Player Discussion: Nikita Nesterov

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Typically callups can look amazing for <10 games, after that they regress a bit and that's when you can see where they're really at development wise. No reason to hype him up just yet really.

I was cautiously optimistic, heavy on the caution, but reserving judgement. But last night was impressive because Nesterov made a pretty ridiculously bad play and then went on with the game as if nothing happened. Gotta like that poise, particularly in a player who's not really supposed to be here right now.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Typically callups can look amazing for <10 games, after that they regress a bit and that's when you can see where they're really at development wise. No reason to hype him up just yet really.

Quoted for truth. Last example I remember, Damon Severson started his rookie campaign like an elite dman with the Devils but came down to earth after 10-15 games. He still played extremely well for a rookie dman before his injury but not like an elite one anymore.

I absolutely love what Nestea brought to the table up to now but it's true he still has a very long way to go. A regression must be expected, we'll see.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop on Nesterov:
"Actually I've been really impressed with Nesty. First of all he can skate, and he's not afraid and won't shy away from physical contact or anything like that. So he's been up in plays, he's created, he's got a pretty good shot, he's been getting pucks to the net. I think he's got assists in back-to-back games here where he's kind of created (and been) a big reason why those goals are scored. But he's gapped well ... all 3 zones he's been pretty impressive so he deserves to stay in the lineup and he's going to continue to do so. It's good for a guy who comes up from the minors and inched his way in. Now he's in, and he's been doing a good job for us."

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hey I got a few questions about Nesterov....

do u guys think he will stick around once injuries come back?
Do you think hes done enough to stay in NHL???
Any chance for PP time for him??
potential for him to put up good offensive numbers?

thanks guys!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A few questions....

do u guys think he will stick around once Carle is back?
Do you think hes done enough to stay in NHL???
Any chance for PP time for him??
potential for him to put up good offensive numbers?

I think he'll stick until Carle comes back and then either he or Witkowski will go down. I'd say no chance for PP time under Coop. Potential for offensive numbers in future seasons, but he'll probably be in and out of the lineup down the stretch.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Hey I got a few questions about Nesterov....

1. do u guys think he will stick around once injuries come back?
2. Do you think hes done enough to stay in NHL???
3. Any chance for PP time for him??
4. potential for him to put up good offensive numbers?

thanks guys!

1. No. He'll be back in Syracuse when Carle comes back. Witko is a righty shot...he'll stay until Gudas comes back.
2. I think he has performed about the same as Barberio. Barberio no options so he stays and healthy scratches while Nesterov goes back down.
3. No, although the Syracuse PP misses him.
4. Not this year. I think he will most likely be third pairing defenseman, 2nd PP QB, and about 25 to 30 pts per year production.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
1. No. He'll be back in Syracuse when Carle comes back. Witko is a righty shot...he'll stay until Gudas comes back.
2. I think he has performed about the same as Barberio. Barberio no options so he stays and healthy scratches while Nesterov goes back down.
3. No, although the Syracuse PP misses him.
4. Not this year. I think he will most likely be third pairing defenseman, 2nd PP QB, and about 25 to 30 pts per year production.

Any chance Nestarov forces Yzerman to trade Barbario by outplaying him up till deadline?... I mean sure there is a chance, but can anyone see that happening?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Any chance Nestarov forces Yzerman to trade Barbario by outplaying him up till deadline?... I mean sure there is a chance, but can anyone see that happening?

Doubt it. Cooper loves Barbs and pretty much ever single Norfolk/Syracuse player would walk through fire on broken glass for Barbs. Apparently he's that good of a teammate.

But you never know. Barbs isn't untouchable by a long shot and he could certainly be tossed into any trade to get a piece that upgrades the team. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him either.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012

I don't see it. Nesterov can still learn in the A and Barberio, while not as good as once hoped, is still an alrigth bottom pairing/ #7 defender. We tend to keep guys in the A as long as we can until they force the organization to keep them oon the big club and Nesterov is far far away from that. But I expect him to be here fulltime next season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't see it. Nesterov can still learn in the A and Barberio, while not as good as once hoped, is still an alrigth bottom pairing/ #7 defender. We tend to keep guys in the A as long as we can until they force the organization to keep them oon the big club and Nesterov is far far away from that. But I expect him to be here fulltime next season.

Ok thanks!! I just find it kind of a bad sign when a guy that cant be sent back to minors(Barbario) gets healthy scratched a lot in favor of a dman that can be sent to AHL at anytime. Usually just means to me that Cooper feels the team is better with that player he dresses. By reading interviews by Cooper, it seems like he loves Nesterov. Ill be curious what happens!!!.... A great problem to have for a great up n coming and exciting team that is a serious contender

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
The only reason Nesty gets iced when Barbs sits is because Nesty can play the right side. Barbs can't. Barbs has been much better this year, but that's mainly because he's one of the few D who is actually slotted correctly. In games where his TOI has been boosted, he's actually stood out as good imo.

Nesty started out great, slotted lower. Cooled off some as most rookies do. Promises to be a pretty solid bottom pairing versatile D(R and L sides), who can sometimes play #3/4 minutes if pressed into it. If he got some time on PP2 it'd be great too. It's not like our current PP is working for ****.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
The only reason Nesty gets iced when Barbs sits is because Nesty can play the right side. Barbs can't. Barbs has been much better this year, but that's mainly because he's one of the few D who is actually slotted correctly. In games where his TOI has been boosted, he's actually stood out as good imo.

Nesty started out great, slotted lower. Cooled off some as most rookies do. Promises to be a pretty solid bottom pairing versatile D(R and L sides), who can sometimes play #3/4 minutes if pressed into it. If he got some time on PP2 it'd be great too. It's not like our current PP is working for ****.

Never saw him play the right side in Syracuse...what makes you think he has proven he can play that side? He has played the left side exclusively with the Lightning...

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

I don't like his nickname very much, but you missed a golden opportunity here. :shakehead

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Maybe Tobias Enstrom? Not a big guy, but a good skater with good skills and good offensive instincts.

I can't see him producing that much points to be honest. I can't really think of a guy that fits perfectly in the same mold, but IMO he will develop into the Stralman direction. Do it all defender, that gets the job done with some perfect offensive plays here and there. Not saying they play the exact same style, but the mold is the same IMO.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Never saw him play the right side in Syracuse...what makes you think he has proven he can play that side? He has played the left side exclusively with the Lightning...

Look who's playing RD with Garrison on LD tonight. Seems as if they are switching Right and Left sides. Particularly on DZone draws.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad