You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
mJ5IAaT.jpg

Zesus Christ

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

*Outsiders opinion on Z, shamelessly stolen from TMV's twitter

It took two years, we knew it would, but that ROR trade is finally starting to look good for us. I expected this from Z, Compher has surpassed all my expectations at this point and looks to be getting better and better.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Last 7 games (Avs are 4-2-1)
21:26 Average Ice
+7
5 points
25 hits
20 blocked shots

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Zadorov himself could make the deal a win for us. And then add in JTC, Greer, Morrison and Smirnov.

JTC and Z especially, but Greer could be a nice piece to have and who knows with the other two.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I love me some big Z. He is quickly becoming my favorite player. Just playing perfectly recently.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Last night was probably his weakest game with the puck lately and he still managed to crush the opposition. His puck play is the biggest improvement so far, but he’s been borderline dominant in the defensive zone.

He finished the calender year of 2017 with a 51.86Cf% in 54 games. That’s a pretty big sample size, and the slower start to the year actually brings it down. He doesn’t get easy minutes either.

Reactions: McMetal

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I honestly think he’s been our best dman in the last 10 or so games. If he can continue to develop his offensive game he will become a force and our top pair dman for the next decade (hopefully). I just hope he doesn’t raise his offensive play to high before we sign him long term.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I honestly think he’s been our best dman in the last 10 or so games. If he can continue to develop his offensive game he will become a force and our top pair dman for the next decade (hopefully). I just hope he doesn’t raise his offensive play to high before we sign him long term.
Yeah I agree that he's been our best defenseman over the last few weeks.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The Avalanche as a team have a CF of 46.26% while ahead. (it's not as awful as you think. Most teams are weaker here because the other team is generally pushing the attack when trailing. Avs are middle of the pack (15th).

Nikita Zadorov on the other hand is at 54.30% when the Avs are ahead. This is beyond impressive. The guy is pushing all the time. no lead is safe and according to the numbers he is doing an incredible job is preventing other teams from coming back.

He's doing this with an Ozone start percentage of 38%. He's facing top competition every night since the beginning of December. He's a f***ing mutant.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Avalanche as a team have a CF of 46.26% while ahead. (it's not as awful as you think. Most teams are weaker here because the other team is generally pushing the attack when trailing. Avs are middle of the pack (15th).

Nikita Zadorov on the other hand is at 54.30% when the Avs are ahead. This is beyond impressive. The guy is pushing all the time. no lead is safe and according to the numbers he is doing an incredible job is preventing other teams from coming back.

He's doing this with an Ozone start percentage of 38%. He's facing top competition every night since the beginning of December. He's a ****ing mutant.

Haha mutant indeed. Guys from the other team are more aware of when Z is out there. I think it was last game when Lee was going for a loose puck and was about to reach for it until he looked up and saw Z barreling down on him. Lee gave up on the puck altogether. Lee is no hobbit and even he said hell no and bailed on the play.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Z has been playing really well of late. He still needs to cut some of the turnovers out of his game, but if he continues like this to close out the season, it will go a long ways to correcting the issue the Avs have had on defense for years. Consistency has been and will be the key for him. He has the raw talent to be a top end D, just has to keep it all together.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Z has been playing really well of late. He still needs to cut some of the turnovers out of his game, but if he continues like this to close out the season, it will go a long ways to correcting the issue the Avs have had on defense for years. Consistency has been and will be the key for him. He has the raw talent to be a top end D, just has to keep it all together.
I hate to keep disagreeing with you because we're eye to eye on most things, but I disagree with you lol. But I'm doing it with the most respect.

In those last 22 games (this mark is used because it's when he returned from his scratch) Zadorov has 8 giveaways. In that time frame 100 NHL defenseman have played 400 minutes or more. Of those 100 defenseman Zadorov has the 8th LEAST giveaways. One defenseman has 5, two have 6 and four have 7.

And again, I think this consistency thing is completely non-existent. Once he got trusted mintues last year (approaching Janaury 2017) every single part of his game went up. there were no falls in his game. Consistency was his blessing. Then he got hurt and he had a rough first month of 2017/18 (which could be part of his injury/late showing up to camp or whatever it was). Since then he has been his consistent self again. I cant comment on what happened in Buffalo and maybe that has a lot to do with why you worry about consistency. But he's been consistent since becoming an Av.

He's starting in his own zone, he's pushing the play the other way, he's terrorizing people from even considering entering the Avalanche zone, he isn't turning over the puck and he's even putting up points. And he's doing this consistently. I'm defending him a lot I know, but it's because he's been a total package for the Avalanche in basically every game he's played in the last 13 months with the exception of the month of October 2017 which was his first month of hockey after a pretty rough injury and missed training camp.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I hate to keep disagreeing with you because we're eye to eye on most things, but I disagree with you lol. But I'm doing it with the most respect.

In those last 22 games (this mark is used because it's when he returned from his scratch) Zadorov has 8 giveaways. In that time frame 100 NHL defenseman have played 400 minutes or more. Of those 100 defenseman Zadorov has the 8th LEAST giveaways. One defenseman has 5, two have 6 and four have 7.

And again, I think this consistency thing is completely non-existent. Once he got trusted mintues last year (approaching Janaury 2017) every single part of his game went up. there were no falls in his game. Consistency was his blessing. Then he got hurt and he had a rough first month of 2017/18 (which could be part of his injury/late showing up to camp or whatever it was). Since then he has been his consistent self again. I cant comment on what happened in Buffalo and maybe that has a lot to do with why you worry about consistency. But he's been consistent since becoming an Av.

He's starting in his own zone, he's pushing the play the other way, he's terrorizing people from even considering entering the Avalanche zone, he isn't turning over the puck and he's even putting up points. And he's doing this consistently. I'm defending him a lot I know, but it's because he's been a total package for the Avalanche in basically every game he's played in the last 13 months with the exception of the month of October 2017 which was his first month of hockey after a pretty rough injury and missed training camp.

I don't think the NHL (and especially the Avs group) is real good at tracking those stats. The Avs group is pretty well known to be very aggressive at handing out takeaways, but very lenient on giveaways. It takes something pretty blatant for them to handout a giveaway, especially to a defensemen. There were a couple not counted on Z last game that were pretty clear to me, but I'm not counting the stats. The turnovers are not incredibly major, but they are there in his game and are one of the few things he needs to clean up in his recent play.

You're a pretty big stats guy... I think recency bias is happening a bit on his 22 games. The last 10, have been phenomenal games... not a single doubt about it. The previous 10 were hit and miss. I'm not huge on stats telling the whole story, but the recent sections are large outliers on his graphs... especially when you look at his past years. And his graphs are a bit erratic in general. If this is the new Z, this is awesome and he will shut up all doubters. If this is a hot streak and he returns more to his normal, the consistency argument will still be there. If Z keeps this up to finish the season, I will completely shut up on consistency... I think I just like a much larger sample size than most.

zadorni95

His 16-17 graph has as similar up and down, finishing up thing going on too
zadorni95

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
@henchman24

The recency bias is strong no doubt. Hard not to be when it's this much fun watching a freak of nature play with a bunch of boys. But what I'm saying is that this play dates back to last season. Like November/December of last season. That's why I'm arguing that the consistency is there. It's not a new thing of the last 2 months. It's from the last 13 months minus one rough one.

Also, I have no idea where to go for these charts lol. But does a chart exist that shows his CF% Relative over the course of time. I'm interested to see that. And I think relative stats need to be used especially in the 16/17 season.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
@henchman24

The recency bias is strong no doubt. Hard not to be when it's this much fun watching a freak of nature play with a bunch of boys. But what I'm saying is that this play dates back to last season. Like November/December of last season. That's why I'm arguing that the consistency is there. It's not a new thing of the last 2 months. It's from the last 13 months minus one rough one.

I'm saying the numbers don't match up to that, and IMO, the eye test doesn't either (I think he had a strong 20-25 game finish last year and is in the midst of a 10-15 game streak now). When Z is on his game, he looks every part of the top pairing defender he has the talent to be. When he is off his game he is a bit of a hot mess. Look at the smoothed shots numbers in those graphs... he is a peak and valley player there still. And all players are to an extent, the top players tend to not have as aggressive of swings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad