Speculation: Niklas Hjalmarsson

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
A UFA at the end of next season. Currently has an AAV of $3.5m.

I'm thinking the Hawks will try to re-sign him. I wonder how much/what term he's going to want (and whether they try to re-sign him over this summer).

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
A UFA at the end of next season. Currently has an AAV of $3.5m.

I'm thinking the Hawks will try to re-sign him. I wonder how much/what term he's going to want (and whether they try to re-sign him over this summer).

Well hopefully Stan gets this one done before it's going to cost a fortune (like is about to happen with Bickell).

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Defensive D-man with very limited offensive output aren't usually notably expensive. He deserves a raise but I'd be surprised to see him get anything more than $4M annually.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Defensive D-man with very limited offensive output aren't usually notably expensive. He deserves a raise but I'd be surprised to see him get anything more than $4M annually.

I guarantee you someone would be willing to put out 4.5-5.0 on the open market.

Think about it. San Jose offer sheeted 3 years ago at 3.5 million per season. Hammer is still young and just had his best season as a pro. On top of that he has been ****ing brilliant in the post season. If a team was willing to OFFER SHEET at 3.5 you're bat **** crazy if you don't think he'll go for at least 4.5 on the open market.

Personally I can see someone paying 5.5 million/year for Hammer. If Brent Seabrook, who is a horrible defender (doesn't clear the crease ala last night's goal, fumbles around his own net, and gets burned a lot in transition) and a marginal offensive defenseman can make 5.8 million per year, what makes you think Hammer would go for less? Honest question.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't even see Hjammer making it to the open market. He likes Chicago and the team and like Oduya he will take a slight paycut to stay here and win here

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
I guarantee you someone would be willing to put out 4.5-5.0 on the open market.

Think about it. San Jose offer sheeted 3 years ago at 3.5 million per season. Hammer is still young and just had his best season as a pro. On top of that he has been ****ing brilliant in the post season. If a team was willing to OFFER SHEET at 3.5 you're bat **** crazy if you don't think he'll go for at least 4.5 on the open market.

Personally I can see someone paying 5.5 million/year for Hammer. If Brent Seabrook, who is a horrible defender (doesn't clear the crease ala last night's goal, fumbles around his own net, and gets burned a lot in transition) and a marginal offensive defenseman can make 5.8 million per year, what makes you think Hammer would go for less? Honest question.

Not getting into Seabrook, you have a very strange thing going against him that makes discussion mostly pointless.

But I don't think Hjalmarsson will get to the open market. I think he takes ~4M per with extra security in contract length and re-signs either this summer or during next season.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I have been very harsh on Hammer but this year's playoffs he has been a beast, Seabrook would be a potential trade candidate if it were me.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
He's easily our best defenceman when it comes to defence. On the open market he easily gets 5 million/per. Hopefully he stays at a discount at 4-4.5.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Not getting into Seabrook, you have a very strange thing going against him that makes discussion mostly pointless.

But I don't think Hjalmarsson will get to the open market. I think he takes ~4M per with extra security in contract length and re-signs either this summer or during next season.

I think 4M would be a pipe dream while 4.5 may be realistic on a long deal (at least 5 years).

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right but I think that you are being very optimistic here.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
I think 4M would be a pipe dream while 4.5 may be realistic on a long deal (at least 5 years).

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right but I think that you are being very optimistic here.

It might be overly optimistic. To be honest, it's pretty difficult to gauge new contracts right now. The cap's going down, there's a new CBA... we don't have all that much precedent to look at at the moment.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
It might be overly optimistic. To be honest, it's pretty difficult to gauge new contracts right now. The cap's going down, there's a new CBA... we don't have all that much precedent to look at at the moment.

True that.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I have been very harsh on Hammer but this year's playoffs he has been a beast, Seabrook would be a potential trade candidate if it were me.

For what in return? I'm not saying he's untradable but that's a big hole on the D core if you deal him and another d-man isn't coming back.

Tayvaan

Apr 11, 2011
Hope we resign him, the guy is a rock in his own zone and we're flush with effective puck movers anyway.

Also I'm pretty sure his skeleton is made of steel or something, guy takes a pounding but rarely misses a shift.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Will people stop trying to trade Seabrook, again one bad season or stretch and get him out of here. Too bad we didn't trade Kane last year right?

Like it or not - decisions are going to have to be made at some point. Bickell, Leddy, Kruger and Stalberg are free agents this summer. Hammer, Crawford and Shaw next summer. Kane, Toews and Saad the year after that. All of these players will probably stand to get raises and there just isn't cap room to do that.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
Like it or not - decisions are going to have to be made at some point. Bickell, Leddy, Kruger and Stalberg are free agents this summer. Hammer, Crawford and Shaw next summer. Kane, Toews and Saad the year after that. All of these players will probably stand to get raises and there just isn't cap room to do that.

Kruger, Shaw, Stalberg, are all replaceable pieces, they aren't top line players. Crawford could be as well. Not to many top pairing D-men floating around.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
For what in return? I'm not saying he's untradable but that's a big hole on the D core if you deal him and another d-man isn't coming back.

Haven't targeted a specific return, but his play hasn't been up to his salary and we have a bunch of guys that need to be signed, now and shortly thereafter. He would not be at the top of the list of guys that I would miss much.

I am not saying trade him just to trade him, I think he could bring quite a bit in return and open up salary space.

Right now, I could go for another GW OT goal or 2 from him and win the Cup.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
worry about resigning Krüger or Shaw? Really??? If they are let go, you need replacements and save next to nothing.

Brookbank and his 1.25 are replaceable
Frolik and his 2.33 is replaceable
Bolland will get traded before others

Who'd replace Seabrook?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
worry about resigning Krüger or Shaw? Really??? If they are let go, you need replacements and save next to nothing.

Brookbank and his 1.25 are replaceable
Frolik and his 2.33 is replaceable
Bolland will get traded before others

Who'd replace Seabrook?

I think Hammer has already replaced Seabrook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad