Player Discussion: Nikita Nesterov

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
Ducks fan here. First of all, good luck to you guys in game 7. I hope you win and we finish off the Blackhawks tonight and play you guys for the Stanley Cup. I think it would be a great series for the NHL and really fun to watch. There are a lot of exciting young players on both teams.

Anyway, I watched all your first round games and Nesterov looked awesome that series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has been scratched in about half the games since, right? Why is that? Because Garrison came back?

Also, I was curious and wondering what kind of point production you lightning fans expect out of Nesterov next year. Think he's going to be a 30 plus point player? And do you think he'll be a lock to get consistent PP time? He's the 2nd defensemen on the PP depth chart behind Hedman, correct?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
At first I thought he was just being lucky with all the good point plays and offensive rushes but it's been too many good games in a row to be lucky.
He's just good... much better than expected.

He should be our 2nd PP d-guy until Tony is ready and should be a lock in the team next year... unless they keep carle.
If god is merciful Carle will be gone next year

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
At first I thought he was just being lucky with all the good point plays and offensive rushes but it's been too many good games in a row to be lucky.
He's just good... much better than expected.

He should be our 2nd PP d-guy until Tony is ready and should be a lock in the team next year... unless they keep carle.
If god is merciful Carle will be gone next year

I completely agree. Trade Carle away even if we have to include a 2nd to get rid of his contract. Nesterov is already better, by far. He's a smart player at an age when that's rare, plus he has offensive skills. He'll only get better.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Ducks fan here. First of all, good luck to you guys in game 7. I hope you win and we finish off the Blackhawks tonight and play you guys for the Stanley Cup. I think it would be a great series for the NHL and really fun to watch. There are a lot of exciting young players on both teams.

Anyway, I watched all your first round games and Nesterov looked awesome that series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has been scratched in about half the games since, right? Why is that? Because Garrison came back?

Also, I was curious and wondering what kind of point production you lightning fans expect out of Nesterov next year. Think he's going to be a 30 plus point player? And do you think he'll be a lock to get consistent PP time? He's the 2nd defensemen on the PP depth chart behind Hedman, correct?

Because we need to have Carle and Sustr together apparently :help:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He was one of the few who tried to make some plays last night. You looked pretty confident out there. In the 3rd he rushed to puck into the zone and went for a drive behind the Leafs net but nobody else on the team cared enough to get open for a pass. He's still a bit shaky defensively but I really like how he's always trying to make something happen offensively.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
He was one of the few who tried to make some plays last night. You looked pretty confident out there. In the 3rd he rushed to puck into the zone and went for a drive behind the Leafs net but nobody else on the team cared enough to get open for a pass. He's still a bit shaky defensively but I really like how he's always trying to make something happen offensively.

He's still enduring the kind of prophetical sophomore slump but a lite one, it's not like he fell apart but he definitely came back down to earth. Bowness is pushing him out of his comfort zone because he wants Nestea to focus firstly on how to play decent defense first. So his offensive game is kind of disrupted at the moment due to the learning process, despite still being capable to create offense on his own.

Some games he's flying out there, plays physical and full of awareness, most of the time he's making mistakes. It's ok because it's only his second year, just look how Sustr slowly became an useful asset. Takes time to develop those young defenders but next season will be crucial for Nesterov, he's got to be a bit more consistent.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida

He's also one of our few defensemen who can shoot through traffic.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Where is he on Tampa's depth chart?

What do you see as his upside?

And is he defensively responsible?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL

Well we keep giving him way more minutes than he deserves. He should be a 6/7 but we play him like a 4/5 guy.

As for defensively responsible...

200.gif

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

You want to know how important he is to us, when it's late in the game and we need a goal he's Cooper's go to guy. Right there should tell you that you have a better chance of getting just about any other defender from us than Nesterov.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Hey all, lurker here, first post, standard formalities/introductions/etc. TL;DR inbound, apologies in advance.

I mean, I get the scapegoating of Nestea, I do. But I also remember how irritating Sustr was to watch until everything started to click about 3/4ths of the way through the season in which we went to the finals. Project d-men take time. You simply have to be patient. The potential I see in Nesterov is well worth the frequent facepalms, some (NOT all) of which this year have been the result of outright bad luck (freaky puck bounces/deflections, broken sticks, etc.)

Basically, as I see it, the reward of having him turn into the d-man that he seems like he could be far outweighs the "risk" of giving him nights off when he's playing poorly. Maybe I've been watching a different team than some of you, but there were an infuriating number of games last year where Nesterov was one of about 4-5 guys on the team who could consistently, reliably skate the puck into the offensive zone without coughing it up at the blueline (incidentally, Flipper's one of those 4-5 guys, too.). I'm seeing a lot of the same thing this year, even on the power play.

I mean, like it or not, the trap (or at least a hybrid/derivative of it) is being employed by a lot more teams this year than it was 2-3 years ago (particularly in the East... most of the West has been at it for a while now), hence, honestly, a lot of our current struggles*. This exactly why I feel that Nesterov is earning his place in the lineup. Short of a full rebuild with full compliment of bigger, stronger, slower, less creative, boring, boring, boring a** North-South power forwards (the very thought of which makes me nauseous, especially since it's clearly the direction the dinosaurs in Toronto would prefer the league to go), you have to deal with the odd mistakes that Nesterov makes as long as he's blockade running at the other end of the ice and generating chances where other guys are struggling... *cough* Killorn *cough* Palat and TJ *cough* everybody not named Kucherov, Filppula, Hedman, or Stralman on far too many nights.

*I'm also begining to suspect that the team's gradual decline in effort is partially a result of the shifting of play in the league overall. Most of the guys we have are above-average skill guys who have zero desire to waste their time or energy rolling around in the mud with pigs. If true, I honestly can't say that I blame them... they're being paid to play hockey, not Red Rover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad