Nikita Zaitsev isnt as bad as everyone thinks

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I think people just want certain players to be bad so they can come on here and act like they are smarter than anyone....
Honestly, that’s fine in the regular season but this is the playoffs, the LOGO is the most important thing, wishing a Leafs to a have a bad game is like wishing the Leafs to lose.
I love that we let them push us around in the regular season but now it's the playoffs we're swinging back solid post. Kinda like the no hit leafs (in the regular season) who seem to know what playoff hockey is all about now.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
How badly did you think he would play?

Hasn't he been on for 5 of the last 7 goals against in the last two games? The only ones I think he missed are the ENG last game and Chara's slightly flukey point shot. I'd look it up for the whole series but I'm not sure where to find boxscores listing players on the ice for goals anymore.

The PK has been really bad despite going 3/3 last night and that's where he's supposed to excel.

If you think Zaitsev has exceeded expectations then you need to expect more. If you want to give someone credit, how about Hainsey playing steady hockey within his limits?

Nah, I think I'll stick to Zaitsev exceeding expectation.

He was ripped on consistently here for his inconsistent and disappointing play all season.

Now he's our top pairing guy.

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
D is the toughest position. Your mistakes stick out no matter what, there's no escaping. Zaits is that kind of player. His mistakes are HUGE but when he plays well its also HUGE. I can't explain it any other way

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I find fault with all the defensemen.

Rielly made a good play on Kapanen's goal, but he often leaves me questioning if he thinks the game fast enough. He's kind of methodical, lacking that elite creativity, and coasts back to retrieve pucks.
Hainsey often fails to clear the puck on PK's, rather he turns clearing attempts into passes to the point.
Muzzin I don't have a lot of problem with as he seems to know who he is.
Dermott fails to make simple plays and gets himself and the team in trouble and under pressure because he wants to make a play when there is no play to be made.
Gardiner well that's pretty well a known really good really bad scenario.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Really hope the Leafs can finish this off and solidify the fact the Muzzin trade was a slam dunk for the team.

As for Zaitsev, he destroyed the Bruins last year as well and was near the top of the playoffs in hits/60.

Better goaltending and better forward support can do wonders for any dman though.
Yes, I don't think Muzzin's physicality is rubbing off, he played like this last year too.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
D is the toughest position. Your mistakes stick out no matter what, there's no escaping. Zaits is that kind of player. His mistakes are HUGE but when he plays well its also HUGE. I can't explain it any other way
You just described Gardiner not Zaitsev. There isnt much upside even when hes playing well other than physicality.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
You mean no upside besides essentially being the go-to guy against top competition and every tough defensive scenario?

I guess the HF philosophy will always be no production = useless.
go-to guy?? I mean hes on the shutdown unit at the moment but hes clearly the weak link on it. The reason we are shutting down the Bergeron line better this year is because of Tavares, Muzzin and Marners defensive development...Not Zaitsev lol.

If he was a defensive stud i would like him but he just isnt. Look at goals 2, 3 and 4 from game 4...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's been damn good with Muzzin but it's important not take a small 5-6 game sample size and make a big conclusion out of it. He was struggling for a long time through the regular season.

But let's hope that he turned a corner and he keeps playing like that.

Reactions: Kiwi and JEI

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I kinda love it that i was right about Zaitsev. The Gardiner-Zaitsev pairing does not work. But i liked Zs game with almost everybody else. The Muzzin-Zaitsev pair is such a beauty.

You and me are breathing rare air, I was saying and have been saying for quite some time that Zaitsev was not a bad defender, his issues were a direct result of playing with a partner that he was he was not well suited to play with. Z is no superstar but he is no 7th d-man either. He and Muz both play a conservative but in your face game. Z is better at the break outs, Muz is better at breaking down the cycle. I would not be disappointed to see those 2 as our 2nd pairing next year.

Reactions: teddygmr

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
You and me are breathing rare air, I was saying and have been saying for quite some time that Zaitsev was not a bad defender, his issues were a direct result of playing with a partner that he was he was not well suited to play with. Z is no superstar but he is no 7th d-man either. He and Muz both play a conservative but in your face game. Z is better at the break outs, Muz is better at breaking down the cycle. I would not be disappointed to see those 2 as our 2nd pairing next year.

I agree with this take. Z and Jake were a problem because Jake used the stretch pass way too much and it resulted in a turnover...that means they come right back into our zone and the cycle repeats. I just wish Z had a better freak out meter in his head. He seems to think he has .5 sec to get rid of the puck and ices it or makes a horrible pass when in reality he has more time. I like Muzzin with him...he makes good decisions and helps kill the cycle unlike Gards. I personally can't wait to see the next albatross of a contract Gards signs. He will not age well IMO.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Zaitsev has been very good in all of the games he has played away from Gardiner, again today with Dermott.

No need to trade him in my opinion, as hes a prime candidate to rebound with a new partner, and a good option for the Seattle draft.

then along came muzzin

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I agree with this take. Z and Jake were a problem because Jake used the stretch pass way too much and it resulted in a turnover...that means they come right back into our zone and the cycle repeats. I just wish Z had a better freak out meter in his head. He seems to think he has .5 sec to get rid of the puck and ices it or makes a horrible pass when in reality he has more time. I like Muzzin with him...he makes good decisions and helps kill the cycle unlike Gards. I personally can't wait to see the next albatross of a contract Gards signs. He will not age well IMO.
Funny this pair works so well yet everyone wanted to fire Babcock in the regular season. Seems like regular season was played by vets this year. Proven wrong if they loose to Boston. If they beat them they are gamers and they know they are prime time.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Zaitsev doesn't know how to make a pass, it's like he scared to make one in the NHL. It's hilarious. Literally will bank the puck off the boards even with multiple open pass options.

But he has been good pure defensively. Glad to see that. Better than the regular season, that is for sure.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

Muzzin has made more brainfarts than Gardiner in the regular season for us this regular season ... But sure.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
His game = dump the puck on D, wrist it towards net when on offense.

He's 2019 Jeff Finger.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Zaitsev is playing better paired with Muzzin for sure, but still panics at times in his own zone. and has trouble settling the puck down. Surprisingly, he hit Hyman with a beautiful stretch-pass before Matty's goal, so good on him and good for all of us. Joe Bowen's call courtesy of Goal Leafs Goal:

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
Zaitsev is playing better paired with Muzzin for sure, but still panics at times in his own zone. and has trouble settling the puck down. Surprisingly, he hit Hyman with a beautiful stretch-pass before Matty's goal, so good on him and good for all of us. Joe Bowen's call courtesy of Goal Leafs Goal:

Joe Bowen is an absolute Legend.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
For the ages, teams have had their Zaitsev like blueliners. It's usually a really good indication of how well the forwards are taking their defensive assignments to how much the Aki Bergs, Mike Komisareks, or Zaitsev's get ripped apart by fans. Remember watching Leaf forwards practically sitting on the boards looking a their 6th defenseman in disgust wondering why if Kaberle can make 89 foot passes why can't they?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Does he look like a 4.5 mill defenseman? Or is he a player that if the playoffs build his value over being - , should be gone know questions asked?

I feel that 4.5 is better spent elsewhere, considering we have Rosen, and potentially liljegren and Sandin waiting... also Muzzin hopefully will re-sign.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
His panic threshold with the puck makes his passing game even worse but has shown the willingess to muck it up and sacrifice the body. Still need to move on from this contract when convenient but not the burning tire fire he was earlier in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad