Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
New thread for Nikita

https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-zaitsev-offensive-output-2020-21/

When the Ottawa Senators acquired Nikita Zaitsev from the Toronto Maple Leafs in a six-player deal (with Toronto also receiving a 2020 third-round draft pick that was later dealt to the Los Angeles Kings), Ottawa was expecting a defensively aware player who could play the right side. His offensive skills were not the key selling point.

Zaitsev taking advantage of his starts in the offensive zone

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Never that good but never that bad.

He's the ideal wallpaper defenseman.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Underrated and has gotten way too much unfounded hate on these boards.

He definitely got unnecessary hate, but I think it had more to do with him being a former Leaf and the fact he never properly displayed what type of defenseman he is.

Most fans could never figure out if he was an offensive defenseman, a stay at home defenseman, a puck mover, a two-way...he just not very good at any one thing in particular so it made it very difficult to project his role.

I think he has settled in nicely and has almost become the Methot/Kuba to Chabot.

Reactions: Cosmix

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He definitely got unnecessary hate, but I think it had more to do with him being a former Leaf and the fact he never properly displayed what type of defenseman he is.

Most fans could never figure out if he was an offensive defenseman, a stay at home defenseman, a puck mover, a two-way...he just not very good at any one thing in particular so it made it very difficult to project his role.

I think he has settled in nicely and has almost become the Methot/Kuba to Chabot.

Not sure how anyone could dislike the deal. We got a #4 dman on a decent contract and GOT RID of Ceci.

The biggest bonus to me was that it meant no chance Dorion would overpay to keep Ceci around.

Solid trade

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
A Russian poster mentioned the legal issues he was going through last year aren't top of mind for Zaitsev anymore which is a good point as to why he might be playing better this season. Stress can do a lot to your mind.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure how anyone could dislike the deal. We got a #4 dman on a decent contract and GOT RID of Ceci.

The biggest bonus to me was that it meant no chance Dorion would overpay to keep Ceci around.

Solid trade
Ceci was and RFA, all we had to do to get rid of him was not qualify him.

The real question is could we have allocated the money for Zaitsev and Brown better by extending guys like DeMelo and through UFA.

I don't mind the deal but is probably see more value in Zaistev and Brown than those who hate the deal.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Solid top 4 guy. Good positioning, covers for his partner, has good mobility. Not much of an offensive threat but moves the puck decently. Likely to be on our bottom pair by the last year or two of his contract. The hate he gets here is ridiculous and speaks to some posters not being able to watch anything but the puck.

Reactions: Dionysus

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Zaitsev is ok as a 4/5 stop gap veteran. Maybe he is a little overpaid but since the average NHL salary is like 3.0, it wouldnt be by much anyway. Non issue. As the youth starts to take more place, there will be less pressure on him and Chabot.

Criticism is good, hate is ridiculous and it goes for any player or even anything else. I have criticized Dorion and DJ a lot recently but do I hate them? lol no, I'm not a frustrated teenager anymore. I don't even hate Melnyk even if I can't wait for him to sell the team. Haters are not very evolved IMO, some people seem to stay stucked in that for a long time unfortunately. Hate should be reserved for rapists, murderers, pedophiles, anti-maskers, etc, people that really hurt other people.

Curiosity is kinda what attracts me to keep reading the internet and also seeking information and valuable opinions but sometimes when you step back a little, it just looks like a big ranting place, people who are probably looking to reduce their own stress/emotional distress, maybe without really realizing it sometimes. But would you really see that in real life? Let's say we would be a few in the stands watching the team play, would people really start calling players names if they could be heard and identified by those said players? So easy to spill hate through the internet anonymity but in real life? Personally, I think we shouldn't say on the internet the things we wouldn't be able to say face to face/in real life.

It's ok to criticize players/etc, but to insult them, bash them, turn on them, hate them, go crusade on them, etc is really really wrong IMO. Pretty much like calling someone fat, g** or Racial Slur, etc. Like drinking and driving was banalized 25 years ago, I think it will eventually evolve. You can see already a lot of backlash from the damaged caused by internet anonymity

Last edited:

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
He looks more fluid and confident this season. Like it’s easier for him to pivot and move laterally.

I also like his presence in nurturing Zub - who clearly is a capable defender.

Could his contract even become a bargain? Wow.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
No issues at all if he settles in as Chabot's compliment longer term (i.e. a few years). Moves the puck well, good defensively and battles. The team has felt compelled to move him around to help others, but if another pair can settle down (i.e. Bran-Gudbran) then I think Chabot-Zaitsev is a terrific #1 pair, and Wolanin-Zub can be the 3rd pair.

Feeling much better about our D in the last week with Brannstrom and Zub in the lineup.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Zaitsev was absolutely terrible last season, the advanced stats support the eye test. Zaitsev has been a top 4 dman this season, once again the advanced stats supporting the eye test. If he keeps it up, could actually be a decent player for us.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Zaitsev was absolutely terrible last season, the advanced stats support the eye test. Zaitsev has been a top 4 dman this season, once again the advanced stats supporting the eye test. If he keeps it up, could actually be a decent player for us.

Which advance stats are you referring to ??

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ceci was and RFA, all we had to do to get rid of him was not qualify him.

The real question is could we have allocated the money for Zaitsev and Brown better by extending guys like DeMelo and through UFA.

I don't mind the deal but is probably see more value in Zaistev and Brown than those who hate the deal.
We didn’t lose Demelo because we couldn’t pay him. We lost him because we wouldn’t.
It’s hard to hate the deal. We got the two best players in the trade. One has a bad contract but it’s not egregious. In a year-two years time a team will take Zaitsev.

Reactions: Sweatred

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

I thought he was pretty decent last season actually.

He was surprisingly physical last season, I remember some insane hits where he would just blow people up. This season, he has been a much more smooth, offensive-minded skater.

Just who is the REAL Zaitsev?

R2010

May 23, 2011
Length of contract was always the kicker. four more years is too much. 2-3 wouldn't box out prospects too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad