Value of: Nikita Zaitsev

Vote on his value around the NHL overall

• Total voters

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I agree with you. If you take this place, and the Internet in general, too seriously you've already lost.

Objectively, Zaitsev probably has no value at all on the trade market, not until his play improves. He's better than he was last year but definitely not as good as he was his 1st year, after which Lou prematurely ejacsigned him to a long-term contract.

Good post.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Toronto isn't in second place because their D is good, they're in 2nd place because their offense is elite and Andersen is playing insanely well.

Zaitsev is basically who Alzner was last year (and before that). Lets not pretend Alzner was

As for the off-side thing, yes D can do it, but most coaches don't like doing it unless they have too.

And guess what? I still wouldn't want Zaitsev over Montreal's odd assortment of NHLers. Because he isn't really better than them, but would be playing his offside.

It is at this point that I am forced to remind myself that you can't reason a person out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into. Congrats on your $4.625m depth for the next four years. I'll pretty happily keep the $4.5m #4 who's playing over his head 20 minutes a night.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Leafs fans, what happened to him?

He was obviously good enough to get a good contract...whats going on?

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018

Defensively he isn't horrible.
Especially away from the puck and on the boards.

Problem is he can't handle the puck or pass.
Kind of important things to do.

As a shut down D he's not horrible, but it's exiting the zone he looks lost.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
hes played well for the Leafs this season. Most people would be surprised to hear that the leafs are top 5 in goals against. He logs a ton of minutes and keeps the puck out of our net. He scored points in his rookie year because he got PP time. IF Gardiner leaves us in the off season, Zaitsev's value to the Leafs will sky rocket.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

he was pretty good in his first season, cast way over his head but put up passable results and good point totals in higher-end #1D usage (in the context of the league, he and Rielly faced brutal competition together). The brass bet on him improving from there on a long deal so that if he improved at all, which would have meant he was a passable top pairing defenseman, they would have a long term steal of a contract.

Last year was injury plagued (broken foot, concussion, a flu virus that caused him to lose like 10lbs in a couple of weeks) so we were optimistic on improvement from those results and it hasn't really happened yet. He looks panicky on the ice, which he did last year as well but not so much in his rookie season. The tools are still good - very good skater, good size, physical enough, big shot and a decent stretch passer, but he just seems to panic his way into trying to fire it off the boards when a clean outlet is available too often. If he could steal some of Gardiner's calmness and Gardiner get some of his sense of urgency they would both be better players imo

at this point it looks like a bad bet that management made, but he's probably still passable if Dermott is what he seems to be as a smarter, better defensive version of Gardiner. Dermott seems to be a possession monster and Zaitsev is the opposite, if they can balance eachother out then they are probably a passable second pairing together and I think that's our best bet in the long run rather than trying to find a taker for his contract

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It is at this point that I am forced to remind myself that you can't reason a person out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into. Congrats on your $4.625m depth for the next four years. I'll pretty happily keep the $4.5m #4 who's playing over his head 20 minutes a night.

You think I'm drawing my opinion of Zaitsev based on reputation? And not watching him play? Or looking at his stats. Or only using a small sample? I'm not.

The things Zaitsev is good at are the same as Alzner's were/are. He's got a lot of flaws to his game. Zaitsev's underlying numbers are awful. He's a player that plays tough minutes, but really shouldn't. I argued it with respect to Alzner even before he was a Hab. Or any other number of "solid" D-men.

I'm happier having a replaceable D-man for the next 3 1/2 years over a replaceable D-man for the next 5 1/2. No question.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Negative value
He's had 1 good season, and has been awful since then.
Signed for 6 more years at 4.5 mil

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I've seen Zaitsev a handful of times this season, and he was solid defensively but had very little impact on the driving play or contributing to offense. I would think that his cap hit and contract length would scare some teams away and the thought that he would be moved to address the Leafs cap would decrease his overall value as well. I could see a team offering a 3rd or a 4th and risk/reward type young guy. If the Canucks didn't have Gudbranson and Tanev on the right side, I wouldn't be opposed to offering a mid round (3/4 rounder). I would see Zaitsev's value as being smack dab in the middle between the 2 canucks D (Gudbranson and Tanev). The Leafs cap however probably ensures no one over pays.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This guy can't make a breakout pass to save his life.

Future considerations would be an incredible return just to get out from the contract

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
You wont get an accurate answer here because people base opinion on reputation and ignorance.

You as the OP are also guilty of this.

He has a bottom 10 zone start% in the entire league and still manages to have corsi numbers similar to other primarily DFD like Manson, Tanev, Hjarmalsson, etc.

Sure his breakout leaves a lot to be desired, but defensively he is doing well considering his usage.

As a rare RHD who is objectively a top 4 D, he has value around the league. But you will have everyone coming in here asking for a 1st + from us to dump the contract.

Personally Id rather keep him. He performs admirably at a 4.5 mill cap hit.
Hes not good from what I've watched which is 25+ games... havent looked at his advanced stats but wouldn't offer more than a 2nd

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I want to gauge his value around the NHL. Talking with various Leafs fans, his value in their eyes varies significantly. Rookie season looked good, last year looked very bad, this year not great but not nearly as bad as last year. Pending cap crunch with the Leafs, some guys are likely going to have to be shipped out to make room for more critical players...Zaitsev due to contract seems likely a candidate.

Age 27

Cap hit 4.5 million per year

Term, signed for 5 more years after this one.

RHD

Nikita Zaitsev - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Nikita Zaitsev hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Vote on his value in your opinion, if the Leafs wanted to trade him to clear cap space. To be clear vote on his value overall around the NHL, not specifically to your team only. Let's try to keep the thread civil.
3rd with retention if their lucky.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
You wont get an accurate answer here because people base opinion on reputation and ignorance.

You as the OP are also guilty of this.

He has a bottom 10 zone start% in the entire league and still manages to have corsi numbers similar to other primarily DFD like Manson, Tanev, Hjarmalsson, etc.

Sure his breakout leaves a lot to be desired, but defensively he is doing well considering his usage.

As a rare RHD who is objectively a top 4 D, he has value around the league. But you will have everyone coming in here asking for a 1st + from us to dump the contract.

Personally Id rather keep him. He performs admirably at a 4.5 mill cap hit.

So much this.

One of the better posts I have soon in some time.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He's worth a 1st + 2nd equivalent, with zero retention and I don't think Leafs management would have any interest in that (unless they were shedding salary for Gardiner). Babcock has always spoken highly of him.. No team is getting a legit #4 with upside on a fair market value contract for a UFA (albeit length is a concern) for any less.

With Zaitsev, a lot of the hate on him is exaggerated- similar to Gardiner.

Toronto isn't in second place because their D is good, they're in 2nd place because their offense is elite and Andersen is playing insanely well.

Zaitsev is basically who Alzner was last year (and before that). Lets not pretend Alzner was

As for the off-side thing, yes D can do it, but most coaches don't like doing it unless they have too.

And guess what? I still wouldn't want Zaitsev over Montreal's odd assortment of NHLers. Because he isn't really better than them, but would be playing his offside.

Comparing Alzner who was a blatant LTIR guy before signing his payday is disingenuous to Zaitsev, particularly giving Zaitsev's usage.

I also strongly feel old senile hockey people like Brian Burke need to realize the sport has evolved and no defense under a microscope will look good anymore in today's pace and brand of game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad