Nikita Zaitsev isnt as bad as everyone thinks

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
I understand the dislike towards the guy, had a great rookie season, and signed a long term contract, last two years have been pretty rough. I honestly think he still is a good defense in my option though. I think last night in Tampa was one of his best games in a long time with two points, had his feet moving and made some nice defensive plays too. Do I like his contract and where hes at? No, but is he as bad as EVERYONE thinks? Not a chance. If he can play like he did last night more often I think the hate will slowly start to fad.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
He is best buddies with sda.

I understand the dislike towards the guy, had a great rookie season, and signed a long term contract, last two years have been pretty rough. I honestly think he still is a good defense in my option though. I think last night in Tampa was one of his best games in a long time with two points, had his feet moving and made some nice defensive plays too. Do I like his contract and where hes at? No, but is he as bad as EVERYONE thinks? Not a chance. If he can play like he did last night more often I think the hate will slowly start to fad.

Can you elaborate on how he is a good defenseman?

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Has a great first season with us and then Babcock tries to turn him into a shutdown dman of some sort...

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He genuinely is our worst D. He has dragged every partner he has played with down. Panics with the puck, misses the net on every shot, and the only thing defensively he's good for is breaking up a cycle; otherwise his man to man coverage is also sub par.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
I think his core skills are alright but for some reason he hasn't progressed or even maintained what he brought in his first season. You would expect at least some improvement as he got accustomed to the league, but the opposite seems to have happened. He looks like he's thinking too much and trying to avoid making a mistake all the time. In his first season he looked like he was just going with it, playing on instinct, jumping into the rush etc. The offence was the reason he got the money he did and that's just evaporated completely.

ocrighton

Oct 23, 2008

He's been better lately but he's still good for a awful give away every now and then. Can't move the puck (again, been a bit better lately) and allows opponents to gain the zone too easily. Definitely not worth his contract and should probably be a 3rd pairing d.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's been better lately but he's still good for a awful give away every now and then. Can't move the puck (again, been a bit better lately) and allows opponents to gain the zone too easily. Definitely not worth his contract and should probably be a 3rd pairing d.
Lately being 1 game against TB? He was a tire fire the week or two before that and meh last night

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
He's worse than everyone thinks. Once he's traded to the Oilers he'll be another one of those additions by subtraction of 20 icings per game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Someone on TSN touched on this recently when analyzing how Leafs defensemen are coached to step up to the rush and force the stretch pass, but those two areas seem to be where Zaitsev is failing the most. His stretch pass is terrible and he handles the puck like a grenade. Has he been asked to play at a pace which he isn't comfortable with?

I notice the Leafs are still trying to beat teams with overwhelming speed, but it forces the D to make terrible outlet passes with low percentage success, which also causes a lot of turnovers. Need to reassess this aspect of the transition game as it hurts the team and may not be suited for individual players.

Having said that, Zaitsev is often quite terrible and I wouldn't miss him if he were gone.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
He plays with tunnel vision these days and relies entirely on throwing it up or down the boards. He needs to slow down and play with some composure.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Last night he seemed to have more confidence and tried to make some plays, which is unfortunate because he is still completely incompetent with the puck.

Dubas' toughest job is going to be finding someone dumb enough to take his awful contract. I don't know if Babcock is trying to showcase him by giving him 25+ minutes a night but it's not working.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Zaitsev is honestly the worst puck mover on this team. His constant shooting the puck along the baords as a substitue for a breakout is so damn annoying. He is terrible. Only thing he is good at is being physical down low, other than that he has played like the worst dman on this team.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I wouldn't mind seeing him on the PP. Could use a bomb from the point, and I heard he has a good one. I just never seen it. Who knows maybe he can pick up a few points and make himself look more attractive to other GM's for a trade.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
From about Nov 15th to about Jan 10th, he was actually doing very well.

But before and since has been awful. Just awful.

Again though, USAGE. Babcock is trying to use him as a guy who starts 60-70% of the time in the neutral or defensive zones, when he's not that guy.

Put him with Rielly, who starts 60-70% of his starts in the Ozone, and Zaitsev would actually be better because we aren't asking him to exit the zone, when it's clear he struggles at that.

Have Gardiner-Dermott be the "defensive exit" pairing. Two strong puck movers, even if Gardiner likes to toss pizzas.

I'm a big fan of Babcock, I generally give him the benefit of the doubt, but the usage of the defense is mind-boggling to me.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
i dont mind him if he plays on our 3rd pairing and plays the PK. yes he is overpaid but i agree he is still a nhl caliber player just on the defenesive side and no offensive game at all. He reminds me of anton volchenckov or whatever his name was on the Devils who blocked all those shots.

It's not his fault babcock plays him with gardiner on the 2nd pairing. If he was on the third i think we wouldnt notice him as much in a good way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->