Nikita Tryamkin III : 2017 Calder, Marriage & Conditioning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I'm expecting him to become a fixture on the 3rd pairing and eat up some PK minutes.

He's progressed pretty well last year. Looked pretty rough in his first game but started to settle in a bit. He's got some untapped offensive potential too but it would be foolish to expect much to come of that yet.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Steady third-pairing d-man who can throw the odd big hit, make an average first-pass, and play solid D. He meets those expectations, we should all be pretty happy.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
He'll be one of 5 guys competing for the 3rd pairing. Larsen is an unknown, Biega is expendable and likely waived, Pedan needs more evaluation and Sbisa has been evaluated enough. He'll get a decent chance to take the next step. HF will :rant:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Steady third-pairing d-man who can throw the odd big hit, make an average first-pass, and play solid D. He meets those expectations, we should all be pretty happy.

Agreed...and then you have to remember the guys he's potentially replacing ....Bartkowski, Weber and possibly Biega who ends up back in Utica...so these aren't 'gigantic' skates to fill.

James Underbuss*

Mar 3, 2016
Mods getting more militant as the season approaches.

He's going to exceed everyone's expectations, by a large margin. Except for mine. I expect him to achieve legitimate Legendary Status by 2030.

Love how under-hyped he is by most Canuck Fans. Bodes well for his future.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
I was really encouraged by his play in his own zone, using his size effectively. I would expect more of that, and for him to be in better shape. I'd have him as my #5, but in reality it will be Sbisa's spot. So, in a way, I'm hoping for a Sbisa - Tryamkin pairing...:m-eek:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Based on last year he should probably spend the year in Utica. If Tryamkin of last year plays regularly in the lineup, especially in a lineup as bad as the Canucks, the team is not going reach the playoffs.

He needs to play a lot to improve and when he's the #6-7 guy that's not going to happen. But we'll see what he does in camp. If he outplays Larsen (maybe?) and Biega (probably not?), then he could stick up. Don't see that happening though.

This. Except he'll rather go back to Russia than play in Utica, unless he changed his mind on that.

He has the talent to play in the NHL but is the most overhyped player Vancouver has had in a while (mostly just because he's a Russian giant and that's fun). The tools are there, but he's very raw and struggled mightily in parts of his 13 games last season.

I'm definitely excited to see what he can do, but I'm not too hopeful. The European assignment clause is a kick in the butt for the Canucks, as they want to have him in NA and playing, but he might not quite be ready for a full-time role.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Time for Jimbo to start earning his GM money.

Ghost, Parayko or Severson.

ZBZbRYy.png

Nko9fuq.png

kgyZqX1.png

Qqg7Fc7.png

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm expecting a significant defensive disruptor back there for us this year in the half court.

His reach was surprisingly disrupting and he covers A LOT of space.
I was also impressed with his decision making.

He makes bodies in front of the net his priority and doesn't get into chasing players into the corners and half walls... at least he didn't in his sampling last season.

I'm scared of his mobility if/when he gets caught in transition flat footed. I'm expecting him to get beat a few times to the outside.

I'm looking forward to him wiping up a number of bodies along the boards on regular basis.

I'm expecting him to get quite a bit of ice backending the Sedin line...
I'll be looking forward to him getting a few big bangers thru and creating dangerous rebound chances.
If the shots works to create some chances at 5on5, I expect him to get a look on PP soon there after.

Hopefully he's been able to put the work in after his crazy summer of wedding/honeymoon/new country/new language...
It will be a massive transition of a summer for him... hopefully he's found time to train!!

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He looked great last year i think will suprise a lot of people. Looks like the real deal. If he plays the right side will after a handfull of games onock that Goober to the third pairing where he should be. Depth will look like this

Tanman
Eddie
Hutty
Trammer
Sbisa
Goober/Biega
Pedan
Larsen

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I'd be thrilled if he could lock down a bottom-pairing spot and just be steady defensively. I really wish Utica was an option here though. Even if he'd just spend half of the year there, it would be nice to see what he could do with more ice-time.

Though to be fair, I guess that depends on what happens in training camp.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'd be thrilled if he could lock down a bottom-pairing spot and just be steady defensively. I really wish Utica was an option here though. Even if he'd just spend half of the year there, it would be nice to see what he could do with more ice-time.

Though to be fair, I guess that depends on what happens in training camp.

Yeah this is my thought as well. Just be dependable low-event bottom pairing defender and I'll be relatively happy. Depends on the pairings too. If he's stuck with Sbisa I am going to significantly lower my expectations.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hoping his physicality continues....thing that impressed me more than anything last year were the hits he dished out, and then not backing down...kinda surprised me because he came in with the reputation of being a bit of a gentle giant....if he keeps it up, he'll be a load for fore-checkers to handle in his own zone.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
iam expecting criticism 40 games in when he has like 9 points.

"why isnt this guy chara yet"

:picard:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He'll be one of 5 guys competing for the 3rd pairing. Larsen is an unknown, Biega is expendable and likely waived, Pedan needs more evaluation and Sbisa has been evaluated enough. He'll get a decent chance to take the next step. HF will :rant:

Biega better than Sbisa or Pedan. That should put him on the roster, but pizza dough gives him a slot. Pedan is "so big, hits people, and can fight" which probably wastes a slot on him as well.

Biega's none of those so he doesn't draw attention when he makes most of the plays, moves the puck, keeps the puck outside, wins battles on the boards or at least neutralizes the rush. Not big, tough, and g-r-r-r-r enough so automatically expendable.

Pedan is flat out not ready for the NHL. Keep him and he'll be in the press box and a year or two from now he'll be back in Europe, a possible 5/6 never realized. He can't get better and learn what he doesn't know in practice or eating popcorn. Biega can do that and then enter a game and give you a solid effort. He's much better than Weber, Bartkowski, or Sbisa and would fill the odd man out role that every club needs very well.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
liked his game last year and expect he will improve this season as he adapts to the NHL size ice and game he did not look out of place at all and physically he showed he can be a force .

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
Biega better than Sbisa or Pedan. That should put him on the roster, but pizza dough gives him a slot. Pedan is "so big, hits people, and can fight" which probably wastes a slot on him as well.

Biega's none of those so he doesn't draw attention when he makes most of the plays, moves the puck, keeps the puck outside, wins battles on the boards or at least neutralizes the rush. Not big, tough, and g-r-r-r-r enough so automatically expendable.

Pedan is flat out not ready for the NHL. Keep him and he'll be in the press box and a year or two from now he'll be back in Europe, a possible 5/6 never realized. He can't get better and learn what he doesn't know in practice or eating popcorn. Biega can do that and then enter a game and give you a solid effort. He's much better than Weber, Bartkowski, or Sbisa and would fill the odd man out role that every club needs very well.

Biega is fine on the bottom pair and not the worst of that bunch, but I'm hoping that some of these guys pan out into some kind of higher value asset. Some of them will need to be moved to make room for the next guys in line. Biega's potential has been realized, he'd also make a great Captain for the Comets.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Tries hard, but does NOT win enough board battles like you suggest, not strong enough in front of the net, not effective enough with the puck, no threat to the opposition in the offensive zone, barely has an AHL caliber shot, only looks like he's a capable skater after he gets a chance to wind up and his little legs look like Speedy Gonzalez with how short his strides are.

IF we need to ice Biega in our top 6... we really are in trouble.
Edler, Sbisa, Gudbranson, Larsen, Tryamkin, Tanev, Hutton should easily push him down... and if it comes down to a toss up between Pedan and Biega on the number 8 (since it looks like we'll be carrying 8 going into game 1)... its a no brainer decision of who gets waived to Utica. Ideally it would take 3 injuries before we see him iced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad