Proposal: Nikita Zaitsev for Kris Russell

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
I am the OP and I wouldn't brag about working in sales, or polishing a the **** that is Zaitsev
I don't work in sales and you obviously missed my point. If you're a Toronto fan trying to peddle Zaitsev you're not doing a very good job, if you're an Oiler fan and this is based off of your opinion why would you want him? If you're impartial I think it's a swing and a miss.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I don't work in sales and you obviously missed my point. If you're a Toronto fan trying to peddle Zaitsev you're not doing a very good job, if you're an Oiler fan and this is based off of your opinion why would you want him? If you're impartial I think it's a swing and a miss.
..... ..... Yes, your point wasn't subtle, I'm a Leafs fan that operates in reality and proposed what I see as fair value and mutually beneficial not trying to sell anything.

Really enjoy your insight though, thank you.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
..... ..... Yes, your point wasn't subtle, I'm a Leafs fan that operates in reality and proposed what I see as fair value and mutually beneficial not trying to sell anything.

Ignoring your opinion for a second that it's fair value. Let's assume for a second that it is.

If you're a leafs fan, then you'd be wary of Kris Russell's NMC and the position it would put the leafs in when the next expansion draft comes around in 2 years. Or are you incapable of thinking that far ahead?

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008

You made a proposal, you're trying to deal a player, you then go on to tell us how horrible said player is. Do you think that's a good way to sell another team on your player?
I think most Leafs fans are willing to see what he does this year, and it doesn't seem like Oilers fans are interested.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ignoring your opinion for a second that it's fair value. Let's assume for a second that it is.

If you're a leafs fan, then you'd be wary of Kris Russell's NMC and the position it would put the leafs in when the next expansion draft comes around in 2 years. Or are you incapable of thinking that far ahead?

Mostly just having fun watching the infighting but worth mentioning after this season Russell can be asked for a 10 or 15 (don’t recall) list of teams he’d accept a trade to. Won’t affect expansion.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Mostly just having fun watching the infighting but worth mentioning after this season Russell can be asked for a 10 or 15 (don’t recall) list of teams he’d accept a trade to. Won’t affect expansion.

NTC and NMC are different. A NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE prevents a player from being waived or sent to the minors without his permission and to being exposed in an expansion draft. Russell has both a limited NTC and a NMC.

Have fun with that.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Russell is probably overpaid by 1.5M which isn't the end of the world because he's a decent D man. Zaitsev is a risky add with his 6 years (13 pts in 60 games from an offensive D is concerning)... I'd probably pass from the Oilers side

Reactions: connormcmuffin

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Russell is probably overpaid by 1.5M which isn't the end of the world because he's a decent D man. Zaitsev is a risky add with his 6 years (13 pts in 60 games from an offensive D is concerning)... I'd probably pass from the Oilers side
He's not that talented offensively, he's of the Cody Franson vein of wristing a pray through traffic and getting fluke point.

Nothing sustainable. Again his underlying number show nothing to suggest he'll breakout.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
NTC and NMC are different. A NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE prevents a player from being waived or sent to the minors without his permission and to being exposed in an expansion draft. Russell has both a limited NTC and a NMC.

Have fun with that.

Your understanding is incorrect. Once a NTC/NMC is waived, the team receiving the player in question can choose to honour the original deal or not. If you don’t want to, you don’t have to.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He's not that talented offensively, he's of the Cody Franson vein of wristing a pray through traffic and getting fluke point.

Nothing sustainable. Again his underlying number show nothing to suggest he'll breakout.

I didn’t really realize how bad his underlying numbers are. I looked. Ouch.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
How was he dependable in his rookie year.

Rielly flourished this year because they took Zaitsev off his pairing. Gardiner flourished this year after Zaitsev was injured.

Proposing this deal because Zaitsev has a nightmare term on his contract and there may still be a window to cut losses.
So why do you want him if his contract is so bad?
Your cap situation sucks.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Connor McMuffin is a Leaf fan, not an Oiler fan. The Oilers fans in this thread do not want Zaitsev. We’d maybe take him for free or very cheap, but we hardly want him ‘so bad’.
Let's hear McLovin's reasoning. It started the thread.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
25-26 year old Stone? Just looking at it statistically, the numbers are quite similar. In Calgary Stone actually turned to stone, but back then he was a serviceable defenseman for the Yotes.

Regardless, I'd probably do it just because of the handedness.

He was serviceable only when he played with OEL though. No matter where else he's played he's been well below replacement.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Let's hear McLovin's reasoning. It started the thread.
Leafs fan, the reasoning is in the original post, teams swap problem defenseman. Zaitsev's being good on the PK and RHD could provide utility to Edmonton.

I feel the Leafs have a narrow window to get out this Jeff Finger like contract. Actually this deal is a lot worse than Finger.

Don't think asking for Russell who has his own short comings is unreasonable but I understand Edmonton saying no.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Connor McMuffin is a Leaf fan, not an Oiler fan. The Oilers fans in this thread do not want Zaitsev. We’d maybe take him for free or very cheap, but we hardly want him ‘so bad’.
I'd rather a conditional 7th over Russell if you'd prefer.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017

Except Franson can play. He just can’t skate at all anymore. If he could skate at a poor to moderate nhl level he probably would be a middle pair guy.

But the guy has wheels that Hal Gill and Doug Murray would say where slow.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017

Attachments

• B2AF71BD-C592-4846-B1DD-E50DCB0D7B83.jpeg
    B2AF71BD-C592-4846-B1DD-E50DCB0D7B83.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 6

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Zaitsev for Russell

Edmonton gets an RHD that can help a terrible PK

Leafs get out of the longer term of Zaitsev contract and shave 0.5 million in cap room

Leafs need to keep decent 5v5 players that can PK so they don’t find themselves dressing specialty players like Polak who’s only talent is to flip the puck out of the defensive zone. So Leafs trading someone away to help someone else’s PK does not make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad