OT: Nicknames/Slang explained

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
This is silly...why would anyone call him this

Silly, eh? So you're a big Seguin fan, ya say?:laugh:

Anyhow, Perhaps those fans who aren't in New England and maybe overseas where hockey isn't played and doesn't hear the terminology and nicknames on a regular basis as what is thrown around in discussion here (noting OP is from Australia and perhaps new to the team and the sport) something like this topic is helpful. Some of the names that are "obvious" to us may not be to others, especially considering regional influences.

McQuaid would be Mullet
Boychuk = Johnny Rocket (again, that's a pretty western phrase)
Tuukka = milkcrates
Kelly = Cage
Marchand = Rat
Paille = Pie
Campbell = Soup

Kind of off the top of my head as I sit here bored to death at a ballroom in Syracuse.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Silly, eh? So you're a big Seguin fan, ya say?:laugh:

Anyhow, Perhaps those fans who aren't in New England and maybe overseas where hockey isn't played and doesn't hear the terminology and nicknames on a regular basis as what is thrown around in discussion here (noting OP is from Australia and perhaps new to the team and the sport) something like this topic is helpful. Some of the names that are "obvious" to us may not be to others, especially considering regional influences.

McQuaid would be Mullet
Boychuk = Johnny Rocket (again, that's a pretty western phrase)
Tuukka = milkcrates
Kelly = Cage
Marchand = Rat
Paille = Pie
Campbell = Soup

Kind of off the top of my head as I sit here bored to death at a ballroom in Syracuse.

McQuaid will always be Darth Quaider to me. :D

I liked when Thornton called Bergeron "Irish fighter Patrick Cleary." :laugh:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

Patrick Cleary is seriously one of the best nicknames on the team.

They may be stupid to some but you can't forget Seidenmoose or Beaker.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport

Yeah, Darth is a good one too.

I suppose there's also team terminology, like the 9th floor (of the Garden) where the scratches/injured dudes hang out during games.

I spent about 40 minutes explaining the concept of cycling and "roll four lines" to a friend the other night. She's incredibly sports-savvy but is new to hockey and wanted to learn. I'll never knock someone who wants to learn and asks good questions....regardless of how long they've been following.

Hockey needs more fans, regardless of their level of knowledge, not less.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Yeah, Darth is a good one too.

I suppose there's also team terminology, like the 9th floor (of the Garden) where the scratches/injured dudes hang out during games.

I spent about 40 minutes explaining the concept of cycling and "roll four lines" to a friend the other night. She's incredibly sports-savvy but is new to hockey and wanted to learn. I'll never knock someone who wants to learn and asks good questions....regardless of how long they've been following.

Hockey needs more fans, regardless of their level of knowledge, not less.

Definitely. I had an older man sit next to me at a Bruins game once and he knew absolutely nothing - had never been to a hockey game before. He kept asking me questions about the game itself and the players and I was happy to answer them. :)

So much more fun than the yobbos proclaiming their ignorance at the top of their lungs. :shakehead :laugh:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I don't know, someone referred to a Bogo last night, thats what inspired this thread. I presume they were talking about someone on D as that was the topic of discussion what im at a loss.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I don't know, someone referred to a Bogo last night, thats what inspired this thread. I presume they were talking about someone on D as that was the topic of discussion what im at a loss.

They were talking about Zach Bogosian from Winnipeg. Bogosian = Bogo :)

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
So, I've tried searching for it, but I can't find any good sourcing, so I may as well ask it here: From whence does the Seidenmoose come?

I "get" the Yeti reference - previously, it was a rarely spotted legendary figure, referring to Soderberg's (loyalty to/stubborn refusal to leave) Malmo. We'd hear talk of him, but never see him. (BTW, now that he's regularly seen in daylight, doesn't he deserve a new name?)

Can someone tell me the legend of the Seidenmoose? Or was it an "I got drunk and photoshopped a Bs helmet on a moose" kind of thing?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
So, I've tried searching for it, but I can't find any good sourcing, so I may as well ask it here: From whence does the Seidenmoose come?

I "get" the Yeti reference - previously, it was a rarely spotted legendary figure, referring to Soderberg's (loyalty to/stubborn refusal to leave) Malmo. We'd hear talk of him, but never see him. (BTW, now that he's regularly seen in daylight, doesn't he deserve a new name?)

Can someone tell me the legend of the Seidenmoose? Or was it an "I got drunk and photoshopped a Bs helmet on a moose" kind of thing?

The legend that is Seidenmoose was created by me for Son of Marshmont's Land of Houses and Zoos GDT when we first played Columbus after Horton signed there.

We came up with animal names for each player and thus, Seidenmoose was born and he makes cameo's in other GDT's throughout the season.

Here's the link: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1514943

We were completely sober when we created this GDT btw.

Bruins Stooge

Spread Out
Aug 12, 2008
Hartford County CT
Zdeno Chara is known as "Big Z" because he is tall.

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

qc

Aug 23, 2011

There was a Zoo-themed GDT from this past season (game v. Columbus). SoM coined the nickname.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Definitely. I had an older man sit next to me at a Bruins game once and he knew absolutely nothing - had never been to a hockey game before. He kept asking me questions about the game itself and the players and I was happy to answer them. :)

So much more fun than the yobbos proclaiming their ignorance at the top of their lungs. :shakehead :laugh:

I had to explain a one-timer to a friend. After I said "It's a shot where you only touch the puck one time" he looked at me blankly, as if it couldn't possibly be that simple. I said "Yeah, hockey players really aren't that creative in naming stuff." I got the same look after explaining the 5 hole.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I had to explain a one-timer to a friend. After I said "It's a shot where you only touch the puck one time" he looked at me blankly, as if it couldn't possibly be that simple. I said "Yeah, hockey players really aren't that creative in naming stuff." I got the same look after explaining the 5 hole.

Well, creativity can be overdone - try explaining why "nutmeg" is a soccer term sometime. :laugh:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Well, creativity can be overdone - try explaining why "nutmeg" is a soccer term sometime. :laugh:

Soccer needs that type of creativity. It helps to strike up conversations in the boring times between chanting at the top of your lungs and crushing people in the stands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad