Post-Game Talk: Niemi has the game of his life in a 5-1 win vs Florida. P.S. Ekblad sucks.

POTG (15/01/2019)?

• Total voters

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Didn't think Habs would have gotten the points they got lately. Kudos to them. Great determination. Incredible game by Niemi who I thought didn't have that in him anymore.

Reactions: CapSpace

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Chaput follows up his awful penalty last game by throwing a pizza up the middle for a goal this game, it is ridiculous how bad he is.

1 puck over the glass...and 1 blunder because of a Reilly suicide pass...and then he's awful. Of course. He is a 4th liner. Expendable just like 95% of the 4th liners. Like Agostino too who doesn't bring anything anymore. Peca was awful too. Hudon is awful as a 4th liner. Deslauriers can be awful too.

Incredible how Bergevin seems to continuously acquire 4th liners.....and all of our 4th liners suck....

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Bergevin is just completely inconsistent. You'd imagine that you're right, but then, he also went after Vanek, Semin and Radulov.
He talks about character but goes after Drouin who refused to report to AHL in TB and as a young prospect already asks to be traded, and gets cokehead party boy Kassian that doesn't last a game...
So, you assume he has some interest in skill and talent, but then moves Subban, lets Markov walk and brings in talentless plugs.

He's all over the map.

The truth. Period. Tell me who is easily available, I'll tell you what my philosophy is.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Setup on Webers goal was nice though.
Yes, I will conceed that but did you possibly catch the other 58 minutes of last nights game? Drouin barely had a pulse and it will get to the point where he will have to be reunited with Domi again because he wont do anything on a line where he is not having the puck given to him.

Reactions: Habs Icing

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Didn't think Habs would have gotten the points they got lately. Kudos to them. Great determination. Incredible game by Niemi who I thought didn't have that in him anymore.
He's not going to make 52 saves a night like that all of the time as you know already. A win changes everything but the reality is that we just gave up 93 shots in a back to back with at least 30 of those being what I would call 5 star scoring chances from the top danger area on the ice. Our D is so very very bad. Mete and Weber are the only two that consistently seem to be holding the fort but everyone else is a toss up. We will need to get this type of goaltending for it all to continue but that's not fair to both goalies but it's probably the only way we keep this going.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
He's not going to make 52 saves a night like that all of the time as you know already. A win changes everything but the reality is that we just gave up 93 shots in a back to back with at least 30 of those being what I would call 5 star scoring chances from the top danger area on the ice. Our D is so very very bad. Mete and Weber are the only two that consistently seem to be holding the fort but everyone else is a toss up. We will need to get this type of goaltending for it all to continue but that's not fair to both goalies but it's probably the only way we keep this going.
Watch a Leafs game and tell me who has a bad D.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
We should send them some of our D, I wonder if they would send us one of their forwards?
I would trade anything on our team for Matthews or Marner, don't get me wrong. Thing is, even with all their star power up front they suck ass defensively. They won't make it very far with their current roster on the back end.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Totally agree. Not saying we are a great team or better team than I thought. Just saying that I didn't think we'd come up with the points we did lately. And totally thought Niemi was just done. He won't be able to do what he did yesterday every day....but he might still has some juice left.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Where dem Niemi haters at? A few of you dissed my boy after that Tampa game.

Best goaltending performance by a Habs goalie this season.

52 saves...wow!
eehhhh, no

it's not even been the best goaltending performance this week.

and after the tampa debacle, niemi is back to even ground.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
1 puck over the glass...and 1 blunder because of a Reilly suicide pass...and then he's awful. Of course. He is a 4th liner. Expendable just like 95% of the 4th liners. Like Agostino too who doesn't bring anything anymore. Peca was awful too. Hudon is awful as a 4th liner. Deslauriers can be awful too.

Incredible how Bergevin seems to continuously acquire 4th liners.....and all of our 4th liners suck....
Im no Bergie fan, but 99% of the fans from 31 teams want better players on their 4th line and everybody hates their 3rd pair on D.

BTW......4th line of the 2002 Red Wings ? Zetterberg - Datzuik - Luc Robitille

The Cap put a stop to that.

Everyone has to carry the equal amount of stars players and equal share of the pluggers. ( Board room meeting with Gary and the owners long ago)

Bettman and the NHL refer to it as parity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Totally agree. Not saying we are a great team or better team than I thought. Just saying that I didn't think we'd come up with the points we did lately. And totally thought Niemi was just done. He won't be able to do what he did yesterday every day....but he might still has some juice left.
I'm in the same boat, I had us sniffing at a top 10 pick but then all of a sudden things have changed lol.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
No he wont make 52 saves like that every night. Im told no Canadiens goalie has ever done it. Apparently a franchise record for a road game.

It takes a really bad effort for your goalie to even get the chance to make 52 saves.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
eehhhh, no

it's not even been the best goaltending performance this week.

and after the tampa debacle, niemi is back to even ground.
Im not a huge fan of the habs back up goalie.........but it was a franchise record.

Just because you have been cutting him up does not mean you have to be insulted about the performance everyone in Hockey is hearing about this morning. Credit where credit is due.

Granted Dryden, Roy and Plante never had the chance to make 52 saves against a garbage non play off team.....because they never played for a team as bad as the 019 Canadiens. However I am surprised Carey has not had a 52 save road game. He has played for some brutal teams since arriving in the NHL.

None the less Niemi was the best Hab in the arena last night.

(bonus for the habs that Riemer was was in the other net) Now that guy stinks. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
he slows things down too much. has the burden to create. he needs to start skating and things will happen for him.

Precisely this. He plays great when he’s skating and making hard passes. When he’s trying to be cute? He looks like shit.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

To be fair though, the Habs coming off an emotional win against Boston and playing their 3 game in 4 nights against a team who is desperate to win. I agree that giving up 90 shots in 2 games isn't good at all but the team has generally done a good job this season managing that. That said, we really do need a 2nd pairing LHD. The question is, who is available that makes sense for the habs to get.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
he slows things down too much. has the burden to create. he needs to start skating and things will happen for him.
He does not want like to risk getting hit at full speed. So he likes to slow it down. Only in wide open ice will he start skating hard. Thats what makes him useless for most of his shifts.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Because we have a GM who dislikes talented players.....not enough character or the right attitude.

Kovy and Koivu were our last two skilled players.....the grinders shoot it in the corner, and go and try to get it back.
"It all starts with CAA-REEE"

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
18 year olds aren't supposed to be pulling power moves like that while showcasing that much skill in the NHL. Kotkaniemi is special.
Was in Costa Rica on vacation.........On that goal Reimer reminded me of a sloth we saw there.

Last edited:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
These tend to even out during the season. We've also played a bunch of games where we've outshot, outhit and out-possessed the opponent and came out of it with zero points.

Reactions: Habs Icing

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Im not a huge fan of the habs back up goalie.........but it was a franchise record.

Just because you have been cutting him up does not mean you have to be insulted about the performance everyone in Hockey is hearing about this morning. Credit where credit is due.

Granted Dryden, Roy and Plante never had the chance to make 52 saves against a garbage non play off team.....because they never played for a team as bad as the 019 Canadiens. However I am surprised Carey has not had a 52 save road game. He has played for some brutal teams since arriving in the NHL.

None the less Niemi was the best Hab in the arena last night.

(bonus for the habs that Riemer was was in the other net) Now that guy stinks. :sarcasm:

I don't judge a goalies performance by shots or shot attempts. if one did, montreal ( from the outside) would have been a killer last year. Not all shot are equal, and although he played well last night he was also given a pretty big cushion in terms of goal support. He lets one of his good saves in the third go by him, we are still sitting pretty. he lets in two in the third and we are STILL in it.

That's s a HELL of a lot different that being up 2-1 and under seige for the last 10 minutes of a 59 minytes and change game.

he's a good backup. even great backups have bad games ( tampa) but the people saying that this was one for the ages, I just do not see it.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
i was at the game yesterday, first in quite a while. God the game is faster now. No time to react. 1st period was a really boring one from MTL perspective. I was in a corner where MTL attack in the 2nd si I was able to see the 3 2nd period goals pretty clear, unlike KK toe drag. Everyone is praising Niemi, wich is fine, but he's probably the most untechinical goalie i've seen. Every save seems like an adventure and his rebound control is pretty bad. Remind me a bit of Halak.

The player that most impress me was Mete. I don't know who should get credit for his rebirth since getting send down (beside himself), but he was the best defensive D-men outthere yesterday. I was a bit surprise too to see him get that many shortended minutes. Kid seems to have find his game.

I like Domi's intensity but i'm not sure it's good for him/team to always get in scrums. Gotta have a bit more control. Anyway a great night overall for a game against the Panthers on a back to back. Place was packed wich wouldn't have been last year.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad