Nikita Zadorov

Status
Not open for further replies.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Avs still need to get a defenseman for this season, as of right now the Avs are a worse team than one that missed the playoffs last season.

its clearly been stated that one reason for the trade was to free up cap space. management is not done polishing the team for next season. that should be obvious at this point.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
its clearly been stated that one reason for the trade was to free up cap space. management is not done polishing the team for next season. that should be obvious at this point.

But at the same time its a crap shoot. What if a good UFA D man just doesn't want to come here. not much we can do.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Before last season Zadorov and Ristolainen were considered to be on the same level as far as upside goes on the Sabres board. I don't think a lot has changed in one year, even though Ristolainen seems to have found that first pairing upside earlier.

The scale might tip back as defensemen many times tend to have their ups and downs before their game gets more consistency along with the experience.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
But at the same time its a crap shoot. What if a good UFA D man just doesn't want to come here. not much we can do.

We would have to be really cheap to not land a top D man this season.
There is literally a top 4 role waiting for you and likely a 1st pairing role next to EJ if you sign and we have a young and talented core.

We can always trade our 2nd we got back from Sharks for another "Stuart". :yo:

:(

Don't ever joke about that. EVER! Knock on wood dammit!
I can't even... I fear this every day. After the Orpik nonsense and the actual Stuart trade... Thank God we hired a hockey guy assistant GM.

I think we land at least one top guy.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I just hope we are patient with him.

He has some immaturity issues and he is nowhere near the finished product.

He just married.

60967906060606_-_zadorov_.jpg

So, yeah, be patient, let the man enjoy his honeymoon before you declare him a bust.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hopefully she likes Denver,

We would have to be really cheap to not land a top D man this season.
There is literally a top 4 role waiting for you and likely a 1st pairing role next to EJ if you sign and we have a young and talented core.

These things set us up for disappointment. Some guys will not play out of the east or a big market. Money isn't everything. You just never know.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We might not get our top choice, but we should be able to get one of the top 3. We've got the money, the opportunity, and we should actually be competitive.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He just married.

60967906060606_-_zadorov_.jpg

So, yeah, be patient, let the man enjoy his honeymoon before you declare him a bust.

What?
Where did I declare him a bust?

I am just saying that we should be patient and not expect a freaking 20 year old defenseman from Russia to solve our defensive woes right away.
That is unreasonable IMO and will very much hurt his development.

I am a big fan of what he could become for us but I also realize that we must not take his development for granted and act carefully with him.

I have seen the pic. Good for him. Maybe that helps with his immaturity issues.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Hopefully she likes Denver,

These things set us up for disappointment. Some guys will not play out of the east or a big market. Money isn't everything. You just never know.

Yes but that is a rare situation. In most cases the money and the team will factor in more than the market or coast unless it's a family issue.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that UFA is the first time most players get to call all of the shots and a lot of them love to explore the process.
But the bigger factor is more likely to be how far away from being a true cup contender the player perceives us to be if the money is similar or greater.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Which is why it makes no sense to me why it's not ok for Zadorov to be. But whatever, we'll see what windfall we get on Wednesday and go from there.

Cause he is 2 month younger than Bigras and probably would have also spent the last 2 years in junior if not for that:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...rt-thinking-more-about-zadorov-situation-now/

He has been impressive but development especially for young players (especially on D) is not linear. Just look at Mac last year.

The worst thing we can do is that we ask too much of him which would lead to him sucking and losing confidence. Just look at EJ to see how important confidence is for a D and his development.
I want him to reach his gigantic upside and not top out as a #3/4 just because we rushed his development because he was the main piece coming back for ROR.

If he forces his way into our top 4 than great but I really don't want him to play next to Barrie right off the bat.

He simply is not ready yet to be a top-4 D on a playoff team right now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I understand all that but he wasn't brought here to be a prospect, he was brought here to be in the top 4. That's what the return for O'Reilly was always contingent upon was getting that key piece on D back. They were never going to take a package of all futures. If I'm wrong and they end up with two more top 4 D on Wednesday then it changes things but to expect them to add three new D on the left side and just magically dump all the crap in San Antonio is unrealistic. I know I'm being a pain but I'm honestly horrified at what the fallout is going to be around here after so many great moves over just completely unrealistic expectations.

Sure it would be lovely if we could even send Zadorov to San Antonio for proper development in a perfect world. This is what we've wanted for YEARS is someone with talent to play on our team but now it's not ok because he's too young. Yet Bigras or Siemens playing in the top 4 is a perfectly acceptable idea. He's a NhL player, he's proved that. If he needs some sheltering that's fine but that's the spot he's going to occupy on our roster. If you'd rather see Holden play more minutes then that's fine.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I understand all that but he wasn't brought here to be a prospect, he was brought here to be in the top 4. That's what the return for O'Reilly was always contingent upon was getting that key piece on D back. They were never going to take a package of all futures. If I'm wrong and they end up with two more top 4 D on Wednesday then it changes things but to expect them to add three new D on the left side and just magically dump all the crap in San Antonio is unrealistic. I know I'm being a pain but I'm honestly horrified at what the fallout is going to be around here after so many great moves over just completely unrealistic expectations.

Well than I simply don't understand those expectations.
I believed that Zadorov was brought in to be a major building block and core piece going forward. He is a key piece and a pretty safe bet to be atleast a top4 D in the future. Just not necessarily next season. I mean he could be but we sure as hell should not count on it.

I never believed that he would be the savior of our putrid D starting at training camp. I think his real impact will be felt in 1-2 years if his development goes according to the plan.

Zadorov - Barrie could be great in the future. I believe it could also be a terrible mess next season. Two very young players who have not completely figured out the defensive side of the game who both love to jump in and rush the puck ? Could be ugly.

Top pairing next to EJ getting the toughest matchups and hardest minutes ? Could also get ugly.

Since we know about getting Zadorov, I have absolutely wanted Hejda back on a 1 yr deal (very cheap 2 yr deal at most) to play next to Barrie.

Add one of Ehrhoff/Martin to play with EJ (assuming that Sekera is not gettable) and things should look good for next season.

Zadorov still would be a huge upgrade to Holden/Guenin/Redmond on the third pairing (he also should complement Stuart pretty well and he could learn a ton from him) and certainly get enough PP time.

X - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Zadorov - Stuart
Holden/Redmond

That is what I want to see and I truely believe it would be the best solution for all parties involved.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
But isnt the plan for Zads to become a top 4 and not be used as one now. BUF did that and he struggled.

At least give the kid till Dec. before you drop 20+ minutes in his lap

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
At least we've all pumped the brakes on Bigras being a top 4 by opening night.

When the talent level is as low as it has been. Anyone looks better in the top 4 than what we were trotting out there.
Is it so horrible to ask that we be able to see consistent stick handling and defensive positioning from the top 4 instead of just EJ or just Barrie or just Hejda at times.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not going to get into the role and blah blah, that's not what my point is even really about. They might do different things with him, I don't know. There will be one LD better than Zadorov on this roster on opening night in all likelihood, that's what I'm saying.

Buffalo used him all over the place, as a 7-8 D, scratched. That's not going to be the case here.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'm not going to get into the role and blah blah, that's not what my point is even really about. They might do different things with him, I don't know. There will be one LD better than Zadorov on this roster on opening night in all likelihood, that's what I'm saying.

Well that probably is true. It also is very hard to evaluate how good a young gun like Zadorov is currently in comparison to vets like Hejda.

Regardless. I still hope that he will start off on the third pairing next to Stuart with a guy like Hejda playing next to Barrie. That is all I am saying.

I want him to become an absolute stud and if that means that we have to take things slow with him, we better do exactly that.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Well than I simply don't understand those expectations.
I believed that Zadorov was brought in to be a major building block and core piece going forward. He is a key piece and a pretty safe bet to be atleast a top4 D in the future. Just not necessarily next season. I mean he could be but we sure as hell should not count on it.

I never believed that he would be the savior of our putrid D starting at training camp. I think his real impact will be felt in 1-2 years if his development goes according to the plan.

Zadorov - Barrie could be great in the future. I believe it could also be a terrible mess next season. Two very young players who have not completely figured out the defensive side of the game who both love to jump in and rush the puck ? Could be ugly.

Top pairing next to EJ getting the toughest matchups and hardest minutes ? Could also get ugly.

Since we know about getting Zadorov, I have absolutely wanted Hejda back on a 1 yr deal (very cheap 2 yr deal at most) to play next to Barrie.

Add one of Ehrhoff/Martin to play with EJ (assuming that Sekera is not gettable) and things should look good for next season.

Zadorov still would be a huge upgrade to Holden/Guenin/Redmond on the third pairing (he also should complement Stuart pretty well and he could learn a ton from him) and certainly get enough PP time.

X - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Zadorov - Stuart
Holden/Redmond

That is what I want to see and I truely believe it would be the best solution for all parties involved.
Forgot about Hejda. I'm on your page.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Zadorov is a top 4 D already. Not a phenomenal one, but since he has top 2 potential he has spurts of greatness. I'll take those spurts even though there will be some growing pains at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad