Post-Game Talk: Nicklas Backstrom is a great centre 7:07PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I feel like it's kind of nonsensical if Backy and Carlson are hurt and they don't take the time now when they are leading everyone by so much to get right or at least better.

Depends on the injury, right? Some injuries heal on their own with time. Others are only helped by surgery.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
The only reason I can think of why Kuzy isn't on the top line with OV is because of his faceoff percentages. Backstrom is at 52% on the top line, Kuzy is at 46% on the second line. I hope he can bring that up because he's a better fit with OV and Backstrom is a better fit with Williams.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
The only reason I can think of why Kuzy isn't on the top line with OV is because of his faceoff percentages. Backstrom is at 52% on the top line, Kuzy is at 46% on the second line. I hope he can bring that up because he's a better fit with OV and Backstrom is a better fit with Williams.

Agreed, I loved the 8-92-77 setup we saw earlier in the year. When Backy came back with Williams I thought they were fantastic together too.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Just watched the game, ugly for Holtby for once.. Still, feels good the offense bails him out for once =)

I just love the fact that this team keeps winning, no matter how the game looks.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Another slow start but they got 'er done in the end.
The Os for the win. Ovie, Orlov, Oshie and Orpik.
Beating desperate teams fighting for their playoff lives.
Arizona is next. Caps better not start slow again.
Let's go Caps!!!

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Watched the game replay.

Just gonna mention the pretty stuff, because everything else at this point is "blah blah regular season blah blah Caps win" :)

Kuz is gonna have a 5 assist game pretty soon. He must've made like 10 passes to people in killer scoring areas.

The Orpik goal was a thing of beauty by the whole 5-man unit. Almost exactly a one minute shift of offensive zone domination (Devils tired?). I think a big boost is Kuz and Orlov on the ice together, they read each other really well, and it opens up Orlov's offensive ability (with others, he is more hesitant to jump into the play, less confident, there is less time & space..). So I would try to match Orlov's pair shifts with Kuz, when possible, it's like a free offensive bonus, especially if Orpik's presence eases coaches' concern about the defensive side of things.

Though, even without Orlov, I think as far as chemistry, Kuz & Williams are certainly the best Caps combo I've seen in the Ovechkin era, and must be... let's say top-5 league-wide. Their individual and combined offensive IQ is ridiculous. If Caps were to put in Laich with them, I would not be surprised if he'd be on like a 20G pace starting tomorrow :)

Great return for Orpik, too. That was one thing that positively surprised me when he first suited up for the Caps -- he's got very decent puck skills. Will be interesting to see whether pairing him with Orlov keeps working. So far it has looked about 10x better than I expected, lol.

Sep 19, 2008
They always come out with a bad first, suffice it to say no one is getting free McDonalds Egg McMuffins, but in the end, they always end up winning. McDonalds is crap anyway.
I've seen many furious third period assaults on those poor opposing goalies. They are just getting lit up. I'm impressed with their fight and refusal to go away. They'll hammer away at you late and keep pounding. Good to see.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
When #44 and #9 are both on the ice, you must keep your head up :laugh:

My summary:
+ The "equal" amounts of minutes between D. I'd like to see those kind of minutes for the rest of the regular season. Don't like it when someone plays 28 minutes per night.
+ Orpik and Orlov +8 combined :laugh: :yo:
+ Kuzya
+ Ovi like a machine goal per game

- Alzner and Niskanen -6 combined, even if on the second and third goals, it's not really their mistakes.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
When #44 and #9 are both on the ice, you must keep your head up :laugh:

My summary:
+ The "equal" amounts of minutes between D. I'd like to see those kind of minutes for the rest of the regular season. Don't like it when someone plays 28 minutes per night.
+ Orpik and Orlov +8 combined :laugh: :yo:
+ Kuzya
+ Ovi like a machine goal per game

- Alzner and Niskanen -6 combined, even if on the second and third goals, it's not really their mistakes.

The black and blue brothers, Orpik and Orlov. Orlov and his hip checks in the last few games. :handclap:

Orpik's play may make it a very very quiet TDL for the Caps.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ov. 4 goals more than Kane in 6 fewer games with 4 games in hand. 7 more than 3rd place Seguin with 5 fewer and 3 games in hand.

He's going to score 10 more than 2nd again. Ridiculous.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's funny because guys like Kane, Seguin, Benn, and Marchand are having career goal scoring years and they aren't going to beat an "average" Ovechkin year where he pots ~55 goals.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
OV has 800 (more?) already if he's playing in the Gretzky's era.

Also, off topic, but hats off to Jagr. What a monster. And the guy skipped, what, 3 NHL seasons along the way...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Defensive thoughts: Orlov + Orpik is a fantastic pairing. This might be the best Orpik has ever looked for the Caps and that's not good for the rest of the league. Schmidt has looked pretty average the last few weeks. Wouldn't mind sitting him and giving Chorney a game or two. Carlson is looking better. Holtby looks bored.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Defensive thoughts: Orlov + Orpik is a fantastic pairing. This might be the best Orpik has ever looked for the Caps and that's not good for the rest of the league. Schmidt has looked pretty average the last few weeks. Wouldn't mind sitting him and giving Chorney a game or two. Carlson is looking better. Holtby looks bored.

Had same thoughts during the game.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
8 years and a blank check to Kuznetsov.

He is running away with the (HFBoards) Selke -award, his +30 are easily leading the NHL (2nd has +24).

Jun 15, 2007
Bench Carlson instead. No idea why he's playing injured. It's not like we were losing without him.

The reason we keep winning is because guys keep stepping up when others are sucking. Orpik sucks? Schmidt plays great. Now Schmidt and Carlson suck but Orlov and Orpik are monstrous.

Holtby sucks? Offense is good. Offense sucks? Holtby is good.

Next GDT title: Brooks Laich is a great hockey player...?

Last edited:

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
I've got to say what I've said elsewhere about Holtby and his supposed "bad" game. He made save after spectacular save in the first period, keeping the Caps in the game so they didn't have to come back in the 2nd or 3rd. And the majority of quality shots in the 2nd period were from the Devils, not the Caps. Of the three goals, only one--the last--is one that, yeah, Holts would have liked back. The other two were pretty dang hard goals to stop (especially the second).

So, what I'm reading is that a series of spectacular saves in the first, stopping a crap-ton of quality shots in the second, plus an inability to stop two fluky goals, one an amazing shot that just about no goaltender could have stopped, and yeah, one soft goal in the third, plus more great saves = Holtby having a bad night. I can't say I agree.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I've got to say what I've said elsewhere about Holtby and his supposed "bad" game. He made save after spectacular save in the first period, keeping the Caps in the game so they didn't have to come back in the 2nd or 3rd. And the majority of quality shots in the 2nd period were from the Devils, not the Caps. Of the three goals, only one--the last--is one that, yeah, Holts would have liked back. The other two were pretty dang hard goals to stop (especially the second).

So, what I'm reading is that a series of spectacular saves in the first, stopping a crap-ton of quality shots in the second, plus an inability to stop two fluky goals, one an amazing shot that just about no goaltender could have stopped, and yeah, one soft goal in the third, plus more great saves = Holtby having a bad night. I can't say I agree.

Well said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad