Player Discussion: Nikita Gusev

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
No clue if he has an out clause but I don't think that's going to matter. His verbal commitment to the Lightning and joining Kucherov was nothing more than lip service. He's all in for Russia right now to win the highest honor the KHL has.

I think he has Panarin talent but we'll have to find that out in 2 years. Hopefully our team will be better by then and our roster will have some much needed turnover.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
SKA just traded for Pavel Buchnevich from Severstal a few days ago, so they're at least going to try for the Gagarin Cup.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Gusev's statistics in SKA 9 + 17 after 22 games. Panarin on the same line scored 62 points in 54 games.

After Druin's disaster it's obvious Tampa had to convince Gusev to move to NHL as hard as possible. He'd be an ideal winger for Stamkos: great skating, magic hands, phenomenal playmaker. But it looks like the team's management didn't see him as a valuable asset, that's why he prolonged his contract with SKA.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Very impressive season by Gusev so far. I'm hoping that he finds his way to the NHL. Considering we've wasted Drouin now, the pipeline is getting thin at forward.

Cooper needs to rethink his approach because first it was Connolly, now it's Drouin and the next one is gonna be Gusev if he doesn't cut the crap. Were it not for injuries Kucherov would probably be shoveling coal with the 4th liners right now or destroying the league on some other team.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think per KHL buyout rules a player can buy them selves out of a contract if they pay the club part of the remaining contract. I don't know the details but there is a buyout rule on the player's side

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I remember the 2012 draft where every round we would freak out that we hadn't picked Gusev yet. Then in the 7th round we took him :laugh: Yzerman must read these boards from time to time.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The goose at it again

Edit: WTF, it's his shootout goal from last year, ain't a new one. Forget it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I remember the 2012 draft where every round we would freak out that we hadn't picked Gusev yet. Then in the 7th round we took him :laugh: Yzerman must read these boards from time to time.

A similar thing happened with Brayden Point. The posters who really follow prospects (not me) started salivating over him somewhere in the second round. We got him with a 3rd. And wow has that looked like a brilliant pick.

TB fans know prospects. ;)

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Any chance he comes to the NHL next year? I think I read something about him just signing a 2 year extension in the KHL

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Any chance he comes to the NHL next year? I think I read something about him just signing a 2 year extension in the KHL

I guess he wouldn't sign that extension, if Tampa really wanted him. Like Chicago wanted Panarin for example. I bet they told him something like "we can't promise anything, you come and go to AHL to prove you're a worthy player". For a rising KHL star it didn't sound very encouraging.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Well considering Drouin had trouble cracking our lineup it would have been irresponsible to guarantee Gusev anything. Panarin is a different situation, he got to pick the perfect team for him, so don't give Chicago too much credit for wooing him over. He was specifically picking the NHL the whole time.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well considering Drouin had trouble cracking our lineup it would have been irresponsible to guarantee Gusev anything. Panarin is a different situation, he got to pick the perfect team for him, so don't give Chicago too much credit for wooing him over. He was specifically picking the NHL the whole time.

Don't you mean, that Panarin would have gone to AHL, if he had signed a contarct with Tampa? Or rather Tampa would never sign him, because he demanded out NHL clause?

Of course, it's Tampa's right, good for the team. I think they should trade Gusev's rights to other, less picky team. Perhaps they could be lucky enough to get 7th or even 6th for him.

Btw is he eligible for the expansion draft?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Don't you mean, that Panarin would have gone to AHL, if he had signed a contarct with Tampa? Or rather Tampa would never sign him, because he demanded out NHL clause?

Of course, it's Tampa's right, good for the team. I think they should trade Gusev's rights to other, less picky team. Perhaps they could be lucky enough to get 7th or even 6th for him.

Tampa will sign him, he is not 30, I do not see the problem in playing one or two more seasons in the khl

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

I don't suppose you already have that team in mind?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
He helped Buchnevich to get his last 3 points (and both today's goals), so Rangers could trade for him. They need better scoring as well.

Another 3 points for Gusev btw. Now 47 points in 52 games. And 33 points in 29 games since the trade.

sigh... yeah, I'm sure Yzerman would trade the rights of one of the best KHL players.
Yzerman will sign him when he finishes his contract, he's good enough to start in the NHL, no doubt about it.
Plus, I'm sure there might be some clause in that contract so that he can go earlier to the NHL.

Last edited:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
4 points for the Goose in the 4-0 SKA win over Dynamo Moscow today. 11 points in 9 playoffs game so far. Epitome of a breakout season. Just imagine if one day...

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
4 points for the Goose in the 4-0 SKA win over Dynamo Moscow today. 11 points in 9 playoffs game so far. Epitome of a breakout season. Just imagine if one day...

We have to make this happen soon. The Lightning need turnover. I love our team but guys like Filppula and Callahan regularly go a month between goals. We can't expect to win a championship playing like that

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Scored the series-clinching goal against Dynamo yesterday. The Goose has now 14 points in 11 games. SKA will face CSKA in the Western Conference Finals starting next tuesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad