Value of: Nikita Zaitsev

Vote on his value around the NHL overall

• Total voters

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He's been better this year than last despite still lacking production. His reputation on here says it's negative, and in reality it could possibly be advantageous for the Leafs to move him, but I still say he's got quite a bit of value around the league. Teams die for top 4 RHD. The term will scare off some teams and some team won't be able to take on that cap, but there are enough other teams around I'd say they could definitely pull at least a 3rd for him. Probably more. Definitely not a 1st, but 3rd+ or 2nd could be possibilities I think.

It's be interesting the see what the Leafs do. They could use that space, but realistically they could use RHD, who's going to replace him? It's not likely going to be a young guy stepping in to a top 4 role unless Dermott switches sides(and they use the gained space to keep Gards). Is it going to be a Hainsey type for 3 million? I'd rather just keep Zaitsev.

How much are we thinking Tyler Myers gets this offseason?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Leafs fans, what happened to him?

He was obviously good enough to get a good contract...whats going on?

His first year in the league Morgan Rielly was Babcock's project, they gave him no PP time so it went to Zaitsev, he put up a bunch of points and Lou overpaid him based on it. He then went to getting no PP time and became Babcock's project last year, that along with injuries, a concussion, and having a kid in the middle of it last year just tanked his season, he was awful. There are some things he's still not great at, but he's improved this year. Still doesn't put up points as he gets no PP time, and is paired with Gardiner so is relied on as the defensive guy.

In short, lack of points, lack of PP time, and horrible reputation carried over from last year with a contract carried over from a year in which he was put in a position to succeed makes him look awful, and while he hasn't been awful, he;'s still not been great. Passable low end 4D.

I would be interested to see if he could regain his 16/17 form if he was put back in that same type of role, spike his value and then trade him. However under the current roster construction that's just not possible. He's the guy who needs to help shelter other guys, while he doesn't get any PP time, not the other way around.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
His value to my team: negative

Around the league imo: 3rd rounder

My feelings as well. Makes too much money and is too limited in what he brings. I would not take him with a 2nd packaged with him given our cap situation, his contract, and the fact we have his skill set very well represented.

However, I could see a team needing defencemen that has cap space giving up a 3rd round pick and a decent prospect for him.

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
He needs sheltered o zone starts in order to be successful. Babcock buries him with Gardiner and just cant contribute and he doesn't get any powerplay time. We are absolutely the wrong team for him now. He needs to play behind a stud and I think St Louis might be a fit if he plays behind Petro.

Zaitsev + Kap for Parayko I'd put some thought into.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
He needs sheltered o zone starts in order to be successful. Babcock buries him with Gardiner and just cant contribute and he doesn't get any powerplay time. We are absolutely the wrong team for him now. He needs to play behind a stud and I think St Louis might be a fit if he plays behind Petro.

You might; St. Louis wouldn't....., not to sound snarky.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
At this point, I think babcock needs to have a talk with him and say... Your a defence only guy at this point. Shut down exclusively. He gives away possession when he tries to be offensive. His shot sucks and doesn't hit the net.
Because Babcock, Toronto, put it however you want made him that way. Partially because Totonto' other D-men can't carry the defensive load.

Cosmic avenger

Oct 27, 2018
He worth a 3rd but salary will be restricting for some teams. Eastern team may not want to help leafs out if in cap hell. But he's a good defenceman which the leafs need more of not less if they want to win the cup.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Zaitsev is not useless, but he is overpaid and he doesn't really have substantial trade value when paired with that contract. The Leafs would be better off paying that money to someone else, or multiple others, but this is probably going to be their second pairing guy for some time. Realistically, they are going to have to figure out a way to win in the playoffs with him playing a significant role.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
To most teams he doesn't have any value at that cap hit with what he can bring, but there might be a team or two that's starved for a guy that can log minutes so they might give up a 3rd/4th round pick.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

Zaits has negative to no value. Parayko is not going to be traded for that small of a return.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Put some thought into? I wouldn't need to think more than 1 second before pulling the trigger on that as a Leafs fan....Blues would decline instantly however.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Zaitsev's contract, and the fact that his level of play falls far short ofv that contract, makes his trade value negative.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He can barely play the right side....lol. Seriously, he's good defensively, but handles the puck like a hand grenade.

Strange that makes his value negative, all the other teams ask for Nylander if a good defensive player can handle the puck at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad