Niklas Bäckström appreciation thread

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Someone else mentioned we should have a thread, so here we go.

Niklas-Backstrom.jpg

We all hated how it played out over the past few years, but Backstrom was really a key part of this organization over the years.

Accomplishments:
06-07:
Shared the Jennings trophy with Manny Fernandez as part of the duo that gave up the fewest GAA (Backs with 1.97).
Finished with the best save percentage in the NHL (.929).
*This was his rookie season

08-09:
Made the All-Star game
Vezina trophy finalist (.923, 2.33 GAA)

Team records:
Most wins in franchise history
Most wins in a season
Most shutouts in a season

I had forgotten that amazing season was actually his rookie season. Pretty incredible.

It was a quick fall from grace, and injuries definitely didn't help the cause. But he was a heck of a goalie in his prime. Thanks Backstrom - too bad it couldn't have been a happy ending.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
we've seen him steal games for the team, and steal games from the team with his contract - all is right in the universe

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
He was the worst shootout goalie in the league save% wise, so that was a little bit of a buzzkill. Amazing save in the back half of that video where he kicks the leg up vertically near the goalpost on the shootout move.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
He was a steady presence for us when he was a starter. Insane that he started 71 games for us once. Perfect goalie for a defensive minded team, would make the saves you expect him to, and a few you didn't every so often. Didn't get rattled. Wish it could've ended in a better way.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
We were always rotating goalies that I was shocked when they gave Manny a new contract making him the legit starter, while kicking Roli to Edmonton. Backs was suppose to be the backup. Less than a year later he chased Manny out of the net. :biglaugh:

hipchecks

#MakeStaalGreatAgain
Mar 3, 2015
Minnesota
He will always be one my all-time favorite Wild players. Shame that the divorce had to be messy, but I wish him the best wherever he ends up. Injuries aside, he stabilized the Wild's goaltender position for quite some time. Best of luck to him.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Thanks Bäckström! Hopefully he gets some games this season.

Caior89

Mar 31, 2011
Good goaltender, awful in shootouts...

I feel happy for him, finally he can get some opportunity to play somewhere. Definitively the best goaltender this team ever had in a long tenure. Wish him luck and hopefully to play some games this year.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Remember when he was supposed to be the starting goalie going into the 2013 playoffs? Then he tweaked his leg in warmups of Game 1.

Good times.

Wow, that was less than 3 years ago? Feels like he hasn't played in a looooong time.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
194 wins for the Wild. That's 19 more than Manny and Roli, who are 2nd and 3rd, together. Huge player for this franchise. Just humongous.

He's so positionally solid and all about technique that he could still be winning truck loads of games in this league without them injuries. A real goaltender's goalie.

Thanks for the excellent job. Now go and play yourself into a position to deliver that high note. You deserve it.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Great thread, great memories. He was so sound, steady and balanced at his best it was beautiful to watch. Thank You Backs.

Ps. Hopefully UPS doesn't screw delivery again today. So gonna have my Backs jersey finally.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
it's funny.. when we had Manny I was railing to go with Backstrom and everyone thought I was crazy.

Then we trade Manny and go with Backstrom... but then Backstrom got grossly overpaid by DR and then I was railing for Harding.

Then Harding got MS and Backstrom's new contract was less so I was ok with it, then Backstrom's play fell off the face of the earth and made that contract worse than the first.

Through most of his time here, he was a very difficult player for me to like due to contract reasons... but for the most part, he was a solid goaltender and I appreciate what he accomplished with the team, it was just too difficult to get past the cap issues that made things difficult during his time.

Thank you Backstrom for the good times that were difficult to appreciate. Good luck in all your future endeavors. You were never as bad as many (often times myself) people claimed, all that venom was more directed at your contract, not yourself.

tumblr_lzsbe5N8kr1qzmifmo1_500.gif

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Still pissed at him for blocking our buyout attempts, but its impossible to deny he was a good goal tender once upon a time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad