Player Discussion Nikita Zaitsev (RD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Dorion and DJ are still in place, we'll do the usual one step forward two steps back. Mark my words, I have been right about this the last 3+ seasons.
Dorion mentioned today that he will be back for next season & when asked about DJ it was mentioned that they are both under contract for next yr. I guess you'll have another yr to wait on them unless new management does something different, but they might not be organized enough at that point to make any changes a few months before the start of the season. I think they both hang on for next yr, we'll see.

Reactions: Senovision

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
How many teams make their decisions on what their players want or don't want? Managers manage & players play. Did Chara leave because of Hossa being traded or did management think he couldn't play in the new NHL because of his lack of speed? They said they could only afford one Chara or Redden & they kept the wrong one in hindsight. I'm sure it happens elsewhere with players & the last sentence is irrational, we don't know what would have happened.

I liked Paul, always argued to keep him, but we could not have paid him what Tampa did. I also liked Brown & argued to keep him, but he wanted to test free agency & cash out. I don't blame him, he had a good yr & wanted to exploit it. Giroux IMO replaced him & is the better player, Pinto IMO replaced Paul & will be the better player. Joseph IMO is going to be a trading chip.

IMO we have a better team now with the additions of Giroux, DBC, the emergence of Stutzle, Sanderson & Pinto. Chychrun should help the team next season, so should a healthy Norris & Zub & Kleven looks like he could turn into a player. The future looks bright for this organization IMO while the team we had over the last number of yrs was growing stale & needed to be changed. We should have a much better group to start next season then we did to end this past season but they need to find a starting goalie.
Dorion has needed to find a starting goaltender for a few seasons now and gave us Murray and Talbot. Not a very good record.

Dorion mentioned today that he will be back for next season & when asked about DJ it was mentioned that they are both under contract for next yr. I guess you'll have another yr to wait on them unless new management does something different, but they might not be organized enough at that point to make any changes a few months before the start of the season. I think they both hang on for next yr, we'll see.
Dorion's intention is to be back next season and the one after that because he has a contract for those two seasons. The ownership change is going to be a factor on whether Dorion stays or not. It seems that Dorion will retain DJ and the coaching staff for the start of next season if he remains GM. I hope not though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dorion has needed to find a starting goaltender for a few seasons now and gave us Murray and Talbot. Not a very good record.
Murray came from a 2 time SC winning team where he played a little part to win two cups. Talbot cam from an all star selection yr, maybe not good enough for some, but it's still something in the best league in the world to be named to the all star team. You can't do anything about injuries, no one can predict them & this yr has been nuts using 7 in Ottawa & 9 or 10 in Belleville. Have you ever seen that before to a team?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Murray came from a 2 time SC winning team where he played a little part to win two cups. Talbot cam from an all star selection yr, maybe not good enough for some, but it's still something in the best league in the world to be named to the all star team. You can't do anything about injuries, no one can predict them & this yr has been nuts using 7 in Ottawa & 9 or 10 in Belleville. Have you ever seen that before to a team?
I think it would be another mistake to sign Talbot for next season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it would be another mistake to sign Talbot for next season.
Yes, that doesn't look like it's going to happen. I would like to see them go after Frederick Andersen, which goalie would you like to see them go after?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes, that doesn't look like it's going to happen. I would like to see them go after Frederick Andersen, which goalie would you like to see them go after?
I am not sure. I would prefer a young goaltender under age 30.

I might just go with Forsberg and Sogaard next season and then get a goaltender the following season when the cap situation changes.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Varlamov, Raanta, and Swayman ( if we could get him from Boston).
Those are 3 goalies that are interesting.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I am not sure. I would prefer a young goaltender under age 30.

I might just go with Forsberg and Sogaard next season and then get a goaltender the following season when the cap situation changes.
Do you think that would be a good enough tandem to be a playoff contender given the Forsberg injury to both knees & how Sogaard played at times?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Do you think that would be a good enough tandem to be a playoff contender given the Forsberg injury to both knees & how Sogaard played at times?
Yes I am concerned about Forsberg recovering from his injuries; if we could get a goaltender under age 30 at a decent trade price and salary, that would be better. I think Sogaard would improve over the season playing backup in the NHL. I think this two might be OK to make the playoffs if the team improves its D zone play. Becoming a SC contender will not occur next season.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Varlamov, Raanta, and Swayman ( if we could get him from Boston).
Those are 3 goalies that are interesting.
All good choices, with the number of UFAs in Boston it will be interesting what they do with their goaltending but they have a #1 set it seems. Raanta & Andersen are both 33 & Raanta has the cheaper contract again maybe whoever they re-sign we go after the other. Varlamov is 34 yrs old, I'm not sure about him.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad