Proposal: Nikita Zaitsev for Kris Russell

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Disagree. Zaitsev brings nothing we need and doesn’t do anything especially well.

Russell is at least physical and blocks shots.

Well I guess you didnt watch him one year ago.

Last season he had multiple injuries which affected him game. Going to rebound big time. And wow, Russell block shots. Woooow.

But oh well, there is no trade to be made and Leafs fans are very happy with it. Glad you are too.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs say No

Zaitsev will bounce back, he had a lot going on last season

He is a legitimate top 4 d-man

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Last season he had multiple injuries which affected him game. Going to rebound big time. And wow, Russell block shots. Woooow.

But oh well, there is no trade to be made and Leafs fans are very happy with it. Glad you are too.

Zaitsev wasn’t that good in his ‘good’ season either. I don’t want him. Plenty of Leafs fans think he sucks too.

Russell is serviceable and brings an element we need. Isn’t signed until the end of time either.

Last edited by a moderator:

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He isnt that bad lol
25-26 year old Stone? Just looking at it statistically, the numbers are quite similar. In Calgary Stone actually turned to stone, but back then he was a serviceable defenseman for the Yotes.

Regardless, I'd probably do it just because of the handedness.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
You think so, huh?

Well, Larsson did score those two goals in the playoffs. So he may be definitively better. Just like Draisaitl was worth $2 million more than Pastrnak because of that one playoff series.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Zaitsev wasn’t that good in his ‘good’ season either. I don’t want him. Plenty of Leafs fans think he sucks too.

Russell is serviceable and brings an element we need. Isn’t signed until the end of time either.

Didn’t realize I was talking to his father though so as you were Zaitsev Sr.
I'm sure a western Canadian Oiler fan watched a ton of Leaf games 1 year ago to form that opinion.

If a 36 point rookie season with heavy PK minutes isn't impressive, not sure what is. Mobile, two-way RHD who put up 36 points, can PK and engage physically are not being sold for a 31 year old Kris "own goal" Russell.

Since his rookie year, he's been used by Babcock as a shut down PKer, despite being a natural offensive D. This season he suffered a concussion, caught a severe virus, and broke his foot, all at different points in the year. Odds are that doesn't happen next season...

You have the talent evaluating skills akin to your team's GM.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well, Larsson did score those two goals in the playoffs. So he may be definitively better. Just like Draisaitl was worth $2 million more than Pastrnak because of that one playoff series.
Larsson also played strict defensive assignments against other teams' top offensive threats and he came out ahead. Larsson was one of the Oilers' MVPs in 16-17. The Oilers don't expect a lot of points out of him.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Zaitsev being a RHD and showing ability to produce is nice and all but we can't afford to add cap and term.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
He was very dependable in his rookie year.

Why would Toronto trade a RHD without one coming back?

Keep Russel and his contract. $500K doesn't mean anything to Toronto but it means something to Edmonton.
How was he dependable in his rookie year.

Rielly flourished this year because they took Zaitsev off his pairing. Gardiner flourished this year after Zaitsev was injured.

Proposing this deal because Zaitsev has a nightmare term on his contract and there may still be a window to cut losses.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Because players with multiple injuries always rebound big time. Good to know.

Not a fan of either team, but Russell > Zaitsev.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I'm sure a western Canadian Oiler fan watched a ton of Leaf games 1 year ago to form that opinion.

If a 36 point rookie season with heavy PK minutes isn't impressive, not sure what is. Mobile, two-way RHD who put up 36 points, can PK and engage physically are not being sold for a 31 year old Kris "own goal" Russell.

Since his rookie year, he's been used by Babcock as a shut down PKer, despite being a natural offensive D. This season he suffered a concussion, caught a severe virus, and broke his foot, all at different points in the year. Odds are that doesn't happen next season...

You have the talent evaluating skills akin to your team's GM.
More than half of his points were secondary assists, he had PP time on the league's second place PP that year with also inflated his numbers. All those points disappeared the following year when his PP was taken away.

As for the PK, Maricin was good on the PK, Polak and Hunwick... PK skill is a marginal talent.

Zaitsev was in the bottom third of the league for zone exits and denying zone entries.

How was that a 'good year'

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
More than half of his points were secondary assists, he had PP time on the league's second place PP that year with also inflated his numbers. All those points disappeared the following year when his PP was taken away.

As for the PK, Maricin was good on the PK, Polak and Hunwick... PK skill is a marginal talent.

Zaitsev was in the bottom third of the league for zone exits and denying zone entries.

How was that a 'good year'
I'm guessing you don't work in sales. No to the op from Toronto, hopefully Zaitsev turns things around this year.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Russell is just vastly overpaid. He’s a fine bottom pair D. Zaitsev - I have no interest in regardless of contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad