Post-Game Talk: Niemi has the game of his life in a 5-1 win vs Florida. P.S. Ekblad sucks.

POTG (15/01/2019)?

• Total voters

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
1 puck over the glass...and 1 blunder because of a Reilly suicide pass...and then he's awful. Of course. He is a 4th liner. Expendable just like 95% of the 4th liners. Like Agostino too who doesn't bring anything anymore. Peca was awful too. Hudon is awful as a 4th liner. Deslauriers can be awful too.

Incredible how Bergevin seems to continuously acquire 4th liners.....and all of our 4th liners suck....

"all of your 4th liners are belong to us !"

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
No he wont make 52 saves like that every night. Im told no Canadiens goalie has ever done it. Apparently a franchise record for a road game.

It takes a really bad effort for your goalie to even get the chance to make 52 saves.

I'm not sure what the road record is, but I saw the list on TSN last night, and it's the 3rd most in habs history.

I'm pretty sure that includes regular season only, as I clearly remember at least one occasion where a goalie stopped more (patrick Roy).

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
To be fair though, the Habs coming off an emotional win against Boston and playing their 3 game in 4 nights against a team who is desperate to win. I agree that giving up 90 shots in 2 games isn't good at all but the team has generally done a good job this season managing that. That said, we really do need a 2nd pairing LHD. The question is, who is available that makes sense for the habs to get.
I am in no mans land here because I just wanted a good draft pick and I don't know what to say about it all tbh.

Reactions: Runner77

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
The player that most impress me was Mete. I don't know who should get credit for his rebirth since getting send down (beside himself), but he was the best defensive D-men outthere yesterday. I was a bit surprise too to see him get that many shortended minutes. Kid seems to have find his game.
Mete has really been impressing me since he was called back up from Laval. I've liked how much he's engaging in rushes up the ice recently too, if he can find his offensive game in the NHL he'll be quite the player since he is already good in his own end and an amazing skater.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I'm not sure what the road record is, but I saw the list on TSN last night, and it's the 3rd most in habs history.

I'm pretty sure that includes regular season only, as I clearly remember at least one occasion where a goalie stopped more (patrick Roy).
Believe you are right. If I heard it right (and I think I did) It the most saves in franchise history in a regular season game on the road. ha!

I think Halak might have a play off game in that range too.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I don't judge a goalies performance by shots or shot attempts. if one did, montreal ( from the outside) would have been a killer last year. Not all shot are equal, and although he played well last night he was also given a pretty big cushion in terms of goal support. He lets one of his good saves in the third go by him, we are still sitting pretty. he lets in two in the third and we are STILL in it.

That's s a HELL of a lot different that being up 2-1 and under seige for the last 10 minutes of a 59 minytes and change game.

he's a good backup. even great backups have bad games ( tampa) but the people saying that this was one for the ages, I just do not see it.
Stats are stats.

I know what you are saying. Eye test is a matter of opinion though.

We can throw all stats out the window then. Not all saves are equal I agree. But neither are all goals, assists, shut outs, wins, or losses.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs are nothing without Niemi? Sorry, I could not resit and I will not pass up the opportunity to squash the stupid "Habs are nothing without Price" narrative we have been labeled over the years. Price is one darn good goalie but all good goalies need a good team in front of them. We put Price on a pedestal and ended up paying him as one of the best players in the game because of it when he is one of the best goalies, not the undisputed best.

Great game by the Boys. Kotkaniemi toe drag goal was awesome and he could of easily had a hat trick last night. Can't wait for this kid to show us what he can do at age 20+

Domi is like a dangerous dog. It's your fault if you touch him the wrong way. :laugh:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Stats are stats.

I know what you are saying. Eye test is a matter of opinion though.

We can throw all stats out the window then. Not all saves are equal I agree. But neither are all goals, assists, shut outs, wins, or losses.

Despite having good results ( some equate this with playing well) he looked super shaky a lot of times yesterday. Sometimes goalies fluke it out. last night was some night for niemi.

that's not to say he was awful, he was far from it. but because of the shot number thinking that this was one for the ages, I just don't get. And when you have a multiple goal cushion, its easier to play well because the first mistake doesnt sink you.

I'd much rather he play as a backup like he did last night, but he is kinda boom or bust.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Habs are nothing without Niemi? Sorry, I could not resit and I will not pass up the opportunity to squash the stupid "Habs are nothing without Price" narrative we have been labeled over the years. Price is one darn good goalie but all good goalies need a good team in front of them. We put Price on a pedestal and ended up paying him as one of the best players in the game because of it when he is one of the best goalies, not the undisputed best.

Great game by the Boys. Kotkaniemi toe drag goal was awesome and he could of easily had a hat trick last night. Can't wait for this kid to show us what he can do at age 20+

Domi is like a dangerous dog. It's your fault if you touch him the wrong way. :laugh:

we scored 5, we didnt need him to be a world beater to win.

and without price, niemi might have games likes this intersperced with the tampa game as we rocket to the basement of the standings.

we go as far a price takes us is still 100% true. it mat not be entirely comfortable, but it is still true.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
we scored 5, we didnt need him to be a world beater to win.

and without price, niemi might have games likes this intersperced with the tampa game as we rocket to the basement of the standings.

we go as far a price takes us is still 100% true. it mat not be entirely comfortable, but it is still true.

Could of been a different result if he didn't keep us in the game.

Reactions: Habs Icing

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Could of been a different result if he didn't keep us in the game.
sure, I was thinking mostly in the third where he did most ( not all) of his best work against what was a pretty offensively feeble panther's team.

I'm not slagging him, he played well. but that wanst the best performance by a habs goalie in a week, much less in years.

if we get 75% of that for the rest of the games he plays, that would be great

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
These tend to even out during the season. We've also played a bunch of games where we've outshot, outhit and out-possessed the opponent and came out of it with zero points.
True. ButI think they are still talking about this one because it had the back up making 50 plus saves.

Not often the home team outhit, out possesses, outshoots the visiting team 50 plus shots and gets trounced on the score board 5-1.

I have no problem giving Niemi his due.

Will throw in there that he won a Cup as the starter in 010. Last time a goalie on the Habs won a Cup Saku Koivu was not even drafted.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
sure, I was thinking mostly in the third where he did most ( not all) of his best work against what was a pretty offensively feeble panther's team.

I'm not slagging him, he played well. but that wanst the best performance by a habs goalie in a week, much less in years.

He played well. He deserves the credit. Makes no sense trying down play it IMO.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Despite having good results ( some equate this with playing well) he looked super shaky a lot of times yesterday. Sometimes goalies fluke it out. last night was some night for niemi.

that's not to say he was awful, he was far from it. but because of the shot number thinking that this was one for the ages, I just don't get. And when you have a multiple goal cushion, its easier to play well because the first mistake doesnt sink you.

I'd much rather he play as a backup like he did last night, but he is kinda boom or bust.
Like most of the centermen the Habs have employed for far too long. :sarcasm:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Mete has really been impressing me since he was called back up from Laval. I've liked how much he's engaging in rushes up the ice recently too, if he can find his offensive game in the NHL he'll be quite the player since he is already good in his own end and an amazing skater.

He's been the Habs best overall player since his return imo. Ignore the point totals obviously but he's been a rock defensively while creating many grade a chances that the habs have sadly not been able to capitalize on.

Reactions: Redux91

incineratorz

Jan 9, 2012
I'm sorry to be the Debby downer of this thread, but Mike Reilly :thumbd:.

He's like the Lars Eller of defensmen. He has nice rushes with the puck but they NEVER lead to anything. That kid will never learn how to finish. He's a complete tool kit without the tool box.

Eller last year in the playoffs : 18 pts in 24 games and played great defensively.

bruhhhhh

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Switch goalies last night and man its ugly for the Habs.

So Niemi did his jib and more last night.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Eller last year in the playoffs : 18 pts in 24 games and played great defensively.

bruhhhhh
Best play off performance by a Hab since Cammy in 010.

Cammy and Larry are are 1-2 in best play off performances by a Montreal Canadien forward since the won the cup 25 years ago.

Reflects good on the two former Habs you might say. Reflects horribly pathetic on a once great organization.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

For sure he is. He is a MB signing after all.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He's been the Habs best overall player since his return imo. Ignore the point totals obviously but he's been a rock defensively while creating many grade a chances that the habs have sadly not been able to capitalize on.
Weber has been Habs best over all player.

Jul 6, 2016
Best play off performance by a Hab since Cammy in 010.

Cammy and Larry are are 1-2 in best play off performances by a Montreal Canadien forward since the won the cup 25 years ago.

Reflects good on the two former Habs you might say. Reflects horribly pathetic on a once great organization.

One was playing for the Habs.... The other one, for the Washington Caps.... Wake up !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad