Injury Report: Niklas Backstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
The Wild have announced Backstrom's injury status.

1eFGKHy.png

Billy Mays Here*

I've always been a supporter of Backstrom, but honestly, I'm starting to ware on him a bit. He doesn't stop many of the high corner shots, his rebound control is getting worse, and he's almost incapable of stopping a second or third shot once he gives up a rebound as he's usually flopping around on the ice. I'm wishing more and more that we would've gotten Bernier now. Backstrom is alright, but how many times has he actually stolen a game for us the past couple seasons? Not many. The Boston game on NBC comes to mind but that's about it. God I hope Kuemper or Gustafsson turns out or it could get ugly. Get Hards a lot of games right now and see how he does.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I've never been much of a Backstrom fan and he certainly hasn't done anything to change my opinion of him this year.

I'm sick of hearing that the goals aren't his fault or that he was hung out to dry. That's bound to happen to goalies every now and then, the good ones bail out their team and make those great saves from time to time; he never does.

Luckily I think Kuemper could be a quality starting goaltender in the NHL as soon as this year so I'm not too worried about it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Backstrom has been letting in far too many soft shots. I hope he heals, but I think Harding and/or Kuemper give the Wild a better shot at winning games.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Backstrom's glove has been very good this year. I can't fault a goalie for not stopping the second or third shots when the defense doesn't clear the crease. But he's been getting injured quite a bit the last few years. Coaches have played him too much.

Still think Harding gets bought out this summer.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
He keeps getting screened. I think Harding has been very good for us too, he won't be bought out. We need to roll with this tandem and let them split games. I think we can pull off something similar to Hiller/Fasth last year. Splitting the games with a good backup works extremely well, just look at Halak/Elliott in 2011-12.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Very happy it's not serious. The guy has never been Martin Brodeur but he is still important to this franchise until another goalie replaces him. He also was a big reason why we even made the playoffs last year when we went on that huge win streak before of course almost throwing it away at the end. He's on his last leg but we simply cannot afford to not have him until we comfortably replace him.

THEALLKNOWING*

I really wish we would have gotten Bernier. Backstrom is running on fumes at this point.

He has been running on fumes since he signed the $6.5MM per year contract! Jacque's defensive system made Backstrom appear better than he was.

Both he and Harding historically have not been known to come through when needed due to injury. Fans just forget about that.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
"Day to day" could still mean weeks. That was a hard lesson learned after seeing Gabby, Lats, Butch, and others sometimes listed as day to day, yet they were gone much longer than expected. Could mean 3 days.....could end up being 3 weeks. But it could have been much worse, so it is what it is.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I like Backs, but you guys are right, I'm starting to think he's starting to decline a bit. He's a solid consistent goaltender. Nothing more. He will make a lot of saves, but he isn't going to steal a game for you, and I think the Wild need some of that, especially with the defense being a little shaky.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
I say give a contract to the goalie prospect we have who cheated at Harvard. Start him, send all our top prospects back to Iowa, and promote all the Iowa scrubs to the Wild.

Tank like the Penguins/Hawks, and get a top pick.

Buy out Backstrom next summer, let Heatley walk away, and sign a top 4 D-man (Dan Girardi/Jonathon Erickson, Andre Mezaros, Matt Niskanen, Nikita Nikitin) , sign another goalie, and then let the kids kick butt on the 2nd & 3rd lines in 2014-2015.

TANK TANK TANK TANK!!!

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I say give a contract to the goalie prospect we have who cheated at Harvard. Start him, send all our top prospects back to Iowa, and promote all the Iowa scrubs to the Wild.

Buy out Backstrom next summer, let Heatley walk away, and sign a top 4 D-man (Dan Girardi/Jonathon Erickson, Andre Mezaros, Matt Niskanen, Nikita Nikitin) , sign another goalie, and then let the kids kick butt on the 2nd & 3rd lines in 2014-2015.

TANK TANK TANK TANK!!!

The time for tanking is BEFORE you sign UFAs on the verge of 30 to big contracts, not after.

This is also a great way to lose Parise/Suter/Pominville/any other UFA, who in their right mind would go to a team that did something like that? Who would want to stay?

We're in a very different position than the Penguins and the Blackhawks.

What is it with Minnesota sports (well mostly Wild/Vikes) fans and thinking that Tanking is the answer?

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
The time for tanking is BEFORE you sign UFAs on the verge of 30 to big contracts, not after.

This is also a great way to lose Parise/Suter/Pominville/any other UFA, who in their right mind would go to a team that did something like that? Who would want to stay?

We're in a very different position than the Penguins and the Blackhawks.

What is it with Minnesota sports (well mostly Wild/Vikes) fans and thinking that Tanking is the answer?

Apparently my chant of TANK TANK TANK TANK didn't come thru properly without this " :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

DO you REALLY think anyone would suggest tanking only 3 games into a season? :shakehead

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

TANK TANK TANK TANK!!!

Stop it.
Edit: **** I didn't catch the sarcasm.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Great, a guy who is already old and slow moving laterally and with his glove hand now has a leg injury. Took me 3 games into this season to let my deeply rooted dislike of Backstrom to take hold again. :rant:

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Apparently my chant of TANK TANK TANK TANK didn't come thru properly without this " :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

DO you REALLY think anyone would suggest tanking only 3 games into a season? :shakehead

Based on some of your posts, absolutely. This is the guy that was saying that Suter was going to be the next gomez, and is terrible defensively, less than 10 games into last season.

By the way, how much longer before we all realize that signing Suter is going to be the 2nd coming of the Gomez contract.

Suter is so bad defensively, I want to cry. ONCE AGAIN he was on the ice when the Ducks scored the go ahead goal, and it was 100% his fault, as he was totally out of position and thus left Brodin all alone to stop a 2 on 1.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=58890673&postcount=541

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad