Niklas Bäckström appreciation thread

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
He was a great goalie for us, he played very well and won us many games on his performance alone. Its a shame that injuries destroyed him so fast, his durability went down the drain as well and the massive contract he got didn't help the matters much.

Thank you for all the memories Backstrom, thank you for your time and good luck to you going forward.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
at 6 mill i thought he was slightly overpaid however he was a terrific goalie for many years. i just feel he should have retired if he wasn't 100% before his last contract. thx 4 the memories backs!

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I met Backstrom at an event for my old company many years ago. Nice guy and he even gave me an autograph.

Good luck in the future, Backs.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Those highlight videos of Bäckstrom have some pretty awesome saves in them. I had all forgotten about his sick glovehand. That kind of play is a delight to watch, compared to Duby who is just big as a house and is basically just standing in the way. (Im not saying Dubs is ****, just boring)

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Didn't Bäckström have surgery in the summer? How did he screw the team over?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Didn't Bäckström have surgery in the summer? How did he screw the team over?

I thought he knew he wouldn't play in the second half of the year and really got injured in like January or so, and then delayed the surgery until after the season was over. But I thought I remembered reading something about Fletcher deciding not to shut him down early. Someone else may remember the specifics better.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Hard to get nostalgic over a player who screwed his own team over two summers in a row. Should have left after his last contract.

If I'm remembering right, he was about our only option for a netminder when he signed his current contract (Harding had just been diagnosed with MS and I don't recall any other decent goalies on the FA market), although he knew that and leveraged the situation into his current contract.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Hard to get nostalgic over a player who screwed his own team over two summers in a row. Should have left after his last contract.

That's a very short-sighted way of looking at Backstrom's 9 year career with the Wild.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
If you don't have anything nice to say, [mod] don't say anything at all.
This is an appreciation thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad