Player Discussion Nikita Zaitsev (RD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Remember when we first got him the sentiment was like damn he’s so much better than ceci. And then you quickly realize he’s atrocious. Talking to “leafs fans” that are buddies they say the exact same thing about Ceci. They’re like damn he can skate he’s big he’s actually not bad. And then a day a week a month goes by and you’re like…these guys just can’t play
Because we never played him as a forward…. His pure skill and elite abilities were never seen….

• Wow
Reactions: bicboi64

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Remember when we first got him the sentiment was like damn he’s so much better than ceci. And then you quickly realize he’s atrocious. Talking to “leafs fans” that are buddies they say the exact same thing about Ceci. They’re like damn he can skate he’s big he’s actually not bad. And then a day a week a month goes by and you’re like…these guys just can’t play

Pens and Oilers fans have been satisfied with Ceci, and his advanced stats are much better since leaving Ontario. Maybe he finally plays for teams/coaches who uses him more adequately (of course he is not a top-10 shutdown D-man in the NHL lol). He is a serviceable D-man. Zaitsev hasn't been for years. This trade was terrible because we gave away Brown at the moment we were hoping to compete.

The Zaitsev-Ceci swap (and Brown renting during 3 non competitive seasons) ends up costing a 2nd, a 3rd and a 4th

A typical terrible talent evaluation and asset management from the Senators

Reactions: Blotto71

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Was kinda funny talking hockey with my leafer friends. We both joked over exchanging absolute pylons in the backend, but he had the last laugh since they only had one season of Ceci.

Man in hindsight this trade appears in worse as time goes on. We could've just let Ceci walk and found FA signing for the D. Quality of hockey would've been the same, would've saved cash and cap. Sure we wouldn't have Connor Brown, but loads of FA forwards end up having productive years on tanking teams since they get so much ice time.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Was kinda funny talking hockey with my leafer friends. We both joked over exchanging absolute pylons in the backend, but he had the last laugh since they only had one season of Ceci.

Man in hindsight this trade appears in worse as time goes on. We could've just let Ceci walk and found FA signing for the D. Quality of hockey would've been the same, would've saved cash and cap. Sure we wouldn't have Connor Brown, but loads of FA forwards end up having productive years on tanking teams since they get so much ice time.
I bet they wish they only had 1 season of Murray right about now.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ceci is in the NHL playoffs with a team who has the opportunity to win a SC. I think he has done alright.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Ceci is in the NHL playoffs with a team who has the opportunity to win a SC. I think he has done alright.

He's turned his career around for sure but he's still not a really good player. He's in the playoffs because of the team around him, not because he's a difference maker.

Either way we could have signed him to 1 year or just let him walk; he was a RFA. We extended a problem contract to get Brown and then did nothing with Brown ( I liked Brown a lot).

It was a bad trade.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
He's turned his career around for sure but he's still not a really good player. He's in the playoffs because of the team around him, not because he's a difference maker.

Either way we could have signed him to 1 year or just let him walk; he was a RFA. We extended a problem contract to get Brown and then did nothing with Brown ( I liked Brown a lot).

It was a bad trade.

The season could have looked a lot different if we had brown on our third line. Say brown gives u an extra 5 goals and erases 5 goals against. Unnecessary budget trade hurt the sens big time.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The season could have looked a lot different if we had brown on our third line. Say brown gives u an extra 5 goals and erases 5 goals against. Unnecessary budget trade hurt the sens big time.

Fair enough but our brass decided he was unnecessary.

When we really could have used him we discarded him.

Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He wasn’t deemed unnecessary, he informed the team that he didn’t want to extend and thus was traded for an asset.

If we’re imagining 5 goals from an injured player who missed the season why not just wish for Norris to have been able to play 20 games before going down.

Hell, just one of our starters having a healthy season could have done the trick.

Reactions: aragorn

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Meh, Dorion would have found a different way to waste money and assets...

Reactions: Xspyrit

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
He wasn’t deemed unnecessary, he informed the team that he didn’t want to extend and thus was traded for an asset.

If we’re imagining 5 goals from an injured player who missed the season why not just wish for Norris to have been able to play 20 games before going down.

Hell, just one of our starters having a healthy season could have done the trick.
EDIT: I thought this was about Ceci, not Brown. Reading comprehension skills aren't there yet this morning, I need my coffee. :laugh:

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Fair enough but our brass decided he was unnecessary.

When we really could have used him we discarded him.

Our insider here told us Brown was not a happy camper that we traded Nick Paul, so of course he asked to be traded

Of course, it's guaranteed that he would have missed the season if he played in Ottawa instead!

Reactions: Samsquanch

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Our insider here told us Brown was not a happy camper that we traded Nick Paul, so of course he asked to be traded

Of course, it's guaranteed that he would have missed the season if he played in Ottawa instead!
How many teams make their decisions on what their players want or don't want? Managers manage & players play. Did Chara leave because of Hossa being traded or did management think he couldn't play in the new NHL because of his lack of speed? They said they could only afford one Chara or Redden & they kept the wrong one in hindsight. I'm sure it happens elsewhere with players & the last sentence is irrational, we don't know what would have happened.

I liked Paul, always argued to keep him, but we could not have paid him what Tampa did. I also liked Brown & argued to keep him, but he wanted to test free agency & cash out. I don't blame him, he had a good yr & wanted to exploit it. Giroux IMO replaced him & is the better player, Pinto IMO replaced Paul & will be the better player. Joseph IMO is going to be a trading chip.

IMO we have a better team now with the additions of Giroux, DBC, the emergence of Stutzle, Sanderson & Pinto. Chychrun should help the team next season, so should a healthy Norris & Zub & Kleven looks like he could turn into a player. The future looks bright for this organization IMO while the team we had over the last number of yrs was growing stale & needed to be changed. We should have a much better group to start next season then we did to end this past season but they need to find a starting goalie.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Even if that were true, who cares? What are they attached at the hip? Paul was decent bottom six guy, Brown is the much superior player. If Brown wanted to hitch his wagon to a replaceable player that’s on him.

The other rumour in the media was that he saw the writing on the wall in terms of top six ice time and wanted a better opportunity to play his contract year. Makes more sense than the “board insider” angle to me.

The point with Brown was that we already have a guy who could pot 5 goals had he not missed the season with his own injury. We don’t need to wish we had kept Brown and that he didn’t get injured, when we have a better player on our team right now that could use our wishes… lol

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Nick Paul. Connor Brown. Mathieu Joseph.

Relative to expectations, I think Ottawa probably outperformed the Bolts and the Caps. Is Nick Paul's contract part of the slide in TB? They just had their worst year in 6.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Nick Paul. Connor Brown. Mathieu Joseph.

Relative to expectations, I think Ottawa probably outperformed the Bolts and the Caps. Is Nick Paul's contract part of the slide in TB? They just had their worst year in 6.
Playing 3 straight finals and decreased production from Stamkos, Kucherov (hada higher ppg last year), Cirelli being injured, and Vasilevsky not being a gamebreaker, all probably had more of a factor than Paul "dragging" down the roster.

Reactions: DrEasy and Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Even if that were true, who cares? What are they attached at the hip? Paul was decent bottom six guy, Brown is the much superior player. If Brown wanted to hitch his wagon to a replaceable player that’s on him.

The other rumour in the media was that he saw the writing on the wall in terms of top six ice time and wanted a better opportunity to play his contract year. Makes more sense than the “board insider” angle to me.

The point with Brown was that we already have a guy who could pot 5 goals had he not missed the season with his own injury. We don’t need to wish we had kept Brown and that he didn’t get injured, when we have a better player on our team right now that could use our wishes… lol

- I don't evaluate players just based on their point totals. The fact that you say that Brown is the much superior player means there will always be a vast difference in our players valuation and also it partially explains what you said the other day lol. Brown is a better passer and will score more points as a result. Paul is better defensively, much more industrious in his approach. Brown is a puck hound with a non-stop motor.

- They were a very efficient/good duo, and that was also very easy to see at the 2021 WC they won together. These 2 could have lead our bottom-6 for years to come and also tremendously help Pinto establish himself in the league. Their 2-way game is so much better than DeBrincat/Batherson, it's not even funny. Again, the fact that you call Paul a "replaceable player" shows your level of understanding of the game. There's a reason Tampa traded for him and signed him long-term, they know 1000 times more what they're doing than Pierre Dorion, lol

- Benjiv1 is not just a "board insider". He has proven himself for a long time.

- Butterfly effect, go watch the movie and go from there. That has nothing to do with "wishes". Norris might have still been injured or not, depends if having Brown and Paul would have changed the exact time of events or not. Nobody knows that

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How many teams make their decisions on what their players want or don't want? Managers manage & players play. Did Chara leave because of Hossa being traded or did management think he couldn't play in the new NHL because of his lack of speed? They said they could only afford one Chara or Redden & they kept the wrong one in hindsight. I'm sure it happens elsewhere with players & the last sentence is irrational, we don't know what would have happened.

Chara left because Muckler was a terrible GM and because Alfie was already captain

The last sentence is sarcasm because it seems that some people don't understand the basics of gravity yet.

I liked Paul, always argued to keep him, but we could not have paid him what Tampa did.

Why not? We offered more than Tampa IIRC

I also liked Brown & argued to keep him, but he wanted to test free agency & cash out. I don't blame him, he had a good yr & wanted to exploit it. Giroux IMO replaced him & is the better player, Pinto IMO replaced Paul & will be the better player. Joseph IMO is going to be a trading chip.

Why keep repeating your own rationale without knowing the truth? I already told you several times before what the real insider on this board told us regarding the situation... I had a different opinion before that then changed it when he said that... Is Benjiv1 not a trustable source?

IMO we have a better team now with the additions of Giroux, DBC, the emergence of Stutzle, Sanderson & Pinto. Chychrun should help the team next season, so should a healthy Norris & Zub & Kleven looks like he could turn into a player. The future looks bright for this organization IMO while the team we had over the last number of yrs was growing stale & needed to be changed. We should have a much better group to start next season then we did to end this past season but they need to find a starting goalie.

If you guys think we're one goalie away to start making some noise and we keep the same personnel (Dorion, DJ, bottom-6, Right defense), prepare to be disappointed. Maybe we could make the playoffs by a hair then get destroyed in the first round.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Chara left because Muckler was a terrible GM and because Alfie was already captain

The last sentence is sarcasm because it seems that some people don't understand the basics of gravity yet.

Why not? We offered more than Tampa IIRC

Why keep repeating your own rationale without knowing the truth? I already told you several times before what the real insider on this board told us regarding the situation... I had a different opinion before that then changed it when he said that... Is Benjiv1 not a trustable source?

If you guys think we're one goalie away to start making some noise and we keep the same personnel (Dorion, DJ, bottom-6, Right defense), prepare to be disappointed. Maybe we could make the playoffs by a hair then get destroyed in the first round.
We'll see I think you're wrong, I think they are much improved & with a healthy lineup to start next yr should get off to a much better start. And yes, I think a decent NHL goalie who can stay healthy for the season would certainly help create some stability on the team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We'll see I think you're wrong, I think they are much improved & with a healthy lineup to start next yr should get off to a much better start. And yes, I think a decent NHL goalie who can stay healthy for the season would certainly help create some stability on the team.

If Dorion and DJ are still in place, we'll do the usual one step forward two steps back. Mark my words, I have been right about this the last 3+ seasons.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Did Chara leave because of Hossa being traded or did management think he couldn't play in the new NHL because of his lack of speed? They said they could only afford one Chara or Redden & they kept the wrong one in hindsight.

I

Chara was pissed that Hosea, a fellow countryman, signed and then traded.

Chara’s lack of speed was exposed in the playoffs, when teams dumped the puck into his corner, and retrieved it, knowing he had difficulty turning and acquiring possession of the puck…. Remember this was the season after they modified the rules, and started to crackdown on clutching and grabbing, which at the time, was Chara’s forte.

Management informed both Redden and Chara they wanted them both back, at the same AAV, and Redden immediately signed. Chara did not, as he wanted out, and to grease the skids, he demanded management remove the Captaincy from the Captain at time, and give it him before he would accept the same contract offers to himself and Redden.

At the split second he became an UFA, his agent announced the 5 year deal with the Bruins, which if I remember correctly included the Captaincy.

So there was NO Choice for the Sens to make, Chara wanted out, and he got out.

Reactions: bicboi64

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Chara was pissed that Hosea, a fellow countryman, signed and then traded.

Chara’s lack of speed was exposed in the playoffs, when teams dumped the puck into his corner, and retrieved it, knowing he had difficulty turning and acquiring possession of the puck…. Remember this was the season after they modified the rules, and started to crackdown on clutching and grabbing, which at the time, was Chara’s forte.

Management informed both Redden and Chara they wanted them both back, at the same AAV, and Redden immediately signed. Chara did not, as he wanted out, and to grease the skids, he demanded management remove the Captaincy from the Captain at time, and give it him before he would accept the same contract offers to himself and Redden.

At the split second he became an UFA, his agent announced the 5 year deal with the Bruins, which if I remember correctly included the Captaincy.

So there was NO Choice for the Sens to make, Chara wanted out, and he got out.
I've heard similar to this before and have no reason to believe otherwise...

...except that there was no choice to be made. They just made it much earlier than they thought when they traded Hossa.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I've heard similar to this before and have no reason to believe otherwise...

...except that there was no choice to be made. They just made it much earlier than they thought when they traded Hossa.

perhaps, but we’ll never know for sure that management took that into consideration when the traded for Heatley…. if they did, and decided to roll the dice, and figured they could mend the fences with Chara, they underestimated his friendship with Hossa, and also his sense of business decisions made in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad