook and all of a sudden we are much thinner, and much less physical.

A physical, "less talented" Dman can take the minutes and IMO we don't lose that much.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I think he's getting a long contract at 4.5 for a bunch of years. That isn't a bad price for the minutes he can log.

I'm cheering for record NHL revenue next year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Wow, imagine that. Player X has a bad year...Player X should be traded for whatever.

What a joke.

Maybe people missed Seabrook being our #1Dman with Keith suspended? How he played great in that game, and really, most of the LA series.

1 bad year does not make a player.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What about Kane? A few bad games is different than an entire season. I see your point, though.

When you are talking about a core guy or key guy, for me, I need 2 to 2.5 seasons straight of significantly worse play to cut the cord.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
When you are talking about a core guy or key guy, for me, I need 2 to 2.5 seasons straight of significantly worse play to cut the cord.

You're looking at it the wrong way IMO. I can't speak for MM obviously. But floating the idea of possibly moving Seabrook doesn't have to be looked at as giving up on him. The reality is - some guys we don't want to lose will be leaving over the next several years. Hard decisions will have to be made.

Do the Hawks have room to give Hammer (and maybe Crawford too) a raise - while keeping Seabrook? Especially with Toews, Saad and Kane raises coming a year later? Probably not.

What if it comes down to one or the other? And if it does come down to one or the other - keep in mind that Seabrook would bring a lot back, where Hammer would bring back nothing due to leaving as an UFA. That's a huge part of it - asset management.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Will people stop trying to trade Seabrook, again one bad season or stretch and get him out of here. Too bad we didn't trade Kane last year right?

One bad season? He played well for the first half of last year then faded down the stretch, but his previous 1.5 seasons were garbage. In other words, since the mid-point of our Cup winning season (he was great to start the year then sucked after the All-Star break), he's sucked for 3 of 3.5 seasons (keep in mind this year was short, though we made up for it some by going deeper in the playoffs than the last few years).

Based on his salary cap hit he is the 3rd highest paid player on the team, yet he's likely in the bottom 1/3 as far as play goes. He's had a whopping 3 points these playoffs, and his defense has been downright atrocious (falling down a lot, not clearing the crease, slow to the puck along he boards, etc) save for the last game (where he actually played well, especially in the third). As much as Oduya has been flamed around here, and rightly so at times, he's been more important to this team than Seabrook has. Leddy (who is repeatedly misused by Q), Keith, Hammer, and arguably Oduya are better, as all around players and contributors than Seabs.

Seabs is a big defender who should be patrolling the crease ala Pronger and clearing traffic in front of the net, but he doesn't. He's willing to block shots and can throw the big occasional hit, but the game tying game 5 goal is the EXACT reason he shouldn't be here. He's got the body and the speed to be a stay at home defensman and he sucks at it. He doesn't clear the crease, is constantly puck watching in front of the net and allowing players to easily slide back door, is horrendous at clearing pucks away from the net, get's burned repeatedly in transition, and...which is part of the previous problem, has some of the slowest reaction time on the team.

Just what the hell are we getting for 5.8 million a season? A big defenseman with a heavy but largely errant shot, that isn't adept at keeping pucks in the zone or maintaining the cycle on the PP. He can jump the occasional play, but gets caught with equal regularity on the occasional pinch. He's amazing at stretch passes, I will give him that, and this is probably his biggest individual talent as a player. On defense he's slow to react to the play, generally sucks in transition D, displays wretched instincts, can't clear the crease, and doesn't cover players well. And at 29-30 he isn't likely to get any better.

The 2007-Mid 2009 was probably the best Seabs has/will played in a Bhawk uniform. Some players peak early, some don't recover from injuries that well (I don't think he's been the same since the concussion), and some players are just overrated. I think Seabs may be a combination of the 3, and it's become blatantly apparent that he's not worth 5.8 million per year. Luckily though, I still think there are several desperate and dumb GMs who still buy into the Keith/Seabrook hype. I think we could get a good return for him, get a defensman who can, at the very least, be a comparable overall player for far less money in the FA market, or use the trade return to plug the hole. When you consider he's not the best defenseman in the world and shouldn't be on either of our STs units, it's not that big of a hole to fill anyway.

Getting rid of Seabs wouldnt' be a nee jerk reaction, it would be the prudent move for a player in decline that's been 2-3 years in the making. I think it would likely make our team better in both the short and the long term.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
A physical, "less talented" Dman can take the minutes and IMO we don't lose that much.

Why not jettison the lesser player (Seabrook) who makes MORE money AND would fetch (as Sarava said) something in return? Not to mention Hammer is FIVE years younger than Seabrook.

Anybody willing to get rid of Hammer, or even Leddy for that matter, over Seabrook has more than a few screws loose. He's an average defenseman making borderline elite defensman money. Bad allocation of resources.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Why not jettison the lesser player (Seabrook) who makes MORE money AND would fetch (as Sarava said) something in return? Not to mention Hammer is FIVE years younger than Seabrook.

Anybody willing to get rid of Hammer, or even Leddy for that matter, over Seabrook has more than a few screws loose. He's an average defenseman making borderline elite defensman money. Bad allocation of resources.

You misread my post. I suggested that Hammer move into Seab's spot with a lesser talented and physical Dman filling in on the lower pairings.

I've had my beef's with Hammer, mostly his atrocious passing, in the past, but he has leaped ahead of Seabs IMO.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
1 down year vs 1 up year

both should show this level of play for more than 1 year to say stuff like that and Seabrook is REALLY not as bad as he is made out of here.

Last year it was Kane and Keith, this year it's Seabs and next year it will be a healthy Sharp or whoever

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hammer won't replace Seabrook until he posts 30+ pt seasons.

His defense is better, but his offense is faaaaaarrrr below Seabrook..

We should be keeping Seabrook, Keith, Hammer, and Leddy for as long as possible.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
In 2011-2012 Seabrook may have been our best D-man. Played a ton, 34 points for a defense first guy, best +/-, lead the team in blocked shots, played with several different partners.

But because in 2012-13 he didn't play as well let's trade him.

You guys kill me.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
Hammer won't replace Seabrook until he posts 30+ pt seasons.

His defense is better, but his offense is faaaaaarrrr below Seabrook..

We should be keeping Seabrook, Keith, Hammer, and Leddy for as long as possible.

yes.gif

troymurray

May 18, 2013
It's comical that some of the kids posting here deem Shaw a replaceable spare part. Why are you even allowed in this forum? lol.

This kid has jam. He's basically playing like Bolland did the last Cup run. Incredible start to his career after being a 5th round (!!!!!!) pick 2 years ago. The scouts that touted this guy deserve a lot of credit.

Anyway, as for Hjalmarsson, wow, has this guy ever improved this year. I'm not sure I'd take Bieksa for him at this point so that gives you an idea of the money coming to him.

A buddy of Sharp called him 'House League' to his face a couple of years ago. Any Thunder Bay guys would know this story. Not a fitting nickname anymore.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Try and move Seabrook this offseason, lest we have another Bolland on our hands. His peak is past, teams that don't watch him game in game out may not be hip to it, yet.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Why are we freaking out over Hammer's new deal that happens next summer?

Bolland Brookbank and and Frolik deals are done then. Hammer will get some of that money.

Add in a cap going up to around $66 mil, it should be no problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad